You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

3 hours ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Oh, yeah. That’s true. I forgot about that because I sail the seven seas to get mine. It’s actually really fun. The more it goes on the more you appreciate how much the creator loves Star Trek. 

Yep it’s annoying as I really want to watch it and my Jolly Roger days are well behind me and have no clue how to do any of that now.

Really like Discovery, I don't know why it gets a bad press among some hard core Trek fans. Great cast and some great characters. 

Was watching Booby Trap yesterday, TNG episode, the music is class - pure late 80s synth, this is a brilliant scene. The Enterprise is trapped in an asteroid field with radiation-spewing, power draining asteroids all over the place and someone has to get them out. They were gonna let the computer fly the ship but Jean Luc is like 'nah, fuck that'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Really like Discovery, I don't know why it gets a bad press among some hard core Trek fans. Great cast and some great characters. 

Was watching Booby Trap yesterday, TNG episode, the music is class - pure late 80s synth, this is a brilliant scene. The Enterprise is trapped in an asteroid field with radiation-spewing, power draining asteroids all over the place and someone has to get them out. They were gonna let the computer fly the ship but Jean Luc is like 'nah, fuck that'. 

We’ve probably discussed it before but I Think the stylistic changes (it is a prequel after all) are a little too different, and the over reliance on Burnham, who isn’t exactly likeable, as the main plot point, are the main reasons. I liked most of the other characters it’s also lacking some of the fun of the other series. It’s possible it’s a grower, DS9 had its critics back in the day after all and that’s my favourite series.

1 minute ago, KMD7 said:

Outstanding Section, congrats my friend. Can it be purchased online? Not sure how to go about getting one 

Cheers hombre. 

I think so, although I ordered one about six weeks ago and still no sign! Ended up going to Morrisons in the end. As me Mrs said 'better to have two than none'. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Cheers hombre. 

I think so, although I ordered one about six weeks ago and still no sign! Ended up going to Morrisons in the end. As me Mrs said 'better to have two than none'. 

Cheers brother. Will check it out pronto

Janeway is coming back albeit in a

kid friendly animated series. I guess it’s good for them to target new fans but they do seem to be hammering the franchise recently. The pike show is the one I’m most looking forward to.

https://intl.startrek.com/news/kate-mulgrew-returns-to-the-star-trek-universe

Nickelodeon and CBS Studios today announced that Kate Mulgrew (Star Trek: Voyager) will reprise her role as Captain Kathryn Janeway in Nickelodeon’s all-new animated series Star Trek: Prodigy. The news was revealed today as a surprise announcement during the Star TrekUniverse virtual panel at New York Comic Con. Additional casting news will be announced in the coming months.

Developed by Emmy® Award winners Kevin and Dan Hageman (Trollhunters and Ninjago) and overseen for Nickelodeon by Naito, Star Trek: Prodigy follows a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation. The CG-animated series will debut exclusively on Nickelodeon in 2021 for a new generation of fans.

35 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Did you see Kate Mulgrew’s interview on this? It was really inspiring. She’s awesome. Janeway is in my top three Captains (with Pike and Archer). 

Yeah Janeway is class. Both her and Sisko were groundbreaking roles but the show doesn't seem to get enough credit for it even now.

What I liked about Janeway was that she was a tough cookie but still just an ordinary woman. If it was made now, she'd be an expert in engineering, flying, kung fu and would be engaged in a lesbian affair with 7of9 AND the Borg Queen, whom she would eventually kill by kicking off a balcony by shouting "assimilate this bitch!", as the male characters stood in the corner and cried.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah Janeway is class. Both her and Sisko were groundbreaking roles but the show doesn't seem to get enough credit for it even now.

What I liked about Janeway was that she was a tough cookie but still just an ordinary woman. If it was made now, she'd be an expert in engineering, flying, kung fu and would be engaged in a lesbian affair with 7of9 AND the Borg Queen, whom she would eventually kill by kicking off a balcony by shouting "assimilate this bitch!", as the male characters stood in the corner and cried.

That’s something I like Pike for, too. They introduced him - a white, 40 something male - and fuck me, they made him normal, and nice, and able to lead by example. He actually does have a mix of Archer and Janeway in him. Archer was a great Captain. 

Sisko I don’t like much. Picard I can take or leave. I like Burnham, and think she’s a misunderstood character by a lot of fans. I like Kelvin Kirk (and Pike, too). TOS Kirk is an overacting mother fucker. 

There are no Captains I don't like, I loved Picard as he was a completely different animal from any TV leads before or since, except people like say Sherlock Holmes. I watched Family the other day actually, where he goes back to France after the Borg stuff and he's just brilliant in it.

