You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

Picard has been superb so far. The only thing that hasn’t sat right with me was the Synths depicted as being used almost as slave labour in the Martian shipyards. I thought The Measure Of A Man had established a baseline on that not happening.

Although I’ve enjoyed seeing characters from TNG such as Maddox and Hugh being very naturally brought into the story, and Data making good on his promise to Maddox that when he was ready he’d work with him.

17 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Picard has been superb so far. The only thing that hasn’t sat right with me was the Synths depicted as being used almost as slave labour in the Martian shipyards. I thought The Measure Of A Man had established a baseline on that not happening.

Although I’ve enjoyed seeing characters from TNG such as Maddox and Hugh being very naturally brought into the story, and Data making good on his promise to Maddox that when he was ready he’d work with him.

Measure of a Man was more about Data’s ability. Those F8 models seemed far less sentient, much more about utility. I feel like they showed that quite well, actually. Asking F8 what it did last night etc. 

I haven’t watched Measure of a Man in a bit though. 

56 minutes ago, Anubis said:

36 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Measure of a Man was more about Data’s ability. Those F8 models seemed far less sentient, much more about utility. I feel like they showed that quite well, actually. Asking F8 what it did last night etc. 

I haven’t watched Measure of a Man in a bit though. 

Picard's point in the excellent Measure of a man was that the Federation and Maddox in particular should not be able to create a race of  androids whose whole reason for existing was to save human on the battle field being sacrificed in conflicts or do the menial tasks humans didnt want to. In other words, slaves.

"Is it sentient? I dont know but there it sits. He meets two out of your three conditions so far, Commander!"

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

It’s a minor quibble, but one that has not properly sat right with me because The Measure Of A Man is one of my favourite TNG episodes.

Yeah, it’s a great episode. Though, I’m going to watch it again later because instinctively I don’t think it indicates quite as strongly against the use of androids in general. If it does, then it’s actually a really good catch. 

Had a look online and came across this on a podcast preview page reviewing Episode 3. Just went back to the pre-credit sequences for Episode 2 and 3 and this is a very good spot.

When F8 goes rogue in Episode 2 we see his eyes are yellow and a light sort of circles them briefly before he goes full on kill machine.

In the pre-credit sequence in Episode 3 where it goes over the same incident but as a montage, his eyes actually have writing in them like code, unlike Ep 2. I’m not sure it necessary means anything but quite often it’s little details like this which are there for a reason. Also, I’m not buying that the Borg cube is quite as dormant as they think. This is a screen cap. If you can zoom in you can read the writing.

It appears to read:

...iminary] > corre...

...f.diff_yesterday

Star-Trek-Picard-S01E03-01.36-Previously

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

If they hadn’t pointed it out I wouldn’t have noticed.

Just watched that scene in the opening sequence. It’s only part of the code in that screenshot. It scrolls up and has quite a bit of code. It’s probably just generic stuff that is basically saying ‘code is being executed in order to override this unit’s programming’. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So finished this yesterday and really enjoyed the season I liked the development of romulan culture and also the synth storyline but would have preferred it to be on a bigger scale. The last episode was good and had tension, they could have utilised 7 of 9 more but maybe we get that next year. 

The only thing that annoyed me was SPOILER...

was picards miracle recovery at the end it was a bit of a cop out, if they wanted to have him survive for Season 2 they could have left that brain aneurism thing until next season. Him dying and then coming back just felt too obvious and it lost the element of shock as you knew he was going to be ok.

6 hours ago, JagSquared said:

So finished this yesterday and really enjoyed the season I liked the development of romulan culture and also the synth storyline but would have preferred it to be on a bigger scale. The last episode was good and had tension, they could have utilised 7 of 9 more but maybe we get that next year. 

The only thing that annoyed me was SPOILER...

was picards miracle recovery at the end it was a bit of a cop out, if they wanted to have him survive for Season 2 they could have left that brain aneurism thing until next season. Him dying and then coming back just felt too obvious and it lost the element of shock as you knew he was going to be ok.

He died, they just put his consciousness in that synth they were cooking up in the lab. The one that was meant for Data's brother.

On 29/03/2020 at 18:01, skend04 said:

Reveal hidden contents

He died, they just put his consciousness in that synth they were cooking up in the lab. The one that was meant for Data's brother.

Yeah I got that, it’s still miraculous and made the whole point of the scenes a bit pointless 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Picard was shite, absolutely dire. What annoyed me the most is the reason it was shite - basically it seemed like nobody involved gave a fuck. 

I reckon Patrick Stewart had a big load of wedge dangled in front of him and decided to come back for that, but also to work with his mates again (the Next Generation cast are all still really good mates). That seems to come across in some of the Picard episodes, like where Stewart is wearing an eye patch and speaking in a dreadful French accent, the episode was directed by Frakes (Riker) and I reckon they just thought it was a good opportunity to fuck around.

