You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

So, Picard. Up until the final three episodes, I genuinely liked it. But if episodes 6 and 7 had fucked it up, then episode 8 was those little edible ball bearings on top of the fuck up cake.

Group hugs all around. The Borg, one of the most iconic and relentless villains in sci-fi, neutered and members of the fucking Federation??!! Hi Agnes, not seen you for 400 years so no idea if your a cybernetic psycho or not, but here’s the fleet, it’s yours. An out of nowhere sub-plot to shoehorn in an actress from season one and Wesley fucking Crusher - who’s career trajectory, both character and actor, must be on Scott Baio levels of descent. Q’s magical get out clause. And even while facing off with the Borg, not a single ship’s sensors had registered the big fuck-off energy whirlpool that had appeared in the quadrant. I should have listened to the rest of you.

I contemplated putting the episode back on and chucking something at the tv, but watched Strange New Worlds instead. And it couldn’t have been more different. It was like watching classic Trek again. Thank fuck somebody looks like they’re making an effort to get it all back on track. Really enjoyed it.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Anubis said:

So, Picard. Up until the final three episodes, I genuinely liked it. But if episodes 6 and 7 had fucked it up, then episode 8 was those little edible ball bearings on top of the fuck up cake.

Group hugs all around. The Borg, one of the most iconic and relentless villains in sci-fi, neutered and members of the fucking Federation??!! Hi Agnes, not seen you for 400 years so no idea if your a cybernetic psycho or not, but here’s the fleet, it’s yours. An out of nowhere sub-plot to shoehorn in an actress from season one and Wesley fucking Crusher - who’s career trajectory, both character and actor, must be on Scott Baio levels of descent. Q’s magical get out clause. And even while facing off with the Borg, not a single ship’s sensors had registered the big fuck-off energy whirlpool that had appeared in the quadrant. I should have listened to the rest of you.

I contemplated putting the episode back on and chucking something at the tv, but watched Strange New Worlds instead. And it couldn’t have been more different. It was like watching classic Trek again. Thank fuck somebody looks like they’re making an effort to get it all back on track. Really enjoyed it.

After waiting for Picard to be released I only watched the first 4 episodes and didn't go back to it, a real let down, and after reading the opinions on here I'm glad I didn't waste any more of my time with it.

I take it Wesley Crusher was there as a Traveller because I used to wonder if they were going to reintigrate him back in the story somewhere years ago and thought it might have been in some final battle with the Borg, in a film perhaps.

But then again, the character was so wet perhaps not.

Interesting that a lot of the production and writing staff were the same on both shows, which makes me wonder if Stewart was the problem.

'I want Spiner in the show'

'I want Whoopi in the show' 

'i want to talk about domestic violence as my dad was a cunt (which he was apparently)

'I want to talk Brexit, Trump and discrimination.'

'i don't want uniforms or space ships because I don't like them' 

Narrative and drama and 'making sense' be damned.

Truly a dreadful end to a dreadful season.  Not sure even the TNG crew returning can bring me back after that.   Had such his hopes at the start of the series too.

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

Truly a dreadful end to a dreadful season.  Not sure even the TNG crew returning can bring me back after that.   Had such his hopes at the start of the series too.

The guinan force projection in the utterly pointless episode with the FBI agent was nuts, almost as mental as when that ship was flown to rendevouz with the Discovery by a cat, or the android that could mind meld by 'studying the ways of the Vulcans'. It is genuinely like the writers are taking the piss sometimes.

With both series of Picard they started well enough and could have gone in some interesting directions, but they end up picking up too many threads, not knowing what to do with them, spinning them out unnecessarily and then having to be lazy as fuck in tying them up. Similar to GOT in a way, albeit without the same level of quality in the beginning (and with some hideously unsubtle social commentary shoehorned in), but where you spend so long weaving through storylines and then you realise you've got about two hours of screentime to wrap them all up and the only way you can do it is to cut corners, stamp all over the rules of your established universe and leave everybody unsatisfied.

It just feels like a massive missed opportunity, making what could be a simple and straightforward series - but an interestingly different one - and turning it into an unsolveable mess.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, redheart said:

Strange New Worlds a promising start but a tad clunky in place. Too much speaking the plot and a few too many Star Trek knowing jokes/references rammed in.

But very promising

I'll get around to strange new worlds but from what I've seen it still looks a bit of Abrams for my tastes, Marvel style one liners and lens flares.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I'll get around to strange new worlds but from what I've seen it still looks a bit of Abrams for my tastes, Marvel style one liners and lens flares.

You should watch the first episode. There's some Abrams in there, this isn't (and shouldn't be) a TNG clone (especially some of the dross served up by TNG) insofar as the visuals aren't like TOS or TNG, and I think that'd be an instant flop if they did, so it's more cinematic than that, but only like S2 of Discovery. As for one liners... give the first episode a watch. There's some stuff in there that gives pretty much in Trek history a run for its money; given that they're still introducing the characters, that'll do for me. 

8 hours ago, M_B said:

Episode 2 of Strange New Worlds is pretty good. Nice to have Star Trek back as I knew it.

Yeah, it's a shame we had to go through Discovery & Picard to get here. Though you could argue that without Discovery we'd not be here at all. 

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, it's a shame we had to go through Discovery & Picard to get here. Though you could argue that without Discovery we'd not be here at all. 

That’s true. I think there were some good bits in the first two seasons of Discovery, especially Pike, Una, and Spock. It’s like they stripped all that away, took all the bad bits, condensed them into a script, and added them to seasons 3 and 4. S4 is, I maintain, the worst season of any Star Trek show. Considering there’s quite a few dodgy seasons, that’s saying something. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That’s true. I think there were some good bits in the first two seasons of Discovery, especially Pike, Una, and Spock. It’s like they stripped all that away, took all the bad bits, condensed them into a script, and added them to seasons 3 and 4. S4 is, I maintain, the worst season of any Star Trek show. Considering there’s quite a few dodgy seasons, that’s saying something. 

Not seen S4 of Discovery. Doubt I will now & have no intention of seeking it out.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not seen S4 of Discovery. Doubt I will now & have no intention of seeking it out.

It's so, so bad. I have to watch it because I've watched every episode of the franchise, most of them several times, and it would be weird for me to have this hole in the run of shows, no matter how bad it gets. I tell you what though, I was absolutely fucking insulted by it. Missing out on it is a good choice. 

27 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It's so, so bad. I have to watch it because I've watched every episode of the franchise, most of them several times, and it would be weird for me to have this hole in the run of shows, no matter how bad it gets. I tell you what though, I was absolutely fucking insulted by it. Missing out on it is a good choice. 

Is it Last Jedi bad? 
Anyway SNW #2.

Proper old school trek feel to the show.  About time they got it right. 

8 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Good thing I gave up on Discovery after season 3, which until I watched Picard season 2, was the worst season of Star Trek I had ever seen. Hard to believe anything could be as bad as that!

As for SNW - fantastic start. I don't want to get ahead of myself since Picard S2 started very well too before falling off a cliff from episode 3 onwards - but I remain optimistic for SNW. They have got most of the essential Trek ingredients right so far. I can do without the casual swearing and the odd sappy moment but so far, very promising. 

• Upvote 1