You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I’ve just watched DS9’s Waltz. Absolutely brilliant episode.  What Trek is all about. 

I agree that it is one of the better DS9 episodes, although it’s funny that you say it’s what Trek is all about. It’s certainly not what it was traditionally about, but DS9 - for some at least - seemed to change the scope of what it was about. I’m glad DS9 did something different, even if it’s my least favourite completed Trek show. It allowed the franchise to move passed Gene’s vision. That said, Star Trek could do with a bit more of the traditional Trek now. Hopefully that comes along with the new Pike show. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I’ve just watched DS9’s Waltz. Absolutely brilliant episode.  What Trek is all about. 

Love DS9. Rewatching it and it's everything Discovery isn't.

Still reeling from the crew getting moist-eyed every 10 minutes in Discovery. Lens flare bores.

There is some outstanding acting in DS9. It’s personally my favourite as they had a knack of bringing in a bit part / one off characters and adding so much depth and nuance to a species or individuals. The newer stuff really misses this element in my opinion. 

My favourite example of this is the one off appearance of Harris Yulin as Gul Darheel/ Maritza in the DS9 episode Duet. It stops the cardassians just being space nazis and fleshes them out and, for want of a better word, humanises them. Yulin absolutely nails his role playing off Kira who’s own arc in the episode is excellent. 

the episode handles such a heavy topic so well and it’s all done through conversations mostly one on one. There’s no explosions, no red alert and no hero saving the day with their brilliance. Instead It challenges your thoughts on right and wrong, justice and guilt. The best episodes of Star Trek stick with you and offer a view you may not have thought of before. That’s what Star Trek is to me. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Numero said:

I agree that it is one of the better DS9 episodes, although it’s funny that you say it’s what Trek is all about. It’s certainly not what it was traditionally about, but DS9 - for some at least - seemed to change the scope of what it was about. I’m glad DS9 did something different, even if it’s my least favourite completed Trek show. It allowed the franchise to move passed Gene’s vision. That said, Star Trek could do with a bit more of the traditional Trek now. Hopefully that comes along with the new Pike show. 

They definitely need to return to the Wagon Train to the Stars vibe that Gene wanted original Trek to be & that TNG continued. 

The writing on DS9 was off the scale. The first six episodes of season 6 that deal with the war were all written by different writers and they all had to keep coming into each other's rooms to try and double check who'd done what so they didn't drop any threads, that level of talent is just unbelievable.

DS9 benefitted from Rick Burnham getting bored with it and going to Voyager so Behr and Ron Moore could take it where they wanted. 

The Dominion are class. When they destroy the Odyssey, Behr said they deliberately chose that class of ship because they said it would have been the same outcome if it was the Enterprise, to illustrate how bad ass they are.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

They definitely need to return to the Wagon Train to the Stars vibe that Gene wanted original Trek to be & that TNG continued. 

As long as it’s not the clean, sanitised utopia that he wanted and that DS9 rightfully killed. The exploring the Galaxy stuff is something I’m definitely interested in. Strange New Worlds, new species, cultural and societal stuff. 

Found my pic of Shelby from when I did that mag interview, she was boss, we spoke for about 90 minutes. Sadly her dad Brian Dennehy died a couple of weeks later, I passed on my condolences and was able to put Mike Westmore in touch with her as he'd lost her contact details and wanted to pass on his best. 

I did a Zoom with the Okudas too which was a bit tougher. They were very businesslike, Denise was completely deadpan and just kept looking at her phone. I was buzzing though as they'd written a lot of the books I used to love, the encyclopedia especially, I told them but didn't reveal it was my favourite toilet reading pre smartphones.

20200412_194140.jpg

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

In case anyone doesnt know, DSN is being re run on UK SyFy channel at 2pm Monday to Friday.

It's also on Pick (??) TV too in the evening. Around 6/7pm I think

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Found my pic of Shelby from when I did that mag interview, she was boss, we spoke for about 90 minutes. Sadly her dad Brian Dennehy died a couple of weeks later, I passed on my condolences and was able to put Mike Westmore in touch with her as he'd lost her contact details and wanted to pass on his best. 

I did a Zoom with the Okudas too which was a bit tougher. They were very businesslike, Denise was completely deadpan and just kept looking at her phone. I was buzzing though as they'd written a lot of the books I used to love, the encyclopedia especially, I told them but didn't reveal it was my favourite toilet reading pre smartphones.

20200412_194140.jpg

That's brilliant mate. Never knew Brian Dennehy was her dad.

• Upvote 1

I envy anyone watching DS9 or TNG for the first time. Strange though that both really came into their own in the third seasons, both had very very ropey first seasons IMO. 

I think when DS9 got the Defiant it changes the dynamic of the show. 

54 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I envy anyone watching DS9 or TNG for the first time. Strange though that both really came into their own in the third seasons, both had very very ropey first seasons IMO. 

And Worf. Never forget Worf. He is not a Merry Man. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah agree with that. The defiant gave them the ability to explore the gamma quadrant and it’s actually interesting how early on they mention the dominion and the slow build up to what was to come. It was excellently planned.

TNG is so varied in terms of quality especially season 1, on a rewatch I actually wondered if it’s just dated or was it that mixed early on. Good job it didn’t get cancelled.

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

And Worf. Never forget Worf. He is not a Merry Man. 

The thing that always got me was how they kind of forgot worf had a kid. He just ups and leaves him with the grandparents and rarely brings him up until he turns up again in DS9.

48 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Yeah agree with that. The defiant gave them the ability to explore the gamma quadrant and it’s actually interesting how early on they mention the dominion and the slow build up to what was to come. It was excellently planned.

TNG is so varied in terms of quality especially season 1, on a rewatch I actually wondered if it’s just dated or was it that mixed early on. Good job it didn’t get cancelled.

Robert Hewitt Wolf is really responsive on twitter about this stuff. Basically Voyager messed up DS9 in a sense because the Gamma quadrant and the Delta quadrents couldn't both be these wild frontiers, so they decided to put the Gamma Quadrant under the yoke of an 'anti federation', which was held together by fear and force rather than mutual respect and exploration.

They built in a backstory that the dominion were already aware of the federation and had been for decades, and was making plans to deal with it when the time came.