You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

On 04/02/2021 at 11:24, JagSquared said:

Just watched lower decks and enjoyed it for what it is, it’s a comedy set in a Star Trek universe but it’s not really Trek in the traditional sense. Lots of good references for fans, interesting concept too and overall an easy watching affair.  

Still not watched past episode 6 of discovery. I really should just get it out of the way.

I am surprised to find I enjoyed Lower Decks much more than I thought I would - there are some very clever jokes and references even for the casual trekkie.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Red Shift said:

He may get his own thread. Hope so.

RIP Christopher Plummer. You were always one of my favourite actors. The gravitas you brought to every role, is to be marvelled at.

”Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!!”

Love this scene and David Warner has such a brilliant voice....I guess not many actors can play a Klingon and a Cardassian and get away with it 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Red Shift said:

He may get his own thread. Hope so.

RIP Christopher Plummer. You were always one of my favourite actors. The gravitas you brought to every role, is to be marvelled at.

”Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!!”

My favourite Shakespeare reciting Klingon. May Kahless guide you on your  journey to Stovokor!

• Upvote 1

On 05/02/2021 at 22:08, mars said:

I am surprised to find I enjoyed Lower Decks much more than I thought I would - there are some very clever jokes and references even for the casual trekkie.

Yeah it's quite good despite my initial horror at the concept of this show. It's a parody of Star Trek filled with references to the other shows and isn't meant to be taken seriously, so I can enjoy it for what it is. Unlike Picard and Discovery which are supposed to serious and canon, two series I find far more objectionable.

Finally Finished off discovery and I completely get the criticism. They really fucked a really interesting concept with the burn and fall of the federation in quite a few ways. 

I appreciate I may be retreading old ground in this thread but I was mindful not to read posts on discovery as I didn’t want to spoil it. 

Not only did they end up with a really poor reason for the burn (literally anything could have been better) but they then reset what made the universe interesting by making sure it couldn’t happen again and also finding a huge source of dilithium. Also how did no one in universe think to triangulate the cause of the burn until Michael came up with the solution (again).

It still had some good elements as a season. I quite liked the emerald chain and how Ni’var were set up and exploring those worlds / cultures a little more. 

Character wise Saru is still the best thing in it. The new trill was painful ham fisted way of adding more wokeness in a world where that wouldn’t matter. Phillipas tearful goodbye was bewildering as she was literally a pain in the ass to most of the crew so why would they care?

1 minute ago, JagSquared said:

Finally Finished off discovery and I completely get the criticism. They really fucked a really interesting concept with the burn and fall of the federation in quite a few ways. 

I appreciate I may be retreading old ground in this thread but I was mindful not to read posts on discovery as I didn’t want to spoil it. 

Not only did they end up with a really poor reason for the burn (literally anything could have been better) but they then reset what made the universe interesting by making sure it couldn’t happen again and also finding a huge source of dilithium. Also how did no one in universe think to triangulate the cause of the burn until Michael came up with the solution (again).

It still had some good elements as a season. I quite liked the emerald chain and how Ni’var were set up and exploring those worlds / cultures a little more. 

Character wise Saru is still the best thing in it. The new trill was painful ham fisted way of adding more wokeness in a world where that wouldn’t matter. Phillipas tearful goodbye was bewildering as she was literally a pain in the ass to most of the crew so why would they care?

Saru is boss and the only real Trek charcter in it for my money, he'd fit comfortably into any of the other casts. 

The problem is, and a few people have touched on this, Discovery was never meant to be an ensemble show like the others, it was supposed to centre around Burnham and a couple of other strong characters played by good actors (Isaacs, Mount) when you take them away, you've basically got glorified extras. The chinese bloke, the black fella, the two birds at the front - I don't know any of their names still after three years (except Demper as she's fit) but couldn't begin to describe them to anyone, they're no Sulu, Data, Kira that's for sure. 

I also felt they dealt with major events in throwaway style. I was watching Reunification the other day and it's a work of art, absolutely brimming with great writing, a sense of history and politics and backstory. 

Then in Discovery they're just like 'yeah the Romulans and Vulcans are mates again, they changed the name of their planet, and your mum has turned into one. WHAT'S THE FUCKING PROBLEM!!!' 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Saru is boss and the only real Trek charcter in it for my money, he'd fit comfortably into any of the other casts. 

The problem is, and a few people have touched on this, Discovery was never meant to be an ensemble show like the others, it was supposed to centre around Burnham and a couple of other strong characters played by good actors (Isaacs, Mount) when you take them away, you've basically got glorified extras. The chinese bloke, the black fella, the two birds at the front - I don't know any of their names still after three years (except Demper as she's fit) but couldn't begin to describe them to anyone, they're no Sulu, Data, Kira that's for sure. 

I also felt they dealt with major events in throwaway style. I was watching Reunification the other day and it's a work of art, absolutely brimming with great writing, a sense of history and politics and backstory. 

Then in Discovery they're just like 'yeah the Romulans and Vulcans are mates again, they changed the name of their planet, and your mum has turned into one. WHAT'S THE FUCKING PROBLEM!!!' 

100% agree with all of this. 

Ha what was the point in having Michael’s mum pop up in the future as a Warrior nun?

I don’t mind them not explaining too much at the time but they could have delved into it later as surely the discovery crew would have had questions. Instead they favour overly long action sequences that serve no purpose like the turbo lift fight in the finale in what seemed to be a tardis that thing was massive - where are they hiding that in the ship?

I completely agree with the other crew members I don’t know their names either so when they are in danger they are just another red shirt to me. 

they have put all their stock into Michael and it’s a real pain as she could have been interesting but I don’t want everything to revolve around her. You may as well if had her flying around in books ship on her own. 

had to laugh when despite consistently breaking rules and disobeying orders she got promoted to captain. What a mess.

Discovery was first conceived as an anthology show so it's even more throwaway as the premise would change year on year. When Fuller left that idea was shelved but Michael's character remained.

I haven't watched the final episode of Discovery, it's there lurking on Netflix and I can't face it's crapness.

Agree on Saru, he'd fit in on any show.

Watched DS9 instead and Kira's trying to get an old fella to leave his farm and he won't go. Now THAT'S Star Trek.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Tremendous. 

And this is why TNG remains and forever shall be my favourite Trek.  The current writers could never ever come up with something like this. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Robert O'Reilly as Gowron, unreal. One of the things about Trek, especially DS9, it just had tonnes and tonnes of top drawer characters and actors. 

His eyes always freak my out. 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

His eyes always freak my out. 

Some of the Klingon actors were class, Kurn and Martok especially, consider too the weight of the makeup they were under. Michael Dorn used to wear a tampon on his forehead apparently to soak up all the sweat. 

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Some of the Klingon actors were class, Kurn and Martok especially, consider too the weight of the makeup they were under. Michael Dorn used to wear a tampon on his forehead apparently to soak up all the sweat. 

Gen Martok is possibly my favourite Klingon ever after Gen Chang. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Gowron was an absolute despot \ loon but a fascinating Klingon character. I actually like Kor from TOS and DSN especially when he said Kirk and he were 'alike' and in different circumstance, would be bezzie mates.

Kor?  He was played by the same fella who played Baltar in the 70's BSG.   Agreed, he was a fantastic character as was Gowron. 

The currently Klingons (from Discovery etc) are shite. 

• Upvote 1