You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

23 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Discovery seasons one and two were good I thought. Isaccs and Mount were class.

Yeah, with the exception of some of the ‘it’s all about you Michael’ stuff at the end of S2, I thought it was decent. It could have been a brilliant turning point in S3… then they did THAT. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alan Sex said:

3 solid episodes in a row. 

I have to admit I’m now totally hooked. 

It's amazing how the three shows are so completely diffent in quality and undertanding Trek when they have the same show runner. 

This is definitely the best Trek show in 20 years. More of this, less of old man in space & the other piece of shit. 

*Presses replicator start button*

“Computer, give me the beginning of Best of Both Workds: Part One, some Q Who?, a dash of Wrath of Khan, and top it off with some old school war film sub hunt tension.”

Strange New Worlds Ep4 - hugely enjoyable stuff. They have their Borg.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

*Presses replicator start button*

“Computer, give me the beginning of Best of Both Workds: Part One, some Q Who?, a dash of Wrath of Khan, and top it off with some old school war film sub hunt tension.”

Strange New Worlds Ep4 - hugely enjoyable stuff. They have their Borg.

Amazes me this comes from the same people who have given us Discovery & Picard.   

• Upvote 2

It’s like somebody sat down and thought men, women, LGBTQ, black, white, brown, alien, we’ve got you covered, But it’s not about those things. No agenda. Just strong, smart, likeable characters, who happen to have those attributes, working together to do strong, smart, likeable things. 

Maybe, as it has in the past, Star Trek is showing the way. Please just keep it up.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Amazes me this comes from the same people who have given us Discovery & Picard.   

Like I always say, Discovery and Picard aren't a mistake. They were meant to be like that, and some people love them. The approach seems to be very clearly 'make lots of different types of Trek so that there's something for everyone'. 

5 hours ago, Alan Sex said:

After the show - what did they have to get so wrong about the last two tries to make this one so right?

out of 10, this one goes to eleven. 

Not sure about Discovery but I think Patrick Stewart being a producer on Picard was part of the problem. I reckon his brainfarts and casting ideas just became plot threads else he'd walk.

Similar thing happened in Nemesis, I think Brent Spiner had brought John Logan in (his mate) as the writer which is why it was such a mess. 

"Picard and Data go for a ride in a dune buggy"

"Why?"

"Cos I said so."

40 years since the magnificent Wrath of Khan.

Honestly, if you can't masturbate to the Prefix Code scene you're tired of life.

When Nicholas Meyer was directing the scene he said Shatner kept overacting and saying 'Here it comes!!!', but Meyer wanted it to be understated so he kept doing reshoots deliberately to make Shatner bored so by the time he got around to delivering the line he couldn't be arsed, worked a treat.

• Upvote 1

Change of pace from SNW Episode 5. More of a mildly comic episode, letting it take a breath. Still reasonably entertaining, and with a great musical score call back to the original series in the pre-credit sequence.

6 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Change of pace from SNW Episode 5. More of a mildly comic episode, letting it take a breath. Still reasonably entertaining, and with a great musical score call back to the original series in the pre-credit sequence.

My favourite episode of the season. Absolutely stunning scenes of the ship at the end. I watched Amok Time just before this, the episode of TOS this dovetails with, and it was pretty seamless. That’s a 10/10 from me. These opening five episodes are quite easily the best opening episodes of Trek I’ve ever seen. This is what I wanted from this show.

It really is enjoyable and refreshing, the fact that stories have a conclusion each week is a big thing i think, I felt Discovery and Picard were confusing as there were so many plot points that petered out, or we’re never really closed off properly (expected as it’s only 10 episodes a season).

i was talking to my mate and we were talking about if there was anything we didn’t like and i really had to think because I think it’s great the only thing I could think of is that while I really like the cast there are a couple of very minor things that I wish they had done differently, like how everyone is super sure of themselves “I’m a genius “ etc. I’d like a more everyday characters like O’Brien. Maybe we’ll see that as they explore the characters more.

Love it though and I’m super happy they have found something more that appeals to the more seasoned ST fans. 

Having said that I do think this is more accessible for newbies than Picard or discovery were. 

43 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They sound like sexuallly transmitted diseases. 

Wart and you talking about, Willies. 

Seriously though, these are decent episodes. Apparently season two, which is 6 episodes into production, is even better. Which means it’s way worse. So enjoy it whilst you can. 

8 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Wondering if a review of this week's episode goes in here or Rico's thread?

Joking apart, it's been a really good show up to now. And Spock's missus would get some game fo' sho'.

As would the trans character!

Really decent episode again, some subtle stuff in there. And some not so subtle stuff. It’s just good Star Trek. 7 episodes and no duds. Some better than others but all very much decent. 

• Upvote 1