Jump to content
madstock

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

Star Trek  

112 members have voted

  1. 1. Star Trek

    • Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)


Recommended Posts

I'm just totally underwhelmed now with new Star Trek.

 

Keep getting stuff in my news feed along the lines of 'lower decks answers this longstanding borg plot hole' or 'it's official, Chakotay joins the cast of Star Trek prodigy."

 

Who cares, they're kids' cartoons. 

 

Discovery's new trailer looks like same old shite to me, some universe ending threat and Burnham solves it with the assistance of body positive image cadet who's now first officer and her mum.

 

Picard has gone to some kind of Mirror Universe but not mirror universe type authoritian storyline, which seems to be new trek's default now when they're out of ideas. 

 

I'm looking forward to Strange new Worlds still, but by and large it's become some kind of kids' franchise. It's by the numbers, almost like they're taking the piss out of you. Trek made by people who don't like Trek. Tom Hicks with a Liverpool mug.

 

 

You don't realise how far it's fallen until you watch one of the old shows on Netflix, watched Iborg recently (where they rescue Hugh and Picard has to grapple with sending him back as a weapon to kill the Borg), it's just pure Trek. Science fiction that makes you think and wonder what it is to be human. Great, rich characters who behave like thoughtful, intelligent adults

 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2021 at 12:51, Section_31 said:

I'm just totally underwhelmed now with new Star Trek.

 

Keep getting stuff in my news feed along the lines of 'lower decks answers this longstanding borg plot hole' or 'it's official, Chakotay joins the cast of Star Trek prodigy."

 

Who cares, they're kids' cartoons. 

 

Discovery's new trailer looks like same old shite to me, some universe ending threat and Burnham solves it with the assistance of body positive image cadet who's now first officer and her mum.

 

Picard has gone to some kind of Mirror Universe but not mirror universe type authoritian storyline, which seems to be new trek's default now when they're out of ideas. 

 

I'm looking forward to Strange new Worlds still, but by and large it's become some kind of kids' franchise. It's by the numbers, almost like they're taking the piss out of you. Trek made by people who don't like Trek. Tom Hicks with a Liverpool mug.

 

 

You don't realise how far it's fallen until you watch one of the old shows on Netflix, watched Iborg recently (where they rescue Hugh and Picard has to grapple with sending him back as a weapon to kill the Borg), it's just pure Trek. Science fiction that makes you think and wonder what it is to be human. Great, rich characters who behave like thoughtful, intelligent adults

 

 

There may be spoliers here but if people are watching the actual series, perhaps not?

 

Hmmmm. I dont know whether Im happy or hacked off I dont get these new 'Trek' series. Cartoons can get to fuck, they're for kids.

 

I see channels on YT where they bring you news about Trek. This Picard series just seems an excuse for a Trek re union convention and bringing old characters back. Seven maybe not seven anymore, she might be the new Borg queen, Riker back, Data resurrected them de atomised or whatever. Legions of 'synthetics' after 'Measure of a man' effectively closed that avenue off? Even Q has aged, yeah right.

 

Discovery stories just seem to be made up on the hoof. 800 years in the future, what's that all about. The main character suddenly turned into a starship Captain? A 32nd century Ferengi?

 

Number One in Strange New Worlds suggested to have been changed into a vulcan to fit developing story lines?! And maybe TPol is her great grandma?

 

They just seem to be filling plot holes in the hope that all the fans of the tv series will tune in and see something they like.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

There may be spoliers here but if people are watching the actual series, perhaps not?

 

Hmmmm. I dont know whether Im happy or hacked off I dont get these new 'Trek' series. Cartoons can get to fuck, they're for kids.

 

I see channels on YT where they bring you news about Trek. This Picard series just seems an excuse for a Trek re union convention and bringing old characters back. Seven maybe not seven anymore, she might be the new Borg queen, Riker back, Data resurrected them de atomised or whatever. Legions of 'synthetics' after 'Measure of a man' effectively closed that avenue off? Even Q has aged, yeah right.

 

Discovery stories just seem to be made up on the hoof. 800 years in the future, what's that all about. The main character suddenly turned into a starship Captain? A 32nd century Ferengi?

