You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

Was thinking a bit about Picard and some of its issues, and I think Patrick Stewart is the biggest problem.

I remember watching the Mr Plinkett reviews of the Next Gen films and he pointed out, correctly, that Picard is a completely different character. 

He'd become an action hero, fucking around with a vest on and driving dune buggies, leading an armed insurgency and the likes. He'd been agitating for more action in the final couple of seasons too, even though that wasn't how the character was written.

I think Stewart essentially thinks Star Trek is a load of old bollocks. The producers came to him cap in hand and gave him everything he wanted. 

He wanted a dark future, no uniform, no next gen characters (at first), and now to film in LA, a producer credit and no doubt a shed load of money. 

He doesn't care for the material though IMO, or the character.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Was thinking a bit about Picard and some of its issues, and I think Patrick Stewart is the biggest problem.

I remember watching the Mr Plinkett reviews of the Next Gen films and he pointed out, correctly, that Picard is a completely different character. 

He'd become an action hero, fucking around with a vest on and driving dune buggies, leading an armed insurgency and the likes. He'd been agitating for more action in the final couple of seasons too, even though that wasn't how the character was written.

I think Stewart essentially thinks Star Trek is a load of old bollocks. The producers came to him cap in hand and gave him everything he wanted. 

He wanted a dark future, no uniform, no next gen characters (at first), and now to film in LA, a producer credit and no doubt a shed load of money. 

He doesn't care for the material though IMO, or the character.

I think Stewart had a lot more 'creative' input on TNG and the films than people think. It cant be a co incidence that numerous British actors made small one off cameo appearances in TNG especially as they were probably unheard of in US tv circles.

I also think it's unlikely anyone in the US would dream up describing Worf's reactivated puberty in ST:Insurrection, Jah Da Lah aka, 'Jack the lad,' a purely British expression, either!

Fully caught up with Picard now and just like last season my initial hopes that this could be decent have seemingly been dashed.

spoilers

They are just trying to shoe horn old characters / actors back in to cash in on the nostalgia - none of it makes sense.

I’m also getting a bit annoyed that every character in the past having to be an ancestor of one in the ST universe. why couldn’t Renee been anything other than a Picard. It wouldn’t change the story at all.

Same with Soong. Why not create a new character, Why reuse the actress that plays soji? why is orla brady the romulan and the watcher? Just hire some different actors because they are now going to have to explain it and it won’t be satisfying unless it’s all been Picards dream and if they don’t explain it then they really dont care.

I know it’s sci fi and I’m supposed to suspend belief but why is the tech of 2024 so much more advanced than 2022?

if I’ve missed something obvious then by all means point it out. 

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

I’m a bit confused by this weeks episode of Picard. How can a man in a synthetic body have a coronary event? Did I miss something? Is his heart now real? 

It was detailed at the end of last season. It was the ‘he’s dead, no he’s not, but he’s as old as before and everything is the same’ they pulled. It was dogshit. Parts of this latest episode were okay, but the story is just weak and throw away. 

4 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Fully caught up with Picard now and just like last season my initial hopes that this could be decent have seemingly been dashed.

spoilers

They are just trying to shoe horn old characters / actors back in to cash in on the nostalgia - none of it makes sense.

I’m also getting a bit annoyed that every character in the past having to be an ancestor of one in the ST universe. why couldn’t Renee been anything other than a Picard. It wouldn’t change the story at all.

Same with Soong. Why not create a new character, Why reuse the actress that plays soji? why is orla brady the romulan and the watcher? Just hire some different actors because they are now going to have to explain it and it won’t be satisfying unless it’s all been Picards dream and if they don’t explain it then they really dont care.

I know it’s sci fi and I’m supposed to suspend belief but why is the tech of 2024 so much more advanced than 2022?

if I’ve missed something obvious then by all means point it out. 

Yeah, it’s silly. 

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

I’m a bit confused by this weeks episode of Picard. How can a man in a synthetic body have a coronary event? Did I miss something? Is his heart now real? 

Yep this got me too. Also why did they go the Latina doctor surely in an emergency they’ed go to the nearest hospital or go back to the ship. I mean they have transporters ffs.

It’s like the writers can’t be arsed. New trek reminds me of GOT when the show runners ran out of material from GRRM. Yeah it’s set in the same universe but they’ve stripped all the good bits that make trek because it’s too much hard work and are just living off the name while sprinkling in some old references to say “see, we care about the legacy fans”.

That’s what I guess we are now “legacy” fans to be milked and now they want some newer audiences who perhaps prefer flashing lights and smart quips.

7 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It was detailed at the end of last season. It was the ‘he’s dead, no he’s not, but he’s as old as before and everything is the same’ they pulled. It was dogshit. Parts of this latest episode were okay, but the story is just weak and throw away. 

I recall the he’s an android but not really silliness of last year. Didn’t realise he now had a ‘real’ heart.  

Every episode of new trek is like a parody. Which is weird as the Orville which is a parody is much more like Star Trek than Star Trek now.

I appreciate I’m ranting on this thread but I’ve watched 3 episodes today and tbh I’m just baffled that it could be this bad and need to vent. I was hoping each one would get better but it didn’t. 

I don't even think I'll bother watching this week's episode, the preview looked shite, like ocean's 11 but instead of robbing money they're trying to stop someone depressing Picard's aunty.

