Jump to content
madstock

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

Star Trek  

112 members have voted

  1. 1. Star Trek

    • Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)


Recommended Posts

The Orville is just terrible in every way.m, in my opinion. It’s a pet hate of mine to hear people call it Trek. It couldn’t be further away. It’s a poor TNG parody. I know some people are TNG as definitive Trek but it’s only a part of it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My point is more about how far ST has gone from what made it good that a parody show can have episodes more in keeping with Trek than it is itself now.

 

orville has some pretty good episodes, I put it off for a long time as I thought it would Just be family guy in space but it’s actually not as “funny” as I thought it would be and there are some episodes that capture older ST for feel. sure they have some lines that wouldn’t be out of place in a Seth mcfarlane cartoon but overall it is enjoyable for what it is. Not quite as good as ST For sure but I’ve found it more enjoyable than Discovery for example. They at least have some likeable characters 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, we definitely won’t agree here. I like Discovery a lot, and absolutely detest the Orville. I get the general point you’re making, there’s definitely some in the fan base who agree with that. I’m just not one of them. Don’t get me wrong, to each his own; watch the things you enjoy. It’s just not for me. I mostly watch it so I can argue with my mate who likes it. I’m a big old bastard like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Discovery but I'd forgotten how fucking dire Picard was until I watched a couple of reviews. There's actually a scene where one of the androids gives a device to them to fix their ship, and says it works by 'just using your imagination'. 

 

The lone strong male character Rios was also a pisstake. A Latino bloke who smokes cigars and drinks tequila, gets dressed up as a pimp at one point and - I'd forgotten this - destroys the android transmitter by putting a bomb in a football and volleying it. Astounding stuff.

 

There's story exposition delivered via an android doing a Vulcan mind meld (even through she's not Vulcan and, presumably, erm doesn't have a mind.)

 

The scene where the federation fleet turns up symbolises the lack of fucks given too. Federation ships have always been painstakingly designed. They all look different from one another. This scene though was basically the same design copy and pasted a thousand times. With good old Riker exclaiming "we've got our phasers locked on your warp cores now get your Romulan asses out of here." It's like my mum had written it, like she'd half overheard terms like 'warp core' and just slapped it in to try and make it sound authentic.

 

I've genuinely never seen a show with such lazy disdain for its own material and fans.

 

I reckon that's why Picard gets told to 'shut the fuck up' by an admiral, female of course, not once but twice. And doesn't answer back. It was sort of like a fuck you to the traditional fans I felt. "You've only turned in to watch your hero? Well watch this!". 

 

Apparently Patrick Stewart came up with the hilarious line where he's talking about Azimov and says "I've never really cared for science fiction." Indeed.

 

I do genuinely wonder what the production staff from previous series would think about it, people who've written engineering books about how the tech works or won Emmys for their writing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Picard was not great. I actually liked Rios. The mind meld was performed by a Romulan, who share genetic make up with Vulcans, so I didn’t have too much of an issue with that. The show was just horse shit though. It could have been really good, and had a premise that was potentially interesting, but then tried to light its own farts and ended up burning their own colons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Numero said:

Yeah, Picard was not great. I actually liked Rios. The mind meld was performed by a Romulan, who share genetic make up with Vulcans, so I didn’t have too much of an issue with that. The show was just horse shit though. It could have been really good, and had a premise that was potentially interesting, but then tried to light its own farts and ended up burning their own colons. 

Nah it was that android. 

 

"How do we see what Agnes saw?"

 

"It just so happens one of my androids has been learning the way of the Vulcans."

 

Yeah I didn't mind Rios, but thought it was funny how a show going for woke basically put together such a racially clichéd character. 

 

Janeway was a pioneering, strong female lead but they don't do subtlety any more. If she was made now she'd be in her late 20s but would have been promoted young because she's so TOTALLY BADASS, she'd be a lesbian, and would slap Chacotay's hand away from her controls at every opportunity. 