 

Number One in Strange New Worlds suggested to have been changed into a vulcan to fit developing story lines?! And maybe TPol is her great grandma?

 

They just seem to be filling plot holes in the hope that all the fans of the tv series will tune in and see something they like.

 

I think what really hits you now is how lightweight and dumb the science is.

 

When you see William Shatner going into space, you remember Star Trek wasn't just scifi stories, it was intelligent stuff that inspired generations of engineers and scientists. Astronauts have done cameos on Star Trek, as did Stephen Hawking. 

 

Modern Trek doesn't even attempt to be accurate, in any conceivable way 'a cadet being made first officer because her shipmates all assembled on deck to take turns saying 'ssy yes.' it's like fan fiction written by a depressed teenager. Wibble.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm enjoying Lower Decks because I enjoy the challenge of finding the references to the older shows (I'm sure I miss loads though).

 

Can't watch Discovery - it doesn't feel like Star Trek to me; I think I gave up on it after a murder which even present day forensic science would have solved quickly. "Lightweight and dumb" sums up the science perfectly.

 

Picard was better but I prefer the episodic nature of the earlier shows. At the moment I'm rewatching TNG - there are some brilliant episodes but you have to wade through a lot of mediocrity to find them. Strange New Worlds sounds promising and hopefully will be a return to proper storytelling.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with section that it’s all dumbed down, I kind of think it’s symptomatic of film and tv these days always having to have a tie in to guarantee an audience. they have to try and fit in a reference to classic trek as it’s a comfort blanket that allows them to hit the nostalgia card but what they don’t realise is that a lot of fans crave original storylines, new characters with exploration of morality and cultures in a realistic (within reason) sci fi setting.
 

Often it was the small stuff that really got you thinking and the relationships between the characters, new trek always has to have massive stakes, huge battles with it pretty much on the shoulders of a single character (Picard or Burnham).
 

I don’t mind Lower Decks but don’t really see it as official trek it’s more of an in universe comedy rather than anything cannon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind Lower Decks, I've found it more enjoyable than either Discovery or Picard to be perfectly honest. It's not a show to be taken seriously, just kind of mindless fun packed with Star Trek Easter eggs and it's clear to me that the writers of Lower Decks are actually Star Trek fans who watched the previous shows, which is more than I can say for the idiots in charge of Discovery.

Not impressed with the trailer for season 4 of Discovery, certainly not going to renew my Netflix subscription to watch it. The last season was the last straw for me - absolutely awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lower Decks was my least anticipated and yet of all the new Trek it’s my favourite series.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I don't mind Lower Decks, I've found it more enjoyable than either Discovery or Picard to be perfectly honest. It's not a show to be taken seriously, just kind of mindless fun packed with Star Trek Easter eggs and it's clear to me that the writers of Lower Decks are actually Star Trek fans who watched the previous shows, which is more than I can say for the idiots in charge of Discovery.

Not impressed with the trailer for season 4 of Discovery, certainly not going to renew my Netflix subscription to watch it. The last season was the last straw for me - absolutely awful.

 

There's something really weird going on with Discovery, there seems to be people involved who actively dislike Star Trek and the fanbase. That Michael Chambon guy was slagging the fans off a while back. Kurtzman has said himself he prefers Star Wars. 

 

There's a scene where there's a guy cleaning the remains of Leland up off the floor and he says 'im Gene', presumably as in Roddenberry, and the engineer says something like 'ive already forgotten'. 

 

It's amazing really, when you consider Writers and FX people on the previous shows have actually gone on to write books about it, such was their love and knowledge of the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sums up the difference between old and new Trek. They always made Starfleet ships different from each other, even when it took ages to create new models (often cobbled together due to budget constraints) but in shows like DS9 they made an effort.

 

Then in Picard, 'acting Captain Riker' turned up with a fleet that were all identical. These days with CGI what it is, they could have made a few different cgi models in no time at all, but they just couldn't be arsed.

