You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Ive mixed opinions on Archer. I can understand a degree of his personality change from idealistic explorer to out and out revenge merchant but, he does kind of go full pyscho in the fight to stop the Xindi weapon.

I fuckin' loved that. It showed how a good man can turn bad if you push him far enough. 

• Upvote 1

The women in Trek is something the show has always done well. Lots of strong women, Shelby, Kira, Ro, Dax, Torres, Janeway, Uhura, Number 1. But they were always written in context, they still weren't perfect.

Contrast that to Discovery and Picard. The latter of which is bitch fights agogo, all senior staff are women, Picard is demeaned by them and the men mainly hang around them and the romulan lads are both part of female only orders (the Jad Vash or whatever the fucks and those daft nuns, plus that ninja lad is alway crying, as did Hugh).

Sure you've noticed but there's a shot of the next season of discovery having an all female bridge crew. Subtle. If you say it's shit it'll be because you can't handle strong women, women of colour, women who cry or chubby women.

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I loved it, I'd held off watching it as I'd felt at the time Trek needed to lie fallow for a bit, but I watched it early last year and it was like finding buried treasure, 'real' Trek, optimism, fun, adventure. 

Same. And I've never gotten round to watching it. It's the only one I haven't seen.

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Who are people's favourite ever Trek character? It's hard but it's got to be Data for me. Watching TNG again Spiner is just perfect in it. 

I Tweeted him once asking if he'd  like to take part in a magazine interview on androids in fiction (was gonna try and get Robert Llewellyn and a few others) and he DMd me saying 'Hi, I literally can't think of anything I'd rather do less." Fair play! 

That's ace!

Favourite character has to be Picard, with Data and Worf in the conversation. I had a massive thing for Janeway back in the day but then I saw her in Orange is the New Black and it was something of a shock to the system. *shudders*

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, dave u said:

Same. And I've never gotten round to watching it. It's the only one I haven't seen.

That's ace!

Favourite character has to be Picard, with Data and Worf in the conversation. I had a massive thing for Janeway back in the day but then I saw her in Orange is the New Black and it was something of a shock to the system. *shudders*

Yeah those three are deffo my top, Data, Worf then Picard. The stuff between Picard and Worf during the Klingon civil war was class, when Worf is told to kill the Duras kid but he looks at Picard and chooses not to and Picard subtly nods approvingly. 

"Good day ladies...." Magnificent. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Kira, especially as she looks in that video above.

She got knocked up by Alexander Sidig in real life, when she gets 'pregnant' in the show by having to take the O'Briens' baby there's an in joke where her and Bashir are in the lift and she says 'this is your fault' and he's like 'how is it my fault?'

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah those three are deffo my top, Data, Worf then Picard. The stuff between Picard and Worf during the Klingon civil war was class, when Worf is told to kill the Duras kid but he looks at Picard and chooses not to and Picard subtly nods approvingly. 

"Good day ladies...." Magnificent. 

Id love to find out if Id survive a rumble with those 2 Klingons. If Nelix can survive one, Id be up for the challenge!

Garak for me, his whole story is amazing and I loved his unwavering sense of duty to the cardassian people. He’s done some horrible things but it was always justified in his head. the relationship with his father Enabran Tain explained a lot. Such a deep complex character. 

main characters wise I liked Miles, just you’re Everyman who gets shafted a lot. He was grumpy, loyal and smart who worked his way up. I also really liked Pike in the limited times we’ve seen him too. 

there’s been so many strong female characters too I loved Janeway was a great captain, sevens development was great but she was over used at times. I also loved Dax The idea of a being with lifetimes of experiences is fascinating. 

• Upvote 1

Gates McFadden is lovely on Twitter, very responsive, especially after she'd tweeted she was off to Amsterdam and I told her about the cheese museum there. 

Another thing about Star trek shows is that they're ensemble casts with really interesting backstories. McFadden had lived in Paris as a dancer, I think Brent Spiner had been a stand up comic at some point.

You can tell why people like this love being around each other, you probably go your whole life working in offices, as a removals man or whatever, and then you get your break and get to be around people like you who just want to act and fuck around on set all day, talk about a show you've seen or a gig your mate produced. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Gates McFadden is lovely on Twitter, very responsive, especially after she'd tweeted she was off to Amsterdam and I told her about the cheese museum there. 

Another thing about Star trek shows is that they're ensemble casts with really interesting backstories. McFadden had lived in Paris as a dancer, I think Brent Spiner had been a stand up comic at some point.

You can tell why people like this love being around each other, you probably go your whole life working in offices, as a removals man or whatever, and then you get your break and get to be around people like you who just want to act and fuck around on set all day, talk about a show you've seen or a gig your mate produced. 

Gates is indeed a very lovely lady. 

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Didn't Gates work on the Muppet show?