You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

4 hours ago, Pete said:

" I like the old stuff better than the new stuff" comes to mind wth new Trek, Wars etc. 

1. They are mostly shit and totally forget what they actually are.

2. They can never compare you the emotional attachment you have to the films & TV of your youth. 

That being said I do enjoy Lower Decks & The Mandalorian but these have one foot firmly in the past.  Picard was a massive disappointment & I've only really enjoyed S2 of Discovery when Pike was brought in. So I am hoping ST:SNW is a success as otherwise I may be done with Trek and that would be a terrible shame. 

Right, I'm off to watch 'Measure of a Man' and 'The Most Toys' for the umpteenth time. 

2 great episodes. The Inner Light is exceptional as well.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

2 great episodes. The Inner Light is exceptional as well.

Agreed on all counts.  I’ve tried to get the Mrs to watch TNG and she won’t have it. TOS, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise she’ll happily watch but not TNG.  

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agreed on all counts.  I’ve tried to get the Mrs to watch TNG and she won’t have it. TOS, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise she’ll happily watch but not TNG.  

How come? It's the best IMO.

Managed to hoodwink the Mrs into watching a clip from Darmok last night as she was telling me she's teaching about Gilgamesh at the moment.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

How come? It's the best IMO.

Managed to hoodwink the Mrs into watching a clip from Darmok last night as she was telling me she's teaching about Gilgamesh at the moment.

Not. A. Clue.

Doesn't like Riker. Thinks he’s slimy but it’s just never appealed to her. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Not. A. Clue.

Doesn't like Riker. Thinks he’s slimy but it’s just never appealed to her. 

Dunno how you can't love Riker. As a teenager I always imagined myself as Riker even though I looked like David Mellor. I even used to do that Riker leg swing when sitting down on the stools in an art lesson. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Who is the audience for this dross? What are they aiming for? Mind-boggling.

I think it's grimly fascinating, even though it's leading to the death of art in some franchises. 

The audience would appear to be, for want of a better description, anxious young people. 

The stories are about affirmation of things like body positivity (that's why Tilly is a unit), being a strong and independent woman, gay or non binary etc. 

The message is that it doesn't matter if you're soft, not qualified, fat or whatever, shit will work out in the end because your mates all love you. 

There's little time in this equation for actual good writing though, so you can call an episode 'the return of Khan!' and show one of the Specsavers advert quality actors watching an old video clip of Ricardo Montalban on the viewscreen, and if anyone calls it shite it's because they're part of what they call 'the fandom menace'. Old fat lads sat in a basement hating on things because they contain women and ethnic minorities, and for no other reason at all.

The producers of that Eternals shite said something recently like 'looks like we're upsetting all the right people!'

What, like the erm, fans?

The reason I loved the Mandalorian and not The Rise of Skywalker isn't because the latter had a chubby oriental bird in it and strong powerful women, but because it was shite and the Mandalorian wasn't. It's that simple.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Dunno how you can't love Riker. As a teenager I always imagined myself as Riker even though I looked like David Mellor. I even used to do that Riker leg swing when sitting down on the stools in an art lesson. 

I love Riker. Great character. 

• Upvote 1

Whoopi Goldberg interviewing Martin Green and saying she's the first black woman to captain a ship on screen. Erm you wot m8?

Captain-of-the-Saratoga.jpg

It pisses me off this stuff because new Trek likes to make out it's breaking all sorts of boundaries but it's not.

First ever interracial kiss on TV in the 60s

Uhura, Dr Daystrom, Hispanic and black admirals telling Kirk what to do in the SIXTIES!

Janeway a female captain, Sisko a black captain, a TNG episode in 94 with a non gender character. 

They can't even do that right. So they have two gay and a non binary character to show inclusivity, but the first thing they do is combine them into a family unit because, you know, all gays stick together.

Or, whereas Janeway was a real woman, who had a boyfriend and a dog and fantasized about being in gothic novels and loved coffee, if she was written today she'd best everyone she met in a first fight like Jason Bourne and single handedly save the universe, not the federation, the whole universe, every year.

It's just bollocks, lightweight, trite, poorly written trash masquerading as groundbreaking, important work.