Pike is class in Discovery and it says a lot about Mount's performance that he's right up there with the best ever trek characters.

I even liked Lorca before I knew he was a Terran, hard as fuck. The prime version is gonna show up in Strange New Worlds by all accounts.

I think Kirk is still my favourite but more based on the films. The Wrath of Khan was probably my first real introduction to Star Trek and he's unreal in that and most of the others, except five.

Got my picture taken with him a few years back. I said "hi Bill" and he just said "Hiiiiiiii." I was like a teenage girl watching the Beatles.

Sensational scenes.

• Upvote 1

That episode with his brother at the family home is great. They end up having a scrap and pissing themselves laughing. It’s one of the best TNG episodes. Not quite up there with ‘The Measure of a Man’, but very good. 

Pike has been in almost nothing in comparison, and nobody seems to have any issue with him. Even the cunts from the ‘fandom menace’ leave him alone. Strange New Worlds is going to be my jam. He is the right type of person to lead. Did you get around to watching his Short Treks (I forget... I uploaded them for you I think?). He’s boss. By the end of SNW he’s going to be hands down the best, I reckon. 

Special word for Archer though. I love that guy. Literally set the whole thing off with his code. The embodiment of Starfleet. 

The there’s Shran. Amazing. Coombs to return for SNW? Hope so. 

• Upvote 1

Coombs is fantastic in every episode he is in, wether it’s as a Vorta or an Andorian. I hope he makes an appearance in discovery.

in terms of captains I liked them all. Agree with S31 on Janeway she was brilliantly written. I loved Sisko as he was able to get into some shady shit because he had to but he prob wasn’t the best captain.

just watched the trailer for discovery and it looks good, it will be interesting to see what causes the federation collapse.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

There are no Captains I don't like, I loved Picard as he was a completely different animal from any TV leads before or since, except people like say Sherlock Holmes. I watched Family the other day actually, where he goes back to France after the Borg stuff and he's just brilliant in it.

Pike is class in Discovery and it says a lot about Mount's performance that he's right up there with the best ever trek characters.

I even liked Lorca before I knew he was a Terran, hard as fuck. The prime version is gonna show up in Strange New Worlds by all accounts.

I think Kirk is still my favourite but more based on the films. The Wrath of Khan was probably my first real introduction to Star Trek and he's unreal in that and most of the others, except five.

Got my picture taken with him a few years back. I said "hi Bill" and he just said "Hiiiiiiii." I was like a teenage girl watching the Beatles.

Sensational scenes.

Khan's navigator is a ginge. Just saying!

Picard is far more cerebral than Kirk's gung ho approach but that can be put down to different era's I guess. Archer in Enterprise just didnt sit right with me for some reason. I cannot put my finger on it. Maybe more to do with the actor but again, the character was working in a vastly different era.

I liked Janeway although her insistency of sticking a bit too much to the prime directive did piss me off some what! Sisko in DSN was hampered by being stuck in the unusual surrounds of a station in the Trek universe and I always got the impression his character was held back somewhat.

Having only seen the first series of Discovery and the lead character not being the captain, it's far more difficult to call. Would have been interesting to see how Georgio would have developed. Lorca just seemed a loose cannon and in the end, wasnt surprised he turned out to be from the Teran Empire.

Live long and prosper.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Khan's navigator is a ginge. Just saying!

Picard is far more cerebral than Kirk's gung ho approach but that can be put down to different era's I guess. Archer in Enterprise just didnt sit right with me for some reason. I cannot put my finger on it. Maybe more to do with the actor but again, the character was working in a vastly different era.

I liked Janeway although her insistency of sticking a bit too much to the prime directive did piss me off some what! Sisko in DSN was hampered by being stuck in the unusual surrounds of a station in the Trek universe and I always got the impression his character was held back somewhat.

Having only seen the first series of Discovery and the lead character not being the captain, it's far more difficult to call. Would have been interesting to see how Georgio would have developed. Lorca just seemed a loose cannon and in the end, wasnt surprised he turned out to be from the Teran Empire.

Live long and prosper.

You should definitely give season 2 a chance. Pike is really good. 

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I quite liked Archer, especially that episode which showed him as basically being Buzz Aldren when he actually wanted to be Neil Armstrong. That era of starfleet was really interesting and I thought it had a lot of potential.

Yeah, absolutely boss. Archer was flying into the unknown without a manual, and the Federation not existing was great. 

Just now, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Yeah, absolutely boss. Archer was flying into the unknown without a manual, and the Federation not existing was great. 

I actually got quite emotional watching the credits, flicking from images of astronauts over to Sky News and seeing Donald Trump supporters claiming the Earth was flat. 

• Upvote 1