You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

After reading the thread regarding the hamsters in the TLW servers running out of food, and in particular the insightful and entirely accurate comment from Mr Skeet that "He used to think Star Trek was great, but then reached the age of 9", my mind turned to Star Trek - the first image to jump into my head was thus:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=274&g2_serialNumber=2

Now I concede that years ago "Star Trekkin'" was a novelty pop-song extraordinaire, and some of the outfits were utterly stupendous:

04uhura.jpg

However, the wholly obsessive nature of many Trekkers, Trekkies, or whatever they are calling themselves, coupled with "Klingon" (the language that seems to be part-Polish, part-Welsh, but mostly bollocks as opposed to the BS defender) does leave me thinking:

Star Trek

*shakes head*

No doubt this will split the forum in two, and a poll is to follow before someone pipes up "where's the poll?"

I actually think it's ok in the sense that if I was round someone's place and they were watching I wouldn't sit there and pick it to death.

The problem I have with it now are the people who watch it rather than the show itself. Someone needs to tell them, and I think I'm that someone that it isn't real life, is never going to be and isn't actually that entertaining anyway.

I hate it when people talk about it and then start telling star trek jokes. It's like being at work when the nerds start telling Microsoft Vs Linux jokes.

It's like being at work when the nerds start telling Microsoft Vs Linux jokes.

I excel at those.

I don't actually have a problem with nerds/geeks, as I would consider myself to fit in those two categories quite nicely, however the whole unhealthiness of the Star Trek pursuit is what I find bewildering.

I excel at those.

I don't actually have a problem with nerds/geeks, as I would consider myself to fit in those two categories quite nicely, however the whole unhealthiness of the Star Trek pursuit is what I find bewildering.

Please refrain whenever we're in the same room. I might be forced to choke you on a copy of 'Linux for Dummies'

It's fuckin ace and people living outside the states don't understand just what a significant show it was.

The first ever space shuttle was called 'Enterprise' in homage to the show (even though it didn't get into space to be fair)

It had the world's first televised interacial kiss, and when Uhura was on about packing it in - Martin Luther King visited her and begged her not to, saying she offered hope to a whole generation that one day black people (let alone women) would be equal.

It also inspired a whole generation of engineers and NASA types to get into the industry.

Some of the stories in TNG and DS9 were ace and overlooked by people who don't give it a chance due to the sneering Jonathan Ross-esque 'it's just shit' factor.

• Upvote 2

I like to think I've got decent taste in TV, The Shield, The Wire, Sopranos, Band of Brothers.

And yet a Star Trek: The Next Generation two-parter called 'The Best of Both Worlds' is without doubt the finest 90 minutes of television I've ever seen - FACT.

The Best of Both Worlds (Star Trek: The Next Generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Upvote 1

I like to think I've got decent taste in TV, The Shield, The Wire, Sopranos, Band of Brothers.

And yet a Star Trek: The Next Generation two-parter called 'The Best of Both Worlds' is without doubt the finest 90 minutes of television I've ever seen - FACT.

The Best of Both Worlds (Star Trek: The Next Generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Borg are one of the greatest creations ever to hit a screen of any size. The original shows were shit but the modern stuff I watched growing up as a kid was outstanding. I still to this day wish I could be head of security on a space station and sleep in a bucket.

• 10 months later...