• Upvote 4

On 25/11/2021 at 09:01, Section_31 said:

Whoopi Goldberg interviewing Martin Green and saying she's the first black woman to captain a ship on screen. Erm you wot m8?

Captain-of-the-Saratoga.jpg

It pisses me off this stuff because new Trek likes to make out it's breaking all sorts of boundaries but it's not.

First ever interracial kiss on TV in the 60s

Uhura, Dr Daystrom, Hispanic and black admirals telling Kirk what to do in the SIXTIES!

Janeway a female captain, Sisko a black captain, a TNG episode in 94 with a non gender character. 

They can't even do that right. So they have two gay and a non binary character to show inclusivity, but the first thing they do is combine them into a family unit because, you know, all gays stick together.

Or, whereas Janeway was a real woman, who had a boyfriend and a dog and fantasized about being in gothic novels and loved coffee, if she was written today she'd best everyone she met in a first fight like Jason Bourne and single handedly save the universe, not the federation, the whole universe, every year.

It's just bollocks, lightweight, trite, poorly written trash masquerading as groundbreaking, important work.

Spot on. Newer Trek (yes Discovery I’m looking at you) seems to have a checklist of things it has to cover opposed to earlier series where things happened naturally.

As for Discovery S4 I’d rather wait for it when it’s officially available rather then having to watch on a channel I’ve never heard off.   Awful decision by the execs tho to pull it from Netflix a day before it was due to air. 

I'm sure I'd be accused of being a luddite in certain circles but looking at the Discovery episode promo shots every week is like playing spot the bloke. 

This episode, two Romulan ninja women from that all female romulan ninja sect in Picard rob something, Burnham and Tilly head off in pursuit with the backing of the female president and female head of Vulcan/Romulus. 

I'm all for equality, but one would think that included some sort of equality.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Section_31 said:

Anyone watched any of the new Discovery by download etc? I keep seeing clips of it and it looks comfortably the worst thing I've ever seen. 

Putting it on their own Pluto service is comfortably the worst decision the company has made. I've not watched it bar the first episode which was actually pretty good. Pluto has to be one of the worst streaming services available, it's live TV on an app with no way of watching anything on catch-up bar shitty films.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm waiting for it to be available so I can watch it when I want to. Given I'm not the biggest fan of it anyway I'm happy to wait. Not reading any reviews of it so not seeing spoilers.  

Streams are on the usual places. But it's just a ball ache to watch a fair to middling show in slightly reduced quality.

14 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Streams are on the usual places. But it's just a ball ache to watch a fair to middling show in slightly reduced quality.

Precisely.
If this was 1990 and I was desperate to watch TNG then I'd be all over streams but it's Discovery. Not gonna fret about not seeing it yet.  Yes I was fucked off when it was pulled from Netflix two days before it was supposed to air but it's a pale imitition of Trek compared to ToS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager (Post Kes).  Never really enjoyed Enterprise so gave up on that quite quickly (still felt more like Trek than Discovery). 

28 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Putting it on their own Pluto service is comfortably the worst decision the company has made. I've not watched it bar the first episode which was actually pretty good. Pluto has to be one of the worst streaming services available, it's live TV on an app with no way of watching anything on catch-up bar shitty films.

Wait a second. Are you telling me that Pluto has no way of watching it on demand? What fucking year is this?

• Upvote 1

I’ve tried sticking with this, but this week was just ridiculous. Even the ships computer has got fucking emotional problems now, self-doubt, neurosis and paranoia. Everybody spends more time giving support and comfort to the person (or machine) next to them to get on with the main story line. No way this crew could function as a tight, efficient unit, rewatching TNG at the same time shows how it should be done.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Magellan06 said:

I’ve tried sticking with this, but this week was just ridiculous. Even the ships computer has got fucking emotional problems now, self-doubt, neurosis and paranoia. Everybody spends more time giving support and comfort to the person (or machine) next to them to get on with the main story line. No way this crew could function as a tight, efficient unit, rewatching TNG at the same time shows how it should be done.

That makes me physically sick. 

00d93b4160dfdbfa6e53b70836bfd2e4.gif