You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

33 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Like I say I’m about 4 behind. I just can’t see it getting much better 3 seasons in. I’ll finish it at some point but honestly I’m just waiting for Strange New Worlds.

I’ve been rewatching DS9 and it’s superior to discovery in every way. 

I dislike DS9, so we won’t ever agree there. It’s my least favourite Trek. I hate most of the characters and the Captain is a ducking deity. Honestly, I can’t stand it. DS9, removing the ‘Trek’ from Start Trek since... 

27 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Who is "most"? 

I haven't spoken to anyone or seen anything positive online about it at all. I'd be very wary of access media reviews and Internet rankings. 

I’m part of the biggest Trek community. Those who ripped on S1&2 are liking this. I never got the widespread hatred of S1. I liked it. 

• 2 weeks later...

This series of Discovery has been absolutely dire. It's turned into everything that the haters said it was years ago, but which I didn't think it was at the time, just a lazy vessel for woke culture. There are no white, straight men in the show at all, which seems to have been done by design (raising this presumably would make you a bigot), the non binary and transgender characters are the worst actors I've ever seen, (one is a super genius of course). All authority figures, hero or villain, on every planet, are women. 

Making tilly first officer is just nonsensical, it's fan fiction material. All they all ever fucking do is cry and hug each other. 

Remember Kirk struggling to hold it together when he fired Spock into space? That's how quasi-military folks roll. 

"That's the power of math people"

"I like science"

"I like me"

39269089.jpg

I’m hoping these last five episodes go back to the controversial, edgier stuff from before. I liked the first episode of the season. I like Book. The idea of the Burn could be good, but it depends how it plays out. The idea of it linking up with Calypso,m is exciting. Largely it is missing the mark at the moment. They have changed Burnham to appease people, the Tilly to XO is beyond pathetic. 

3 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

I’ve still not got past episode 2 of the new series. I’m spending 10 days with the in laws who don’t speak the same language as me over Christmas so was saving it for then, guessing I shouldn’t bother?

The first two series are great, I'd definitely give it a watch. It's all gone to shit now though.

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

Discovery has been shocking this season. Not that it was great in the previous seasons but it's plummeted to new depths of shite. This season of Discovery has been as bad as the Picard series.

It's the lack of care for the material that astounds me. They just gloss over things which have been established in cannon because they don't care. Bear in mind this is a franchise that used to have actual science departments. 

The level of plagiarism is off the scale too. The exploding heads thing was a rip off the running man, the weird music and the nebula is a rip off battlestar galactica, as was the opening scene of this series. I'm not a gamer but lots of people have said the plot of Picard was a rip off Mass Effect 2. 

Sadly, I think they just shovel any old shite out and put the star trek name on it so they can exploit brand loyalty, they did the same with ghostbusters, then if you call it shite you get told it's because you're sexist, homophobic etc. 

Ironically, despite being under the guise of progressive it's actually regressive. They had a female captain 25 years ago and she was well rounded and authoritative with flaws, wants, fears and desires. 

If Janeway was in Discovery she'd be "bad ass", definitely a lesbian, an expert in all forms of combat and a genius. That's because to not write her so, would be sexist.

• Upvote 2

As Section said, the crew of the Discovery are more like a high school/academy class in space rather than the elite crew of a highly classified vessel. The non-binary character was like a juddering handbrake, just call them 'they' without saying why, it's over a thousand years in the future, Billions wasn't this ham-fisted with Taylor.

Another problem they've got, and I don't know how they've backed themselves into such a corner, is most of the remaining actors are shit. 

When they launched the show it was clearly mainly supposed to centre on Burnham rather than an ensemble cast like the other shows (fair enough) but there was a core of interesting characters and good actors around her. Isaacs is a class actor and Lorca was boss, Mount likewise a great actor and Pike a brilliant character, Ash was good, there was also Doug Jones who's incredible - and IMO the only character from the show who could hold his own in a gathering of Star Trek's best ever characters. Beyond that though they're all glorified extras. Tilly and Stammets are okay, the rest of the bridge crew though are neither here nor there, literally extras, if it was the original series they'd all be wearing red shirts. 

Tell you something though, it makes you appreciate what a monumental act of collaborative creativity the older shows were, especially TNG and DS9. These guys were churning out 22 episodes a season at one point rather than nine or 10, most of them brilliantly written, tirelessly researched and accurate within the confines of a long-established world. 