It's absolutely all over the fucking shop, like it's written by about 50 people. The ice/sanctuary stuff, then the Q stuff, then the astronaut stuff, then the Soong genetics stuff with still absolutely no idea how any of it relates to the other. 

It's like a giant woke blender where Patrick Stewart and a few others have had an ideas shower about stuff that they want to get off their chest.

Ice, immigration laws, trump's America, homelessness, black lives matter, the environment.

Story and characterization be damned.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I don't even think I'll bother watching this week's episode, the preview looked shite, like ocean's 11 but instead of robbing money they're trying to stop someone depressing Picard's aunty.

It's absolutely all over the fucking shop, like it's written by about 50 people. The ice/sanctuary stuff, then the Q stuff, then the astronaut stuff, then the Soong genetics stuff with still absolutely no idea how any of it relates to the other. 

It's like a giant woke blender where Patrick Stewart and a few others have had an idea's shower about stuff that they hate.

Ice, immigration laws, trump's America, homelessness, black lives matter, the environment.

Story and characterization be damned.

Obviously I havent seen any of this but, it's depressing what they have done with our 'Trek' since the TNG films finished.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Obviously I havent seen any of this but, it's depressing what they have done with our 'Trek' since the TNG films finished.

I saw it described as Star trek for people who don't like star trek written by people who've never seen star trek.

Hard to disagree, Abrams and his spawn Kurtzman have both said in the past that they're more into star wars.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I saw it described as Star trek for people who don't like star trek written by people who've never seen star trek.

Hard to disagree, Abrams and his spawn Kurtzman have both said in the past that they're more into star wars.

Why would you hire someone who openly says they prefer the very thing that is the antithesis of Star Trek in the sci fi world?

fuck it i’m off to watch a Garak episode.

20 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Time will tell!

318D2A39-3101-406B-87F2-5DEC2A520D15.jpeg

• Upvote 2

It's awful. Can't believe I got my hopes up after the excellent opening episode. The writers of this series have lost the fucking plot. I have no idea why this is even a "Star Trek" show. Just change a few of the characters and it can be just any other random lame sci-fi show you find on Netflix. It has no resemblance to Star Trek as we know it.

17 hours ago, JagSquared said:

And yet I prefer it the shite that’s been served up on STD and Picard.

im getting worried about SNW. 

Not sure why, to be honest. SNW is written by and directed by somebody else with a different focus. It's clear their objective is to make 'different' types of Trek for different people. I'm not sure that's the right approach overall (it'd be easy to just say 'no, make the type I want') but SNW looks to be the one aimed at me. What I think helps is if people stop looking for tiny, tiny little things and then dismissing any good things that are in there. If we did that with TNG or DS9 it would be dismissed as nonsense immediately. It's the danger of making new episodes of an old show, where people were younger and loved it but forgot all the shit bits. It's like remaking Goldeneye from the N64. In my mind, that was photorealistic brilliance. Nothing can stack up to my inaccurate memory. My point being, if we approach SNW with a mindset that we will pick up any little thing that we don't think is right, it'll be doomed to failure. I do hope the main drive is character and story rather than just a political message. Political messages have always been in Trek, but not as the single driving force. 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Not sure why, to be honest. SNW is written by and directed by somebody else with a different focus. It's clear their objective is to make 'different' types of Trek for different people. I'm not sure that's the right approach overall (it'd be easy to just say 'no, make the type I want') but SNW looks to be the one aimed at me. What I think helps is if people stop looking for tiny, tiny little things and then dismissing any good things that are in there. If we did that with TNG or DS9 it would be dismissed as nonsense immediately. It's the danger of making new episodes of an old show, where people were younger and loved it but forgot all the shit bits. It's like remaking Goldeneye from the N64. In my mind, that was photorealistic brilliance. Nothing can stack up to my inaccurate memory. My point being, if we approach SNW with a mindset that we will pick up any little thing that we don't think is right, it'll be doomed to failure. I do hope the main drive is character and story rather than just a political message. Political messages have always been in Trek, but not as the single driving force. 

so I should just be more optimistic and quit moaning? I am still looking forward to SNW but the tripe served up in new trek has been laughably bad, so I’m not that hopeful. Yes it could be good but based on the 

Also it’s not picking at little things or tiny details it’s the fact that the shows have been fundamentally flawed, with bad writing, bad story telling and bad directing as has been discussed to death on this thread by numerous people.

3 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

so I should just be more optimistic and quit moaning?

Nah, you can do whatever you want. Your views and opinions on something don't impact me and my enjoyment of something at all. I'm saying those who want to enjoy it - and many quite clearly do not, because it's not a remake of TNG - should try not to lose their shit over little details on SNW. Just like they did with TNG or DS9 which was quite often plagued with bad writing, bad story telling, bad directing, and bad acting. The difference is, that didn't bother them because they weren't looking to rip something apart before it starts. 

As for your 'discussed by numerous people', it's been discussed by many, many more than that in other places. Some hate it, some absolutely fucking love it, think it's brilliantly written (which, in my view, it is not), wonderfully acted (some and some), and superbly directed (which, for the most part, it actually is). Discovery, which has fallen from potentially very good to absolutely dire has gone way up in the ratings of some people. This is what I was talking about when I said it's clearly being aimed at different people. 

The thing is you can forgive the odd episode being bad like on TNG and DS9 but it’s another thing to have a whole season is bad like STD S3. 

You might not be that worried about what I think but you certainly spend a lot of time trying to tell me why you think I’m wrong.

• Upvote 1