You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Have stopped watching Discovery, can't remember the last time I did that with a show.

I couldn't get into the second season of it at all. 

First season was good, last episode was fantastic to, but that second series lost me. I gave up after 2 episodes. 

Every time I turn on Netflix I see it there and say I'm going to start back again, but I can't see myself investing that much time into something so, blah. If you know what i mean 

Just finished S3 of discovery. Most of the times I didn't have a clue what was happening. There were one or two good standalone stories in the whole arc but ultimately disappointing. The addition of the none-binary teenager with a dead gender ambugiuous boyfriend teaching everyone in the year 3000 about pronouns seemed a bit forced. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Haven't seen the last two episodes. It's such a tough watch with its lens flare, dutch angles and no one acting like they're anything but emotional university students. Star Trek: Edgelord. Sick of the swearing too, it's Star Trek, it doesn't need f-bombs.

Glorious.

12 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Just finished S3 of discovery. Most of the times I didn't have a clue what was happening. There were one or two good standalone stories in the whole arc but ultimately disappointing. The addition of the none-binary teenager with a dead gender ambugiuous boyfriend teaching everyone in the year 3000 about pronouns seemed a bit forced. 

It's pretty sinister in a sense. Star Trek has always challenged convention, such as the first televised interacial kiss, but that's not what's going on here.

Traditional "nerd" culture has been hijacked and retconned by people that don't care for it, but have bought an existing fanbase which they know they can juice, much like a sporting franchise. 

But the people at the helm aren't especially talented and don't care for the material. Alex Kurtsman, the guy presiding over all the new Trek stuff, has said before he prefers Star Wars. He doesn't understand it, he doesn't value it.. 

Fans by and large are treated with contempt,  their concerns over stuff like cannon and continuity are dismissed as unimportant because their show 'doesn't really matter'.

To make up for the lack of story, character and direction they've just decided to turn it into something that appeals to the so called woke crowd. So they'll sledgehammer you with a non binary character or stick a fat spotty ensign BODY POSITIVITY in the captain's chair, and if anyone says "this episode is shit" they're derided as sexist, racist, homophobic basement dwellers.

It's everywhere, Kathleen Kennedy has done it with Star Wars, it's only because Favroe managed to keep her grubby Little mitts off The Mandalorian that it wasn't shit.

It's sort of a nerd civil war, and the Mandalorian feels like it may have been the battle of midway. Here's hoping. It'll be a while before Star Trek is watchable again though I reckon, and it won't be under these clowns.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

S3 hasn’t finished yet? 

Ive quite enjoyed the last few episodes. The middle was pretty bad. 

37 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's pretty sinister in a sense. Star Trek has always challenged convention, such as the first televised interacial kiss, but that's not what's going on here.

Traditional "nerd" culture has been hijacked and retconned by people that don't care for it, but have bought an existing fanbase which they know they can juice, much like a sporting franchise. 

But the people at the helm aren't especially talented and don't care for the material. Alex Kurtsman, the guy presiding over all the new Trek stuff, has said before he prefers Star Wars. He doesn't understand it, he doesn't value it.. 

Fans by and large are treated with contempt,  their concerns over stuff like cannon and continuity are dismissed as unimportant because their show 'doesn't really matter'.

To make up for the lack of story, character and direction they've just decided to turn it into something that appeals to the so called woke crowd. So they'll sledgehammer you with a non binary character or stick a fat spotty ensign BODY POSITIVITY in the captain's chair, and if anyone says "this episode is shit" they're derided as sexist, racist, homophobic basement dwellers.

It's everywhere, Kathleen Kennedy has done it with Star Wars, it's only because Favroe managed to keep her grubby Little mitts off The Mandalorian that it wasn't shit.

It's sort of a nerd civil war, and the Mandalorian feels like it may have been the battle of midway. Here's hoping. It'll be a while before Star Trek is watchable again though I reckon, and it won't be under these clowns.

Agree with most of that. Discovery especially seems to have an eye on the LGBT crowd with a male and female gay couples, this new character and not to mention a woman called Michael. 

To be clear, if people in the LGBT community love this sort of thing and it makes them feel wanted and accepted then whatever, keep it. It probably won't turn me away completely, I'll just chuckle and roll my eyes at the transparency of it. Seems to be like cracking a walnut with a sledge hammer. 

2 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Agree with most of that. Discovery especially seems to have an eye on the LGBT crowd with a male and female gay couples, this new character and not to mention a woman called Michael. 

To be clear, if people in the LGBT community love this sort of thing and it makes them feel wanted and accepted then whatever, keep it. It probably won't turn me away completely, I'll just chuckle and roll my eyes at the transparency of it. Seems to be like cracking a walnut with a sledge hammer. 

I like the way that Culber and Stamets are portrayed. They’ve always been good in this show. The new Non-Binary character is tokenism and has no real place. It’s fucking annoying. 

I, like most it appears, have really struggled with this series, watching more out of habit. I have watched to do something but not because I was looking forward to it.

I lost interest, so actually binge watched the last 4 and enjoyed them.

The series has been all over the place and I agree with most criticisms on here but the last 2 in particular have been really good and am now looking forward to the next one.

Was watching this again before, it's magnificent and for me sums up everything that Star Trek is about.

Let's take it from the top

The top of what?

Name!

My name?

No my name!

I do not know your name 

You keep playing games with me Mr and you're through 

I am? May I go now? 

They're from the future and they're utterly, utterly fucking baffled by pretty much everything we say and do because it's usually fucking stupid. That's what Star Trek was, it was designed to reflect our society back at us and show us what we were missing out on. It's not ray guns and secret spy agencies and bounty hunters (although that can all be fun too, in its place). 

• Upvote 1

Some predictably dubious science in the finale. Kid screams and the soundwave somehow created a subspace shockwave because the kid was somehow genetically linked to dilithium. I mean fucking hell, for a franchise that spawned technical manuals and inspired half the engineers in Nasa to go to college.

tenor-11.gif

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched lower decks and enjoyed it for what it is, it’s a comedy set in a Star Trek universe but it’s not really Trek in the traditional sense. Lots of good references for fans, interesting concept too and overall an easy watching affair.  

Still not watched past episode 6 of discovery. I really should just get it out of the way.