You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

I thought Voyager was okay, it was easy viewing, but it kind of shit on its entire initial premise, a ship of limited resources partly crewed by outlaws. In the end it just turned into Next Generation lite. 

Compare and contrast the utter drama and genius writing of The Best of Both Worlds with some of the Voyager Borg episodes. "15 Borg cubes on an intercept course." "Deploy the omni-cannons!" 

14 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Oh, yeah, the giant tits don’t hurt. Is there a worse Trek species than the Kazon? Hideous cunts. Jesus was recently arrested for indecent exposure to a minor. Top lass. 

Think it was the Kazon that put me of Voyager for years. Sevens addition enticed me back & then I stuck around from that point on. Still difficult to watch S1-3 though.  

Jeri Ryan is fucking gorgeous though. Met her at Destination: Star Trek in 2018. Very pleasant lady in many ways. 

I've watched a couple of episodes of the original series when i was a kid, thought they were alright but never really wanted to explore further. Somebody recommended The Next Generation, so i watched one episode and found it incredibly tedious, but i'd genuinely like to like Star Trek as i'm a big fan of old school British sc-fi like Blakes 7, Sapphire and Steel and even classic Dr Who. 

Does TNG improve or is it over-talky dullness for the whole series? 

6 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I've watched a couple of episodes of the original series when i was a kid, thought they were alright but never really wanted to explore further. Somebody recommended The Next Generation, so i watched one episode and found it incredibly tedious, but i'd genuinely like to like Star Trek as i'm a big fan of old school British sc-fi like Blakes 7, Sapphire and Steel and even classic Dr Who. 

Season 3 onwards improves massively mate, DS9 improves massively from season 3/4 onwards too. 

If you're on Netflix have a bash at a TNG Episode called The Inner Light, that's a great introduction and will give you a feel for what it's really like. Some other great episodes that would be a good intro are Who Watches the Watchers, Booby Trap, The Defector, Chain of Command, Best of Both Worlds. Yesterday's Enterprise is boss too, although you'd need to have watched the show a bit for it to resonate. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Section_31 said:

Season 3 onwards improves massively mate, DS9 improves massively from season 3/4 onwards too. 

If you're on Netflix have a bash at a TNG Episode called The Inner Light, that's a great introduction and will give you a feel for what it's really like. Some other great episodes that would be a good intro are Who Watches the Watchers, Booby Trap, The Defector, Chain of Command, Best of Both Worlds. Yesterday's Enterprise is boss too, although you'd need to have watched the show a bit for it to resonate. 

Yeah, i'm on Netflix Mark, that's where i watched the first (two part, i think?) opening story. I will persevere once i've got Tin Star season 2 out of the way.

Just now, Total Longo said:

Yeah, i'm on Netflix Mark, that's where i watched the first (two part, i think?) opening story. I will persevere once i've got Tin Star season 2 out of the way.

Yeah the pilot episodes and first two seasons are a totally different animal. Gene Roddenbery (the original series creator) had a lot of input back then, and season 2 was plagued by a writers strike in Hollywood. 

In season 3 a guy called Michael Piller took charge and Rodenberry was moved upstairs. At that point, the episodes stopped being 'planet of the week' scifi yarns to far more character driven stories. The production values went up too. The first episode of season 3 onwards when he took the reins are just a totally different show. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah the pilot episodes and first two seasons are a totally different animal. Gene Roddenbery (the original series creator) had a lot of input back then, and season 2 was plagued by a writers strike in Hollywood. 

In season 3 a guy called Michael Piller took charge and Rodenberry was moved upstairs. At that point, the episodes stopped being 'planet of the week' scifi yarns to far more character driven stories. The production values went up too. The first episode of season 3 onwards when he took the reins are just a totally different show. 

Is it worth just skipping straight to Season 3 then? 

Like with Red Dwarf...

45 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

It’s difficult. In many ways, Star Trek represents the way TV was done in that era. TOS is very 60s. It’s a hard watch having got to 2020 and watched all the great shows. Some of TNG is great but without being a Trekkie others are difficult to go back and experience for the first time. Episodic TV in general can be like that. When recommending, I generally say ‘go in chronological order’. Not because it’s necessarily the best way to watch them but because, with Star Trek: Enterprise, you get an easy route in and it’s not as old as the rest. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Is Enterprise the latest one?

Nah. Release order is this, followed by in universe order. 

The Original Series

The Animated Series

The Next Generation

Deep Space 9*

Voyager*

Enterprise

Discovery**

Picard**

Lower Decks**

Chronology

Enterprise

Discovery (S1-2)

The Original Series

The Animated Series

The Next Generation

Deep Space 9*

Voyager*

Lower Decks

Picard

Discovery (S3)

*Overlaps. 
** Currently airing

Note: that’s without the movies or The Cage pilot. 

Upcoming: Strange New Worlds is directly after Discovery S2 in Chronology. Prodigy is an upcoming animated show, and there’s a Section 31 show that needs to be dropped into a very deep, very dark pit. 

• Upvote 1

Have to say, I'm not a fan of this new Star Trek. Discovery is a mess and Picard is just silly. Not seen Lower Decks but the premise doesn't interest me. I like my Star Trek to be serious, sci-fi and nerdy. Not a Simpsons in space series.

I still watch reruns from TNG, DS9 and Voy on Netflix, much better than anything I've seen on these new series. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Have to say, I'm not a fan of this new Star Trek. Discovery is a mess and Picard is just silly. Not seen Lower Decks but the premise doesn't interest me. I like my Star Trek to be serious, sci-fi and nerdy. Not a Simpsons in space series.

I still watch reruns from TNG, DS9 and Voy on Netflix, much better than anything I've seen on these new series. 

Do you watch The Orville? That does TNG better than TNG did it. 

2 hours ago, Total Longo said:

As Section 31 says, Chain of Command would be well worth watching. Pt2 is talky (as Picard is tortured and mentally broken down), but that's its strength, and it's one of the best episodes in all the Star Trek's for me.

I don't think you need much of a back story to enjoy the episodes: just Patrick Stewart and David Warner as antagonists!

David Warner must have played more Star Trek characters than any other actor. *

* Waiting for S31 to clarify.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Do you watch The Orville? That does TNG better than TNG did it. 

The Orville is fucking horrific, I reckon. Unfunny puerile humour mixed with very obvious, formulaic story telling. I think it’s likely to be cancelled after S3. It already dropped millions of views and switched from Fox to Hulu. 

9 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

As Section 31 says, Chain of Command would be well worth watching. Pt2 is talky (as Picard is tortured and mentally broken down), but that's its strength, and it's one of the best episodes in all the Star Trek's for me.

I don't think you need much of a back story to enjoy the episodes: just Patrick Stewart and David Warner as antagonists!

David Warner must have played more Star Trek characters than any other actor. *

* Waiting for S31 to clarify.

Not even close, I’d guess. I think it’s probably Jeffrey Combs or Marjel Barrett.  Vaughn Armstrong was in a lot too. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

The Orville is fucking horrific, I reckon. Unfunny puerile humour mixed with very obvious, formulaic story telling. I think it’s likely to be cancelled after S3. It already dropped millions of views and switched from Fox to Hulu. 

I really enjoy it but to each their own.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Not even close, I’d guess. I think it’s probably Jeffrey Combs or Marjel Barrett.  Vaughn Armstrong was in a lot too. 

Yeah a quick Google and it was Armstrong apparently with 11! 

Still buzz off the fact Clarence Boddicker played the Federation President. 

"Mr President, Captain Kirk has been detained by the Klingons."

"Just make sure he gets his fucking phonecall."

latest?cb=20100605230953&path-prefix=en