 

 

 

ChnBattle1.jpg

Star-Trek-Picard-Zheng-He-fleet.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the issue is that the older shows were often written by proper science fiction writers, often renowned for their short stories, whereas today's shows are written by people who are first and foremost screenwriters with no science fiction background. Take City on the Edge of Forever from TOS, possibly the best Trek episode - it was written by Harlan Ellison who regularly won awards for his science fiction short stories. Shows like Discovery are usually written by a team of screenwriters and I am hard pressed to recognise any of the names even though I read much modern science fiction.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mars said:

Perhaps the issue is that the older shows were often written by proper science fiction writers, often renowned for their short stories, whereas today's shows are written by people who are first and foremost screenwriters with no science fiction background. Take City on the Edge of Forever from TOS, possibly the best Trek episode - it was written by Harlan Ellison who regularly won awards for his science fiction short stories. Shows like Discovery are usually written by a team of screenwriters and I am hard pressed to recognise any of the names even though I read much modern science fiction.

 

True that but TNG actually gave a lot of breaks to untried writers, Piller brought in a policy where fans could submit scripts, it launched a lot of careers, such as Ron Moore. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viacom trying to grab back as many rights as they can before Paramount+ launches next year have taken Discovery off of Netflix in the UK and Europe. Can't even hate watch it at my leisure now!

 

It's a bit sly doing that days before the new season airs.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Viacom trying to grab back as many rights as they can before Paramount+ launches next year have taken Discovery off of Netflix in the UK and Europe. Can't even hate watch it at my leisure now!

 

It's a bit sly doing that days before the new season airs.

Ha me too.

 

It even pisses me off that they've called the first episode Kobyashi Maru as though we're supposed to bang one out and go 'oooh like in the wrath of khan!'

 

That's how trek seems to work now, written by people who have an at best passing knowldge of it who carpet bomb it with references they often don't understand in order to keep the original fans interested.

 

It's like me writing a reboot of Dallas having never seen it, and just constantly making reference to the shooting of JR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Discovery has been dropped from Netflix outside of US and Canada because Paramount want to keep Season 4 it for their streaming service when it expands to other territories in a few months time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Discovery has been dropped from Netflix outside of US and Canada because Paramount want to keep Season 4 it for their streaming service when it expands to other territories in a few months time.

Reckon that will backfire. None of its Star Trek brands are strong enough to carry a streaming service, can't see anyone willing to pony up just to watch Disco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paramount+ will be free to Sky subscribers who already have Sky Movies apparently.

 

I called this proliferation of streaming services ten years ago. These big companies were going to realise that selling everything to Netflix was a mistake and get their own going. The 'cord cutters' in the US will eventually end paying for streaming exactly what they did for cable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

Paramount+ will be free to Sky subscribers who already have Sky Movies apparently.

 

I called this proliferation of streaming services ten years ago. These big companies were going to realise that selling everything to Netflix was a mistake and get their own going. The 'cord cutters' in the US will eventually end paying for streaming exactly what they did for cable.

Yeah, there's already been a huge dip in quality IMO in the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime and the stuff you find on Now TV (which are the three we have), I can easily spend half an hour flicking back between the three to find something decent yet end up watching the Sopranos or John Wick again - and again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good stuff, means I won't accidentally end up watching Discovery on Netflix and getting annoyed at how bad it is. Don't have Sky anymore either so no more Discovery ever again for me. I hope the other series are kept on Netflix though, I do enjoy watching classic episodes from TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Good stuff, means I won't accidentally end up watching Discovery on Netflix and getting annoyed at how bad it is. Don't have Sky anymore either so no more Discovery ever again for me. I hope the other series are kept on Netflix though, I do enjoy watching classic episodes from TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

 

You already know what it'll be anyway. 

 

A 'universe ending' threat. 

Lots of strong women (Federation president is a woman, naturally).

I suspect the first ever shot of a totally female bridge (amid much fanfare).

A subsection of gay and transgender characters (the two gay lads and the non binary character keep getting interviewed together, and even have their own poster, surely not really what is meant by 'inclusivity' - it's quite bizarre). 

Burnham will do a monologue at the start of each episode about love and  togetherness. 

Laser fights - bish bash bosh.

Swearing.

The power of math.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

 

You already know what it'll be anyway. 

 

A 'universe ending' threat. 

Lots of strong women (Federation president is a woman, naturally).

I suspect the first ever shot of a totally female bridge (amid much fanfare).

A subsection of gay and transgender characters (the two gay lads and the non binary character keep getting interviewed together, and even have their own poster, surely not really what is meant by 'inclusivity' - it's quite bizarre). 

