You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

14 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Sorry mate, I didn’t mean to piss on anyone’s chips. I know so people really like it. Lucky buggers. 

No chips pissed on. I'm a big boy now and understand not everyone likes the same thing. 

I think I watched the first season at the same time I did Discovery (which I didn't enjoy at all) but felt comforted by something similar to Trek I know & love. 

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

No chips pissed on. I'm a big boy now and understand not everyone likes the same thing. 

I think I watched the first season at the same time I did Discovery (which I didn't enjoy at all) but felt comforted by something similar to Trek I know & love. 

Yeah, I’ve heard that before. To me, it couldn’t be less like actual Trek. It’s like some parody. Not up my street at all. 

Just watched a  Star Trek TNG episode (The Perfect Mate) on The Horror Channel and fuck me how incredibly sexy was Famke Janssen ? Still easily the best Bond girl too in my opinion 

if you’re lucky you can see it on catch up....I know I am

MV5BNmI4YjM2NDQtYzVlYS00MmY2LThjZDItZDBm

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah she was outrageous, Trek always had its fair share of top class poon. Ezri was always a favourite. 

350?cb=20200609080506&path-prefix=en

And of course the queen, Troi. 

IgDOLK4.gif

Troi was absolutely stunning and a former squeeze of Graeme Souness ...Jammy git 

@Marina_Sirtis
Watching my teen boyfriend Graeme Souness on Sky News. Ah memories!

Alex Datcher off Passenger 57 was another cracker on the bridge

latest?cb=20141207193857&path-prefix=en

31 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Just watched a  Star Trek TNG episode (The Perfect Mate) on The Horror Channel and fuck me how incredibly sexy was Famke Janssen ? Still easily the best Bond girl too in my opinion 

if you’re lucky you can see it on catch up....I know I am

MV5BNmI4YjM2NDQtYzVlYS00MmY2LThjZDItZDBm

I watched that episode (again!) last night. Famke certainly is lovely. 

Marina certainly is lovely and has aged very well. What shocked me though was her cocker knee accent and love for Spurs when I met her. 

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

Troi was absolutely stunning and a former squeeze of Graeme Souness ...Jammy git 

@Marina_Sirtis
Watching my teen boyfriend Graeme Souness on Sky News. Ah memories!

Alex Datcher off Passenger 57 was another cracker on the bridge

latest?cb=20141207193857&path-prefix=en

I had to google the veracity of that and it gets weirder she was with Joe Kinnear before our Graeme. 

what an odd love triangle.

What are peoples opinions on 'Enterprise'?

I only really watched the first season, then I lost my Sky TV (Moved into my own place and couldn't afford it for a while).  Is it worth a re-watch as we now have Netflix? 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I only really watched the first season, then I lost my Sky TV (Moved into my own place and couldn't afford it for a while).  Is it worth a re-watch as we now have Netflix? 

It's one of my favourite Treks. I have only watched it twice through, but I really like it. It deserves the full 7 for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

It's one of my favourite Treks. I have only watched it twice through, but I really like it. It deserves the full 7 for sure. 

Probably give it go sometime then. Scott Bakula is a favourite actor of mine (love Quantum Leap) so it's worth it for him alone. Then of course there's Tpol & Hoshi. 

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

When it first came out I couldn't be arsed watching it because I just felt the formula was stale. Berman and Braga attached too, and I just thoght it felt like they'd rushed something out to fill the Voyager void. 

But I watched it during lockdown in about two weeks and it was like finding buried treasure. Genuine Trek about positive futures, some great characters and actors, really liked Archer, Tucker and Phlox, plus some really good stories that play a big part of trek history.

Space feels a whole lot bigger too. No starfleet around really, no starbases, no subspace coms and they get their arse handed to them in firefights repeatedly.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Ha didn't realise that was her, there were quite a few cameos from actors 

Mick Fleetwood 

350?cb=20121126173006&path-prefix=en

Is that the famous episode that starred Samantha Fox as well ?

tmsaltvampire.jpg

Ashley Judd was also was in the Next Generation and was in a cracking episode called The Game 

latest?cb=20190827114912&path-prefix=en

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

When it first came out I couldn't be arsed watching it because I just felt the formula was stale. Berman and Braga attached too, and I just thoght it felt like they'd rushed something out to fill the Voyager void. 

But I watched it during lockdown in about two weeks and it was like finding buried treasure. Genuine Trek about positive futures, some great characters and actors, really liked Archer, Tucker and Phlox, plus some really good stories that play a big part of trek history.

Space feels a whole lot bigger too. No starfleet around really, no starbases, no subspace coms and they get their arse handed to them in firefights repeatedly.

pretty much 100% the same for me but I watched it back a couple of years of back and really liked it particularly phlox and shran focussed episodes.

