You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

See I thought the religious aspect was interesting, essentially non- corporeal beings, being worshipped as gods and how that impacts their civilisation. Sisko being a reluctant prophet and it’s effect on the federation - bajoran relations.

siskos mother being a wormhole alien seemed a little shoehorned in I admit but it isn’t the worst thing is trek by a long shot. Also would make sense for non-corporeal beings to try and secure their future by meddling. But he didn’t have any god like ability as a result of it. He was just a normal person helped by a species with different abilities and sense of time like the Q. 

Who said anything about God like abilities? 

Pft. Whatever. I’m sticking with the producer and writer on what he was. If I wrote something, told people what I meant, then somebody years later on a football forum told me I was wrong about my own creation, I’d be too busy laughing to be annoyed.

But I don’t care either way, call him a God, call him a prophet worshipped as a religious icon, whatever, I think the whole sequence of religious stuff was pretty poorly done, and very poorly acted. 

18 hours ago, Numero said:

Who said anything about God like abilities? 

Pft. Whatever. I’m sticking with the producer and writer on what he was. If I wrote something, told people what I meant, then somebody years later on a football forum told me I was wrong about my own creation, I’d be too busy laughing to be annoyed.

But I don’t care either way, call him a God, call him a prophet worshipped as a religious icon, whatever, I think the whole sequence of religious stuff was pretty poorly done, and very poorly acted. 

Fair enough we’re all entitled to our own opinions. I wasn’t refuting the claims of the writer just pointing out he wasn’t much of a god. I saw the wormhole aliens more of a serious version of the Q who weren’t as interested in the wider universe.

Just now, JagSquared said:

Fair enough we’re all entitled to our own opinions. I wasn’t refuting the claims of the writer just pointing out he wasn’t much of a god.

Well. Bajoran Gods were pretty shit as far as Gods go. The one interesting thing I found in that whole story was when that fella came from the past and he was heralded as the real emissary and they spoke about the caste system, etc. That started to have some meat on the bone. Unfortunately it only lasted an episode. 

Anyway, I don't know if people have been keeping up with news, but Strange New Worlds is going to be episodic but without the irritating (to some, not really me) character resets of TNG and TOS. I think my favourite modern Star Trek is some of the Short Treks and the stuff with Pike in Season 2 of Discovery. It sounds like a mix of those two things, so I'm well up for that. 

I like Star Trek. Always have.

I'm not down with the random 'F' bombs that are occasionally dropped into Discovery. It doesn't fit the with the show and is completely unnecessary. It's like a kid swearing for the first time in front of his parents to see if he can get away with it.

I blame Netflix.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, dave u said:

I'm not down with the random 'F' bombs that are occasionally dropped into Discovery. It doesn't fit the with the show and is completely unnecessary. It's like a kid swearing for the first time in front of his parents to see if he can get away with it.

I blame Netflix.

I’m okay with swearing in Trek, but in Discovery it was so fuckin’ forced. Just doing it to do it. It was nonsense. 

• Upvote 1

I’m excited about strange new worlds it’s making all the right noises for sure. 

Agree with short treks, they were great and highly enjoyable. Discovery has done decent episodes but fell apart on the whole. 

I think my favourite discovery episode is prob the Harry Mudd one. Rain Wilson nailed it. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Agree with short treks, they were great and highly enjoyable. Discovery has done decent episodes but fell apart on the whole. 

I think my favourite discovery episode is prob the Harry Mudd one. Rain Wilson nailed it. 

A good modernisation of Mudd for sure. W&A was just great from Short Treks. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Yeah Pike is class. Apparently Isaccs issued a "No comment" about the return of prime universe Lorca too.

• Upvote 1

Star trek was always 'idealist.' Well, the tv series prior to the JJ Abrams shite that is. It was almost utopian. No worries about illness, hunger, greed, money, exploitation or wars except with other baddies in the galaxy. Even then, mortal enemies could be soothed and peace kind of prevail with time and endeavour.

Bringing 'fuck' into the dialogue is just dumbing the whole Trek ethos down in my opinion. Trek was almost like civilisations had progressed beyond uttering such naughty words. Having the cast say 'fuck' just seems to panders to other shows now. They say 'fuck' in loads of other tv shows, why should Trek be different? Because it is Trek, I say and you're just knocking another brick out of the folklore, that's why.

Just my opinion though.

2 hours ago, dave u said:

I blame Netflix.