Watch an episode like Yesterday's Enterprise and compare it to this absolute bilge, it's like a study in how far a franchise can decline. 

• Upvote 1

I think there are episodes from DSC are comparable to really good episodes from TNG (which, btw, had many absolute stinkers). I do think the show is poorer for not having Pike, Spock, and Lorca, though I really like Book, Burnham, Culber, Reno, and this new character played by David Cronenberg might be the best camo in Trek history. His debrief scene was excellent, and the scene from the upcoming episode which mentioned the Kelvin timeline is boss too. Tilly and Adira need to be air-locked.

The lack of good characters (my opinion anyway) is definitely the biggest weakness. There is no redeeming character this season in Discovery. What made season 1 bearable was the presence of Lorca, and such a shame he turned out to be just another straight-up bad dude at the end. Likewise season 2 had the excellent Pike. Saru is good but that is it for me. The doctor is OK too. The rest, I would not care less if they were all killed off. I don't even know the names of the bridge crew. That would be unthinkable with TNG, DS9, Voyager, TOS since the bridge officers are all key characters. Discovery is just about Burnham, and that's a problem for me since the character is rubbish.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Baltar said:

The lack of good characters (my opinion anyway) is definitely the biggest weakness. There is no redeeming character this season in Discovery. What made season 1 bearable was the presence of Lorca, and such a shame he turned out to be just another straight-up bad dude at the end. Likewise season 2 had the excellent Pike. Saru is good but that is it for me. The doctor is OK too. The rest, I would not care less if they were all killed off. I don't even know the names of the bridge crew. That would be unthinkable with TNG, DS9, Voyager, TOS since the bridge officers are all key characters. Discovery is just about Burnham, and that's a problem for me since the character is rubbish.

It was the same with Picard, hand on heart I couldn't tell you a single character's name. Evil Romulan twin bird, not as evil Romulan bloke, Latino captain who smokes cigars and likes football and dressed like a pimp (fucking cringe, that's how Alf Garnet would write a diverse character if you put a gun to his head). Agnes was the science bird I think? And that other woman from the Punisher who smokes spliffs. And that admiral who swears a lot. 

When you look at DS9 for instance, I reckon it had about 30 characters in it, some of them were hardly in it but had incredible depth, Tain, Weyoun, Damar, Dukat, Shakar, Garak, the list just goes on and on. 

20 minutes ago, Numero said:

Rubbish? I see things so differently. I think she’s an exceptional character with lots of complexity in the subtext of her personality. 

Hope Strange New Worlds is good though. Pike went straight to the top of the Captains pile for me. 

I really hope Strange New World is boss. Pike is great, and Jason Isaacs wouldn't comment when asked if prime universe Lorca would be in it, which would be brilliant. 

I can't be arsed with the S31 series, but it seems they're set on it - which is why they've had to find a way to get Georgiou back in time again (it's almost like they didn't think of it at the end of the last series). 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I really hope Strange New World is boss. Pike is great, and Jason Isaacs wouldn't comment when asked if prime universe Lorca would be in it, which would be brilliant. 

I can't be arsed with the S31 series, but it seems they're set on it - which is why they've had to find a way to get Georgiou back in time again (it's almost like they didn't think of it at the end of the last series). 

I was so against the S31 series but if they can somehow get Cronenberg in on it, then I’d change my mind. Probably wouldn’t but he was so fucking cool. 

Pike series is going back to TOS/TNG style. It’ll be interesting how it works. One of the downfalls of this season of DSC is how episodic it has been. They’ve tried to appease fans and it has fucked up. 

5 hours ago, Numero said:

Rubbish? I see things so differently. I think she’s an exceptional character with lots of complexity in the subtext of her personality. 

I don't like Mary Sue-type characters and Burnham definitely is one. Always the one to find the solution, al the ideas come from her and she saves the day all the time. On top of that she is always crying, how does an emotional wreck like her always knows what best to do? I don't like how they have shoehorned her into Spock's history either, so cheaply giving her Star Trek "royalty" status by default. For someone raised on Vulcan she has a poor grasp of her emotions.

Star Trek series never had one hero at the centre of it all. It was always a team effort most of the time. Burnham is a one-woman band and the series is a one-woman show.