 

Picard-S1E9-Et-in-Arcadia-Ego-6-1024x427.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Numero said:

Ohhhh, yeah, the fucking Android did a mind meld too. Yeah that was ridiculous. I’d practically switched off by that point. 

 

That's why it's a lazy show. They had all sorts of tech lying around, stuff for transferring minds and shit, they could have written a couple of lines to explain it away, just couldn't be arsed. That's unforgivable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

 

That's why it's a lazy show. They had all sorts of tech lying around, stuff for transferring minds and shit, they could have written a couple of lines to explain it away, just couldn't be arsed. That's unforgivable.

Yep, you’re right. Even if they’d written in how her body and positronic brain was designed to interact with biological matter yadda yadda. But yeah, it was fuckery. It is a show that should never have happened. It’s a nostalgic pet project to appeal to TNG fans. 

 

Strange New Worlds though... I’m ripping my dick off over that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Numero said:

Yep, you’re right. Even if they’d written in how her body and positronic brain was designed to interact with biological matter yadda yadda. But yeah, it was fuckery. It is a show that should never have happened. It’s a nostalgic pet project to appeal to TNG fans. 

 

Starnge New Worlds though... I’m ripping my dick off over that. 

 

Yeah I like Pike.

 

I don't know what happened with Picard. Maybe it was simply Patrick Stewart's arrogance. He seemingly wanted it to be a vehicle for his thoughts on Trump and Brexit but it was too clumsily and boringly done. I read a review of Waiting for Godot with him and McKellen which said it looked like they were just fucking around and phoning it in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I like Discovery but I'd forgotten how fucking dire Picard was until I watched a couple of reviews. There's actually a scene where one of the androids gives a device to them to fix their ship, and says it works by 'just using your imagination'. 

 

The lone strong male character Rios was also a pisstake. A Latino bloke who smokes cigars and drinks tequila, gets dressed up as a pimp at one point and - I'd forgotten this - destroys the android transmitter by putting a bomb in a football and volleying it. Astounding stuff.

 

There's story exposition delivered via an android doing a Vulcan mind meld (even through she's not Vulcan and, presumably, erm doesn't have a mind.)

 

The scene where the federation fleet turns up symbolises the lack of fucks given too. Federation ships have always been painstakingly designed. They all look different from one another. This scene though was basically the same design copy and pasted a thousand times. With good old Riker exclaiming "we've got our phasers locked on your warp cores now get your Romulan asses out of here." It's like my mum had written it, like she'd half overheard terms like 'warp core' and just slapped it in to try and make it sound authentic.

 

I've genuinely never seen a show with such lazy disdain for its own material and fans.

 

I reckon that's why Picard gets told to 'shut the fuck up' by an admiral, female of course, not once but twice. And doesn't answer back. It was sort of like a fuck you to the traditional fans I felt. "You've only turned in to watch your hero? Well watch this!". 

 

Apparently Patrick Stewart came up with the hilarious line where he's talking about Azimov and says "I've never really cared for science fiction." Indeed.

 

I do genuinely wonder what the production staff from previous series would think about it, people who've written engineering books about how the tech works or won Emmys for their writing.

Agree with all of that, it’s actually mad how lazy they got with it. Particularly annoyed me how they got a retired ruler to lead a fleet??

 

I actually liked the early episodes of Picard as I thought it was building to something great but it was poor in the end the focus should have been on the Borg and what it meant to have / be AI I’ll probably still watch the next season in the hope it gets better.

 

discovery’s main problem for me is I do t give a shit about Michael she’s not likeable, neither are many of the others. Tilly and the Kelpian I like but they really need to spend more time with the rest of the crew rather than having Burnham being central to everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JagSquared said:

Agree with all of that, it’s actually mad how lazy they got with it. Particularly annoyed me how they got a retired ruler to lead a fleet??

 

I actually liked the early episodes of Picard as I thought it was building to something great but it was poor in the end the focus should have been on the Borg and what it meant to have / be AI I’ll probably still watch the next season in the hope it gets better.

