You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I envy anyone watching DS9 or TNG for the first time. Strange though that both really came into their own in the third seasons, both had very very ropey first seasons IMO. 

I think when DS9 got the Defiant it changes the dynamic of the show. 

Yes totally. There were good episodes during seasons 1-3 but there were more than a few stinkers too. The series really found its way with the introduction of the Dominion, the Defiant and Worf.

• Upvote 1

I watched DS9 in it’s here and there when it was on, but never enough to grasp the overall story arc. 

Thanks to you lot I watched the first episode on Netflix last night, and it already answered a lot of questions about the backstory of DS9 that I never knew. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Dont know about betazed women having 4 tits but Leeta's on a DSN re run. Boy, she had fantastic tits.

Screenshot_2021-04-27 Bajorans - Images - Image #1.png

She's still tasty now. I went to the big Star Trek convention in Birmingham a few years ago (it was weird to be honest, especially the full Asperger's fest at the bar when you get clouted left and right with people's rucksacks - why rucksacks? Any why take one to the bar?) 

I digress, they have a party night there and she was signing. They also had a band made up of the actors who played Damar, Weyoun, Quark and Rom, you don't know what surreal means until you see Weyoun singing 'Octopus's Garden'. Quark (Shimmerman) is a real anglophile, he loves real ales and he's always over here on walking holidays. 

It's funny, you can see why they love doing the conventions. Over in LA they're nobodies these days but over here in certain circles they're like the Rolling Stones. 

A good thing about there being new Trek shows is that it brought these actors a new lease of life, there was something a bit tragic about seeing all these ageing actors writing autographs at a convention for what was essentially a dead franchise, reminded me a bit of The Wrestler, but now they're all in demand again by association, which is great. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

She's still tasty now. I went to the big Star Trek convention in Birmingham a few years ago (it was weird to be honest, especially the full Asperger's fest at the bar when you get clouted left and right with people's rucksacks - why rucksacks? Any why take one to the bar?) 

I digress, they have a party night there and she was signing. They also had a band made up of the actors who played Damar, Weyoun, Quark and Rom, you don't know what surreal means until you see Weyoun singing 'Octopus's Garden'. Quark (Shimmerman) is a real anglophile, he loves real ales and he's always over here on walking holidays. 

It's funny, you can see why they love doing the conventions. Over in LA they're nobodies these days but over here in certain circles they're like the Rolling Stones. 

A good thing about there being new Trek shows is that it brought these actors a new lease of life, there was something a bit tragic about seeing all these ageing actors writing autographs at a convention for what was essentially a dead franchise, reminded me a bit of The Wrestler, but now they're all in demand again by association, which is great. 

Haha, ace!

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Jeffrey Combs!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Baltar said:

The recurring characters in DS9 were just brilliant. Weyoun, Dukat, Martok, Damar and of course, the best of the lot, Garak. 

Garak is just about the only thing I really like about DS9. I love Coobs as Shran in Enterprise though. Two of my favourite characters in all of Trek. 

16 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Dont know about betazed women having 4 tits but Leeta's on a DSN re run. Boy, she had fantastic tits.

Screenshot_2021-04-27 Bajorans - Images - Image #1.png

Chase Masterson is fucking amazing. 

3 hours ago, Numero said:

Garak is just about the only thing I really like about DS9. I love Coobs as Shran in Enterprise though. Two of my favourite characters in all of Trek. 

fair enough I’d say DS9 is easily my favourite it’s so well written and fleshed out. Plus there is some top notch acting.

15 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

fair enough I’d say DS9 is easily my favourite it’s so well written and fleshed out. Plus there is some top notch acting.

It's funny when you look at shows like Pale Moonlight and they're up there with the best episodes of TV ever made, outside of the genre though it never got the credit it deserved.

TNG is mad, it's my favorite but to this day I don't know how they made it work, given that human conflict is the basic building block or drama, and it had none, at all. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JagSquared said:

In general I think the acting is pretty shitty - especially the likes of Sisko - the lack of a ‘Trek’ makes it a bit boring after a while, and I dislike most of the characters. I fucking hate the Bajorans, I find the Sisko is a God thing utterly ridiculous, and outside of Garak and Dukat, I would happily remove it from history. So... yeah, probably never going to agree on matters DS9.

We have a little group that watches a number of episodes per week then talks about them at the weekend, and we had S05E10 - ‘Rapture’ the other week. It’s just so shit. 

I watched The Cage the other day. Make that. Make lots of that. Hopefully that’s what SNW will be. 

11 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

sisko is a god? Must have missed that bit. 

Yeah, you must have. Not only was his mother - Sarah - a full-on prophet, and he the emissary, but ‘on the controversial notion of turning Sisko into a god, Ira Behr comments, "It was perfect on so many levels, because of the franchise, and how fans have treated captains like gods since the days of Kirk, and they might as well be gods to the fans. I wanted to literalize it."

So God, Demi-God, God to the Bajorans, wormhole alien, or whatever you want to call Sisko, that’s all pretty clear with the show’s writer and producer confirming it. I absolutely hated the religious aspect of it all, no matter how you wanted to look at it. That’s not to say there’s no excellent episodes in DS9, but overall I think there’s a lot on there that, if it was modern, people would call anti-Trek. Still, whatever people like and enjoy. Some of my favourite Trek gets hammered by some fans. It’s one big universe with lots to like for everybody.  

8 minutes ago, Numero said:

Yeah, you must have. Not only was his mother - Sarah - a full-on prophet, and he the emissary, but ‘on the controversial notion of turning Sisko into a god, Ira Behr comments, "It was perfect on so many levels, because of the franchise, and how fans have treated captains like gods since the days of Kirk, and they might as well be gods to the fans. I wanted to literalize it."

So God, Demi-God, God to the Bajorans, wormhole alien, or whatever you want to call Sisko, that’s all pretty clear with the show’s writer and producer confirming it. I absolutely hated the religious aspect of it all, no matter how you wanted to look at it. That’s not to say there’s no excellent episodes in DS9, but overall I think there’s a lot on there that, if it was modern, people would call anti-Trek. Still, whatever people like and enjoy. Some of my favourite Trek gets hammered by some fans. It’s one big universe with lots to like for everybody.  

He wasn't a god or anything of the sort. He didn't have any fancy powers and was just a regular guy. He was an Emissary of the Prophets and they'd help him out from time to time with their god-like abilities. Just like Q did for Picard.

See I thought the religious aspect was interesting, essentially non- corporeal beings, being worshipped as gods and how that impacts their civilisation. Sisko being a reluctant prophet and it’s effect on the federation - bajoran relations.

siskos mother being a wormhole alien seemed a little shoehorned in I admit but it isn’t the worst thing is trek by a long shot. Also would make sense for non-corporeal beings to try and secure their future by meddling. But he didn’t have any god like ability as a result of it. He was just a normal person helped by a species with different abilities and sense of time like the Q. 

5 minutes ago, Baltar said:

He wasn't a god or anything of the sort. He didn't have any fancy powers and was just a regular guy. He was an Emissary of the Prophets and they'd help him out from time to time with their god-like abilities. Just like Q did for Picard.

Beat me to it - serves me right for paying attention on this work call.