You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

A Stitch in Time is great. I've not read many books but one of the few characters I really loved on DS9 was Garak, so I had too. 

I hated Garak, thought he was a creepy spook. Which he was. Turned out to be one of the more deep and 'humane' of all the characters, despite his Obsidian shenanigans. Though he had me at his "never tell the same lie twice" morality summation!

6 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

I hated Garak, thought he was a creepy spook. Which he was. Turned out to be one of the more deep and 'humane' of all the characters, despite his Obsidian shenanigans. Though he had me at his "never tell the same lie twice" morality summation!

Yeah, he’s right up my street as a character. Just wish he had more screen time. 

• Downvote 1

Fuck me, Picard is astonishingly bad, I was laughing at it in places this week.

I've genuinely never seen anything so half arsed and cobbled together, save maybe something like Doctors or  channel 5 soap.

New plot threads arrive and disappear in the space of ten minutes, whole episodes, events and characters have no bearing on what comes after of before.

It's like the writers just picked words and ideas, most of them 'borrowed', then all went to different rooms to slap them down on paper but didn't really want to.

10 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I've genuinely never seen anything so half arsed and cobbled together, save maybe something like Doctors or  channel 5 soap.

New plot threads arrive and disappear in the space of ten minutes, whole episodes, events and characters have no bearing on what comes after of before.

It's like the writers just picked words and ideas, most of them 'borrowed', then all went to different rooms to slap them down on paper but didn't really want to.

The biggest thing for me is how it's such a cut and shut, no arc for the episode, just focus on the season arc nonsense. On my rewatch of S1, I have to say I liked it much more than I did the first time around (stupid fucking ending aside), and there's some delicate stuff in there that I appreciated. I think this will be better binged too, but it's still all over the place. There's some stuff in there that's decent, but above all it's not very Star and it's not very Trek. I just want it to end so that we can see what SNW is like. All of the media coming out looks really very Star Trek-ish, which worries me because the disappointment levels are going to be strong if it flops. SNW is being created by people who seem to actually want Star Trek to be Star Trek, which is a bonus for people who like Star Trek. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It wasn’t the greatest. The only upside was more of the lovely Orla.  

4 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

The biggest thing for me is how it's such a cut and shut, no arc for the episode, just focus on the season arc nonsense. On my rewatch of S1, I have to say I liked it much more than I did the first time around (stupid fucking ending aside), and there's some delicate stuff in there that I appreciated. I think this will be better binged too, but it's still all over the place. There's some stuff in there that's decent, but above all it's not very Star and it's not very Trek. I just want it to end so that we can see what SNW is like. All of the media coming out looks really very Star Trek-ish, which worries me because the disappointment levels are going to be strong if it flops. SNW is being created by people who seem to actually want Star Trek to be Star Trek, which is a bonus for people who like Star Trek. 

The thing is for me, and it's a wider issue with remade pop culture now, it's just the basic quality.

The same was true of stuff like The Last Jedi, I remember laughing in the cinema it was that bad.

People who love it will say something like 'oh it's because it subverted your expectations', and it's not, it was just shite.

If I was a writer and someone asked me to write a follow up to, say, 24, which is a show I'd never watched and never liked. If I took on the job I'd watch the whole thing through a couple of times and try to craft some kind of story.

I like to think I wouldn't write something like:

Bird: "Jack all our systems are down."

Jack: "Fuck. Here, use this memory stick, it'll fix the problem."

Bird: "Wait what now? Where did you get it?"

Jack: "You're on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know. Oh and why do you look exactly like the villain from last season?"

Bird: "Becauss ancestors."

The end.

On the next episode, a completely different cast doing completely different things. 

16 hours ago, Section_31 said:

After seeing all these types of comments, I watched some of the 5 minute snippets of Picard S2 on You Tube to see what the fuss was about.

Fuck me, Stewart looks and sounds really old now and yes I know he's in his 80's.

The overriding thing that struck me is that that Jurati's tits look like they're on some form of platform to lift them up. They look fucking weird!

17 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Can I change my vote? Nu Trek is SHIT. This season of Picard is unbelievably poor. Worse than any season of Discovery. And that's saying something.

Oh, I dunno, have you seen S4 of Discovery? That's going to take some serious beating in the 'absolutely dogshit' stakes. 

What really pisses me off about modern Trek are the sucker punches.

Whenever you see a trailer, or a pilot or a poster, it's filled with callbacks and stuff designed to get the nostalgia flowing. Then suddenly they pull your pants down and you're watching the same old shite.

Picard season 2 went from the Stargazer investigating a spatial anomaly - promising stuff - to a pair of old lesbians moaning about US immigration policy in the space of 40 minutes. 

They're just vehicles now for the opinions of people like Patrick Stewart and the shite right on writers. 

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh, I dunno, have you seen S4 of Discovery? That's going to take some serious beating in the 'absolutely dogshit' stakes. 

Nope, I gave up on Disco after the 3rd season so I have no idea how bad season 4 is, thankfully.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Picard episode 8.  Utter crap.  If not for the TNG crew returning in Season 3 that’d be me done with this shit.  What the fuck have they done to Star Trek?? 

I've stopped watching it, it's garbage. 

The tragedy is the disdain the old guard like Spiner and Stewart must have for Star Trek to not demand better. Stewart had his wife singing on it last week, the violent father storyline was similar to his real family background, Frakes is directing and they're probably just a bunch of mates fucking around on set. But seemingly nobody cares about the actual material.

Caught up and here’s a couple of things I do like; the Latina Doctor - terrible storyline but…

James callis cameo in ep7 I really liked him in BSG it’s a shame he isn’t in more things. I always used to get him and Alexander Siddig mixed up. It was interesting to see Picards family (poorly executed) and it kind of helps explain why he never settled down.

I also like young Guinan but can’t remember if she made any references to being on earth when she was on TNG.

I think a massive issue with Picard is that the seasons are based on not terrible premises and there are elements that are really interesting like S1 expanding on romulan culture and the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus, even the AI rights (even if it was kind covered in TNG) was interesting until the reveal was a hotline to inter dimensional robot exterminators. s2 is also a good opportunity to bring Q’s tests of humanity in TNG to a head it’s also less “blow stuff up” like discovery is.

the problem is that the execution is poor and details are ill thought out. I think it’s why so many are annoyed by it. It looks like trek, but it’s missing some key ingredients to make it feel like trek. Just a missed opportunity all round.

I didn’t mind episode 8 as long as long as I kind of agree to forget some of the glaring holes.

26 minutes ago, skend04 said:

SNW getting good early reviews. But we've been here before.

The one thing I didn't like from the trailer was where Pike beams in to the room full of arguing aliens and goes: "hiiiiiii.'

That's pure marvel that. 

"That's new"

"Wait what now?"

I wish characters would go back to talking like people talk. It permeates star wars and star trek now.

Picard is absolute aids, never seen such a nonsense show, absolutely all over the place.

Has anyone been watching Picard? I don't think I've ever seen a more narrative mess, it's like they genuinely don't care. I've honestly never seen a TV show like it.

I've seen shit telly, stuff like Doctors or Hollyoaks in terms of the dialogue/story, but have honestly never seen anything which makes as little sense as Picard does in  terms of how people get from plot point A to B, or where entire plot points simply vanish, it's like they were all pissed when they were writing it.

"How do they get out of jail?"

"She uses her mind powers." 

"Does she have mind powers?"

"She does now."