That didn't bother me as much as that old bat telling Picard to "shut the fuck up", you just don't do that. Shatner would have twatted her.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Star trek was always 'idealist.' Well, the tv series prior to the JJ Abrams shite that is. It was almost utopian. No worries about illness, hunger, greed, money, exploitation or wars except with other baddies in the galaxy. Even then, mortal enemies could be soothed and peace kind of prevail with time and endeavour.

Bringing 'fuck' into the dialogue is just dumbing the whole Trek ethos down in my opinion. Trek was almost like civilisations had progressed beyond uttering such naughty words. Having the cast say 'fuck' just seems to panders to other shows now. They say 'fuck' in loads of other tv shows, why should Trek be different? Because it is Trek, I say and you're just knocking another brick out of the folklore, that's why.

Just my opinion though.

Yep, they didn't swear in the future.

3 hours ago, dave u said:

I blame Netflix.

The either swearing unnecessarily or crying at how great and strong each other is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

The Tilly for first officer 'just say yes' was unadulterated madness on every level. 

I think that could be the worst decision in Star Trek history. I can't think of anything worse. It not only was a pile of utter wank from a writing perspective, it undermined Saru because no sensible, experienced leader would do that. It was really fucking shit. Season 3 needs to be blasted with large amounts of piss.

• Upvote 1

The series finale for Discovery was easily the worst episode I've seen in Nu Trek. It was so ridiculous on so many levels. And I'm not OK with the F bomb on Star Trek. Other minor swear words such as "bastard" or "bitch" are fine, but really crude expletives can fuck off. 

• Upvote 3

I’ve started rewatching Enterprise it’s still pretty good and I’ll still never understand the decision to cancel it or the shockingly bad ending. Was it ratings?

Trip, T’pol and Phlox are great characters  Archer and Hoshi are decent and while they could have done more with Reed he’s still interesting too as he’s so uptight but they were peeling those layers. 

I know they were planning on going onto the romulan war arc and Shran was going to join the crew it just feels like such a missed opportunity. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

I’ve started rewatching Enterprise it’s still pretty good and I’ll still never understand the decision to cancel it or the shockingly bad ending. Was it ratings?

Trip, T’pol and Phlox are great characters  Archer and Hoshi are decent and while they could have done more with Reed he’s still interesting too as he’s so uptight but they were peeling those layers. 

I know they were planning on going onto the romulan war arc and Shran was going to join the crew it just feels like such a missed opportunity. 

I loved it, I'd held off watching it as I'd felt at the time Trek needed to lie fallow for a bit, but I watched it early last year and it was like finding buried treasure, 'real' Trek, optimism, fun, adventure. 

Who are people's favourite ever Trek character? It's hard but it's got to be Data for me. Watching TNG again Spiner is just perfect in it. 

I Tweeted him once asking if he'd  like to take part in a magazine interview on androids in fiction (was gonna try and get Robert Llewellyn and a few others) and he DMd me saying 'Hi, I literally can't think of anything I'd rather do less." Fair play! 

• Upvote 4

This is such incredible acting. Shakespearian. You can imagine when Alaimo especially got the script and they were just words, but when you see the personality he puts into it it's amazing. Combs too, Weryoun because of his DNA makeup genuinely doesn't understand why it's wrong to kill everyone on a planet. A manufactured psycopath. 

"you can't do that."

"Why not?"

"BECAUSE!!!" 

Incredible writing as ever, especially with raising the stakes due to the battle ahead. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JagSquared said:

Yeah like all Trek series, they got better as they went into more seasons and Enterprise was no exception. Couldnt stand Watson's theme song though and the speeded up version for seasons 3 & 4 was just too hoppy for me.

Shran was a great character, had a bit of a loon about him but still someone of integrity. Malcolm always came across as having a broom handle stuck up his arse but again, the character was developing. Flox had enough gravitas to hold his own. Travis and Hoshi looked to be on the way to just becoming minor characters in my opinion.

Ive mixed opinions on Archer. I can understand a degree of his personality change from idealistic explorer to out and out revenge merchant but, he does kind of go full pyscho in the fight to stop the Xindi weapon.

Would Trip and TPol ever have got together again if the series finally hadnt happened?

Enterprise was due to be cancelled at the end of series 3 but I believe a fan campaign got it into season 4. Bakula even said at the wrap party on season 4, they probably shouldnt have got it but somehow they did.

• Upvote 1