On 21/10/2020 at 11:42, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Nah. Release order is this, followed by in universe order. 

The Original Series

The Animated Series

The Next Generation

Deep Space 9*

Voyager*

Enterprise

Discovery**

Picard**

Lower Decks**

Chronology

Enterprise

Discovery (S1-2)

The Original Series

The Animated Series

The Next Generation

Deep Space 9*

Voyager*

Lower Decks

Picard

Discovery (S3)

*Overlaps. 
** Currently airing

Note: that’s without the movies or The Cage pilot. 

Upcoming: Strange New Worlds is directly after Discovery S2 in Chronology. Prodigy is an upcoming animated show, and there’s a Section 31 show that needs to be dropped into a very deep, very dark pit. 

Christ, that's a lot of delving... 

The proposed Section 31 show intrigues me for a number of reasons.

1. They're looking to make a show on something that appeared in a handful of DS9 episodes and only really featured one character. Not the best way to create a show.

2. Whilst DS9 version of S31 (well Sloan) was interesting S31 itself goes against Roddenberry's original ethos of Trek (Yes other shows have gone dark but not S31 dark).

3. They appear to be making the mistakes of the past and flooding the market with Trek.

So I agree this idea should be dropped into the deepest darkest hole, never to be seen again.  I generally want my Trek to be positive and suggesting a better future for all.  The actual world is dark and fucked up enough. 

I don't really agree much with that, other than dropping it into a big dark hold. 

1. S31 has features heavily in DSC and a little bit in ENT. 

2. I don't think show's should worry too much about Roddenberry's original ethos of Trek. 

3. Not sure they have ever really flooded the market in the past. They had two shows running at one time before. Now they're running several shows but all with a different ethos. And it's the streaming era. Also, it seems to be doing unbelievably well for them. We currently have three shows. DSC is, in my view, excellent. Some people who don't like DSC love Lower Decks. I think LDS is fun but it's a love letter more than it's own thing, at least to the final three episodes. 

I want to see variety in Trek. Not just utopia. SNW and LDS have positivity covered anyway. 

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

The proposed Section 31 show intrigues me for a number of reasons.

1. They're looking to make a show on something that appeared in a handful of DS9 episodes and only really featured one character. Not the best way to create a show.

2. Whilst DS9 version of S31 (well Sloan) was interesting S31 itself goes against Roddenberry's original ethos of Trek (Yes other shows have gone dark but not S31 dark).

3. They appear to be making the mistakes of the past and flooding the market with Trek.

So I agree this idea should be dropped into the deepest darkest hole, never to be seen again.  I generally want my Trek to be positive and suggesting a better future for all.  The actual world is dark and fucked up enough. 

I liked Leyland's character in Discovery and the idea of Control, the supercomputer, thought that was pretty cool. 

What made S31 a boss concept in DS9 was the subtlety and the questions it made you ask. There's a boss line when Sloan, the brilliant William Saddler, says to Bashir:

"It's an honour to know you Doctor, the Federation needs men like you, men of principle, men who can sleep at night. But you're also  the reason Section 31 exists. Someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong."

Just brilliant. 

The way they were depicted in Discovery though was a bit OTT, they had their own ships with stealth tech, black uniforms and jack boots, invasive mind probes that were gonna basically labotomise Spock. Seemed a bit on the nose really for a society that was still at that time, founded on peace and brotherly love. They possibly could have made more of a deal of the Klingon war and how close that saw the Federation going out forever prompting them to invest more time and resources in that kind of shady shit perhaps. 

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I liked Leyland's character in Discovery and the idea of Control, the supercomputer, thought that was pretty cool. 

What made S31 a boss concept in DS9 was the subtlety and the questions it made you ask. There's a boss line when Sloan, the brilliant William Saddler, says to Bashir:

"It's an honour to know you Doctor, the Federation needs men like you, men of principle, men who can sleep at night. But you're also  the reason Section 31 exists. Someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong."

Just brilliant. 

The way they were depicted in Discovery though was a bit OTT, they had their own ships with stealth tech, black uniforms and jack boots, invasive mind probes that were gonna basically labotomise Spock. Seemed a bit on the nose really for a society that was still at that time, founded on peace and brotherly love. They possibly could have made more of a deal of the Klingon war and how close that saw the Federation going out forever prompting them to invest more time and resources in that kind of shady shit perhaps. 

Sloan was a great character (William Sadler was brilliant in the role) & I enjoyed Leland. I'm just not sure personally we need a whole series on them. Keeping them on the periphery and using them sparingly like DS9 used them would suit me. 

Oh and I read whole Sloan speech in my head as Sloan did.