Burnham will do a monologue at the start of each episode about love and  togetherness. 

Laser fights - bish bash bosh.

Swearing.

The power of math.

 

 

 

 

That is sadly true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

 

You already know what it'll be anyway. 

 

A 'universe ending' threat. 

Lots of strong women (Federation president is a woman, naturally).

I suspect the first ever shot of a totally female bridge (amid much fanfare).

A subsection of gay and transgender characters (the two gay lads and the non binary character keep getting interviewed together, and even have their own poster, surely not really what is meant by 'inclusivity' - it's quite bizarre). 

Burnham will do a monologue at the start of each episode about love and  togetherness. 

Laser fights - bish bash bosh.

Swearing.

The power of math.

 

 

 

Don't forget all the swearing and crying. Crying is very important in Discovery. Not only does Burnham shed a tear in every episode, crying also caused the Burn. Amazing what the power of tears can do.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Don't forget all the swearing and crying. Crying is very important in Discovery. Not only does Burnham shed a tear in every episode, crying also caused the Burn. Amazing what the power of tears can do.

A lot of the YouTube crowd point that out, some of them go over the top but a lot of it is spot on.

 

Basically, that the characters respond to crises like the writers - i.e millenials - would. They either rail against the system, cry, or both. 

 

If you look at something like the Wrath of Khan and compare Kirk trying not to cry at Spock's funeral to the constant bellyaching and crying, moaning and swearing of the new Trek characters, it's polar opposite. 

 

The idea that you can be part of a quasi-military structure which, whether you like it or not, has standards of behaviour, rules and professionalism which are needed in order to function, seems to have been thrown out in favour of the idea that love and hugs make the world go by, even to the extent that a cadet can be promoted to first officer in two years purely because her mates want her to be. 

 

If she was on Next Gen Tilly would be the subject of a joke episode like Barclay was, with Worf telling her to get in shape and Picard having to be  talked out of shipping her out to Starbase 8,000. 

 

It's genuinely interesting on a sociological level IMO, because Trek - like many shows - is reflective of the times we live in. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

A lot of the YouTube crowd point that out, some of them go over the top but a lot of it is spot on.

 

Basically, that the characters respond to crises like the writers - i.e millenials - would. They either rail against the system, cry, or both. 

 

If you look at something like the Wrath of Khan and compare Kirk trying not to cry at Spock's funeral to the constant bellyaching and crying, moaning and swearing of the new Trek characters, it's polar opposite. 

 

The idea that you can be part of a quasi-military structure which, whether you like it or not, has standards of behaviour, rules and professionalism which are needed in order to function, seems to have been thrown out in favour of the idea that love and hugs make the world go by, even to the extent that a cadet can be promoted to first officer in two years purely because her mates want her to be. 

 

If she was on Next Gen Tilly would be the subject of a joke episode like Barclay was, with Worf telling her to get in shape and Picard having to be  talked out of shipping her out to Starbase 8,000. 

 

It's genuinely interesting on a sociological level IMO, because Trek - like many shows - is reflective of the times we live in. 

Well said. It's a terrible show trying to cater to specific groups of people rather than traditional fans of Star Trek, or science fiction in general. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well good news about Peacock and Paramount plus being available on Sky. Shame a couple of multi room boxes or cubes on your home network for streaming while others surf in the net will be buffering to fuck as have BT cut your DL speed from average 50Mbps to around 30 or lower.

 

Oh yeah, 'ultra fast' fibre is being rolled out, just not in your area for the foreseeable and by the way, there'll be a price increase for it. Cunts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" I like the old stuff better than the new stuff" comes to mind wth new Trek, Wars etc. 

1. They are mostly shit and totally forget what they actually are.

2. They can never compare you the emotional attachment you have to the films & TV of your youth. 

 

That being said I do enjoy Lower Decks & The Mandalorian but these have one foot firmly in the past.  Picard was a massive disappointment & I've only really enjoyed S2 of Discovery when Pike was brought in. So I am hoping ST:SNW is a success as otherwise I may be done with Trek and that would be a terrible shame. 

Right, I'm off to watch 'Measure of a Man' and 'The Most Toys' for the umpteenth time. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×