Unfortunately though, the story was shite, things happened or didn't happen, and there was very rarely any reason for it.

Two scenes made me think that. The bit at the end of the episode where Picard goes to visit Riker and Troi and the android girl he's with (whose name I can't remember, because I don't care) is trying to remember where her home planet is as it has two suns. So Riker and Troi's kid types it into her phone on Google or something and figures it out, they all say cheers and that's the end of that episode - 'now we know where to go next!'. Or some shite.

There's a bit where that cybernetics blonde woman (whose name I can't remember, because I don't care) who murdered Bruce Maddox in cold blood (seemingly with no repercussions) has 'seen the dreadful future' about how this synthetic menace is going to come and destroy everyone. But how are the androids on Soong's planet going to see what she's seen? "It just so happens, one of our androids has studied the ways of the Vulcan mind meld!" Yes, of course she has. 

They did it in the final battle too. Star Trek traditionally has Federation ships which all have different designs (even in the 90s when CGI wasn't around they used to buy model kits and knock new ones together (they called them kitbash models) just out of pure passion for the show and their craft.

In this final battle though, all the CGI designs looked the same (because they couldn't be arsed) and Riker (who was in the 24th centuray version of the TA) had been given command of the whole fucking fleet. The bridge set was the Discovery set too - they just couldn't be arsed.  

It's just pure 'don't give a fuck' laziness'. It's like writing for Coronation Street and trying to figure out how to get Ken Barlow to get Peter out of debt with a loanshark and, rather than figure out a realistic storyline just saying 'actually, it just so happens Ken has been trained in mortal combat and automatic weapons'. That's what you'd do if you were writing Corry and hated it, and if Bill Roache was just doing it for the money and didn't give a fuck. 

It's tragic because Star Trek was always about the details. It's science was always accurate (Steven Hawking asked to visit the set and was written into an episode of TNG) and it inspired generations of scientists and engineers. This, and Discovery to a lesser extent, can't be bothered with all that bollocks, the writers just throw around science terms they've heard on  telly. 

"I've constructed a dark matter energy shield to stop the spread of this silicon virus." "Why's it silicon?" "I...don't know." "Why would Dark Matter be used in a force field?" "Oh fucking grow up NERD!!!!" 

In keeping with Stewart's probable trendy loviness too, the whole film is - and I hate the word - woke to fuck. 

All the strong characters are women, all the men are welps, except seemingly the erm, latino captain who smokes Cuban cigars and calls everyone 'mano'. 

"I'm admiral hard woman, this is Commadore hard woman (who's actually a hard romulan woman in disguise) and this is her assistant, another hard woman (who's a romulan hard woman in disguise), Picard must seek the help of a hard woman (who lives in a 24th century caravan) and will be saved during a battle by Seven of Nine, who herself has become a tough hard woman and who will gun down in cold blood the head of a crime syndicate - who is also a hard woman". 

The characters by and large are horrendous, why the fuck would you have a sword in a universe full of energy weapons? Loads of it doesn't make sense (whey was the Borg ship in it at all?) 

The worst thing about the show though is that it's just basically shit on the whole premise of Star Trek, a premise Stewart probably thinks (and perhaps always did think) was naff, he did afterall push for Picard to become an action hero in the TNG films. 

The premise is that humans have evolved, there's no poverty, people are essentially interested in exploration and science. Picard says a line at the end that 'Data saw through our pettiness and our shitness (I can't remember the exact line, because I don't care) but it basically undermined the whole entire point of Star Trek, Star Trek - not Bladerunner or Star Wars, Star Trek). 

Same when he went to pick that security woman up too who was living in a caravan and was moaning that she was poor. Poor, in a century where money doesn't exist and where you can replicate anything you need. 

It's just total shite. Worst thing is, if you say any of this  you just get hit with the fact they were 'trying to do something different' or 'it's a story for our time'. (is it supposed to have some kind of Donald Trump undertones? I didn't see it, maybe they wanted to but weren't good enough to pull it off). 

All of that is just a masquerade for poor writing, we've seen it with the Ghostbusters remake and films like The Last Jedi, buy into an existing fanbase, serve up some shit, then criticize the people who point out that your story didn't make sense and your characters were shite as being unable to have grasped your vision. 

I've never played it, but I've seen and read that the whole story premise too was basically ripped off a game called Mass Effect. 

That's the modern world of TV and film now sadly, buy a fanbase and juice them with any old shit until there's nowt left to juice. 

Bunch of lazy, uncreative cunts. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Pike to get his own show. Great news, Anson Mount as Pike was fucking boss. Just hope none of Picard's writers are let anywhere near it.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/news/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-pike-series-announcement/

Finally it's been officially announced. I'm guessing it stuck with Strange New Worlds? Can't wait for this one. It might actually be the first new 'old Trek' style stuff we've had since... I dunno, the Kelvin timeline, I guess - which I actually liked a lot.