 

discovery’s main problem for me is I do t give a shit about Michael she’s not likeable, neither are many of the others. Tilly and the Kelpian I like but they really need to spend more time with the rest of the crew rather than having Burnham being central to everything. 

Yeah I'm not fussed on Burnham either. I loved Jason Isaccs as Lorca though. And the general production values are brilliant. I like Saru, Tilly and Stamets plus also the female comedian that plays the engineer they picked up in the last series. Plus Pike is class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Numero said:

I actually love Burnham. Her development is in full swing. I’m pumped for season 3. It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with. 

 

I find her to be just a series of monologues about love, hope etc, bit heavy handed. But she's okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, skend04 said:

https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-lower-decks-sets-release-date

 

New animated show by one of the Rick and Morty creators.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting. I saw a few videos about it yesterday. I think it's going to be out early August. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/06/2020 at 23:46, Section_31 said:

Been watching Enterprise lately, I'd never seen it as I'd come off the back of Voyager at the time and thought the franchise needed a rest, that I'd seen it all before.

 

But it's like finding buried treasure. After the identity politics and shoddy "nobody gives a fuck" writing and production of Picard, along with its pompous rejection of - oh yes - everything that Star Trek stood for, it's been great telly to watch, especially during lockdown.

 

That's what's special about Star Trek. Bear in mind the original told tales of multiculturalism and optimism in an era that was just as fucked up as ours, with Uhura on the bridge even as race riots took place down the street, that's it's magic. That's why watching something like Enterprise has felt even more impactful, because I'm watching it NOW. Turn on the news and social media and it's endless talk of how cunty human beings are, but then there's this one show of how humans can be good, can be moral, can expand their horizons. And that's why Star Trek will always be more than just a show.

For me one of the most underrated series....I thought some of the underlying themes are far more nuanced and mature then it was given credit for and just thoroughly great entertainment.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

For me one of the most underrated series....I thought some of the underlying themes are far more nuanced and mature then it was given credit for and just thoroughly great entertainment.

Definitely. Archer stealing another ship's warp coil and leaving them to limp home for three years so they could reach the xindi weapon in time was pretty edgy stuff for Trek, thought the fact Trip didn't even go to college nevermind starfleet academy was great too, he learned about engines working on boats in Florida.

 

I loved the dynamic around Archer too, the idea that he was this Neil Armstrong figure.

 

The Vulcan episodes that showed you how they became the culture of Spock's era and didn't become like the Romulans was class too.

 

I'd put Archer, T'Pol, Trip and Phlox right up there among the very best Star Trek characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, niallers said:

It seems most of the hate for enterprise was over the opening song. I quite liked it to be honest.

Yeah the Rod Stewart version is class.

 

I actually think "franchise fatigue" is a good explanation. I loved Star Trek back then and I thought it had got weaker and weaker. The TNG films were getting lazier (once again, giving Patrick Stewart any creative control always seems a bad idea) and Voyager got shitter.

 

When i saw Enterprise advertised I thought they were just trying to rush any old shit out just to keep the franchise going. With Berman and Braga involved that did nothing to change my mind.

 

Also, it just didn't have the zeitgeist back then. I was into the reimagined Battlestar Galactica back then and they didn't compare favorably. I remember watching an episode of BSG where stage actors were handling issues like torture and having shootouts with bullets, then watching part of an episode of Enterprise where a Mirror Archer was fighting with a CGI Gorn, a giant lizard.

 

Now though things have come full circle. The world is so fucking shit and we're surrounded by almost hourly updates of how corrupted the human spirit has become, that to see a version of the future were humans are explorers again, where they embrace adventure for the sake of it, is what made star trek special in the first place. Seeing the opening credits of astronauts and thinking "yeah  now it's fucking Elon Musk". But we can turn it around, we just need to push through the pain barrier of the eugenics wars, Khan Singh and the small matter of the third world war so we can clear the decks and start afresh.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×