You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sloan was a great character (William Sadler was brilliant in the role) & I enjoyed Leland. I'm just not sure personally we need a whole series on them. Keeping them on the periphery and using them sparingly like DS9 used them would suit me. 

Oh and I read whole Sloan speech in my head as Sloan did. 

Yeah I don't fancy the S31 series either. 

To be honest I'd be happy to just see Strange New Worlds with Pike in, get back to real adventures, and let Discovery run its course this season and finish, not fussed on the animated shows and Picard is bilge. Less is more, they should focus on quality and getting the best writers onboard. Disney Star Wars has already learned this the hard way. 

Just now, Section_31 said:

Yeah I don't fancy the S31 series either. 

To be honest I'd be happy to just see Strange New Worlds with Pike in, get back to real adventures, and let Discovery run its course this season and finish, not fussed on the animated shows and Picard is bilge. Less is more, they should focus on quality and getting the best writers onboard. Disney Star Wars has already learned this the hard way. 

Can't argue much of that (although I did enjoy Picard for the most part). Not yet seen Lower Decks but definitely looking forward to SNW when it arrives. 

Episode 2 of STD (Just for you NN) was pretty enjoyable, I liked that they are fleshing out some of the minor characters as I’ll be honest I didn’t have a clue what half the bridge crew were called before this episode. 

the cowboys in space theme was a little heavy handed but worked well, the villain was good but found it mad that they let him go. Saru was great and is prob the best character on the show.

hopefully the series is focussed on discovery trying to re unite the federation and it has them flying all over the place so we see how the various powers are getting on.

looking forward to next week.

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Did a piece on this for a mag a couple of years back and spoke to him for it, top bloke. Leeds fan though.

Patrick Stewart or his son as I thought Sir Patrick was a die hard Huddersfield fan? 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Patrick Stewart or his son as I thought Sir Patrick was a die hard Huddersfield fan? 

His son Daniel, yeah it's a weird one that, he's always on twitter talking about Leeds, swears like a trouper and hates the tories. He'd fit right in here.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

His son Daniel, yeah it's a weird one that, he's always on twitter talking about Leeds, swears like a trouper and hates the tories. He'd fit right in here.

Thanks for the clarification.  

Pains me to say this, but Discovery has gone a bit shit.

"I love you."

"No, I love you!"

"The dylithium ran out, then it blew up. It ran out then blew up, but only in the ships that were at warp."

"The federation has gone, but it's not, it's move off Earth but gone somewhere else."

Wibble.

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Pains me to say this, but Discovery has gone a bit shit.

"I love you."

"No, I love you!"

"The dylithium ran out, then it blew up. It ran out then blew up, but only in the ships that were at warp."

"The federation has gone, but it's not, it's move off Earth but gone somewhere else."

Wibble.

Discovery has never been good. It looks really pretty and has Michelle Yeoh and Doug Jones being excellent but it's not Star Trek. It's, at best, someone's idea of what a TV version of JJ Abrams' Star Trek should be. In between all the swearing and sketchy characterisations there's a decent show waiting to break out.

I would genuinely love to know what some of the guys behind the original shows like Mike Okuda would say about some of the lazy cartoon science in the new shows, you're talking people who literally wrote engineering schematics for how a warp core would work in the real world, now watching shows where seashells respir spacecraft 'via the power of imagination' and minerals 'blow up' simultaneously around the galaxy. Let's not also forget the 'cold fusion device' used to 'cool down a core' in Into Darkness.

In some ways it's a symbol for the dumming down of modern society, take some terminology people might have a passing familiarity with then shoehorn it into a script and call it science. "Deploy the red giant generator".

T0uTQJW.gif

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Fuck me this season's been dire, and Andy Burnham has descended into one of the worst characters in TV history.

Most think the total opposite. This season is going down really well and people are starting to like Burnham. 

The whole Tilly thing? Retahhhhded. 

Just now, JagSquared said:

I’m about 4 episodes behind and can’t muster the energy to watch the rest. It’s pretty much just an action show now set in a universe designed to be so much more than that.

Just had an episode with zero action, just dialogue. Most of that episode was actually really good, especially for TNG fans it seems. 

3 minutes ago, Numero said:

Just had an episode with zero action, just dialogue. Most of that episode was actually really good, especially for TNG fans it seems. 

Like I say I’m about 4 behind. I just can’t see it getting much better 3 seasons in. I’ll finish it at some point but honestly I’m just waiting for Strange New Worlds.

I’ve been rewatching DS9 and it’s superior to discovery in every way. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Numero said:

Most think the total opposite. This season is going down really well and people are starting to like Burnham. 

The whole Tilly thing? Retahhhhded. 

Who is "most"? 

I haven't spoken to anyone or seen anything positive online about it at all. I'd be very wary of access media reviews and Internet rankings. 

8 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Like I say I’m about 4 behind. I just can’t see it getting much better 3 seasons in. I’ll finish it at some point but honestly I’m just waiting for Strange New Worlds.

I’ve been rewatching DS9 and it’s superior to discovery in every way. 

First season of discovery was excellent, season two was good too, this is a total mess.