You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

14 hours ago, Numero said:

Later Voyager is great, I reckon. 

Voyager like DS9 improves dramatically from season 4 onwards.  Never really watched Enterprise. May have to give it a go as Scott Bakula is a favourite actor of mine.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Voyager like DS9 improves dramatically from season 4 onwards.  Never really watched Enterprise. May have to give it a go as Scott Bakula is a favourite actor of mine.

Totally agree on Voyager. It’s nice that weird hobbit/pixie - Kes - fucks off and Seven comes into it, it’s great. The Doctor is probably my favourite character in Trek. 

As for Enterprise, I recently finished it. It’s great. Shame they didn’t get a final season. 

I thought Voyager was the weak link to be honest. Both TNG and DS9 started weak and got better around the third seasons, I always hoped the same would happen with Voyager but it never quite clicked IMO.

Ron Moore made a good point in that the premise was sound, a ship stranded that would run out of fuel and weapons and shuttles, have battle damage and would be forced to compromise some of its Starfleet principles to survive but that never happened. When he made battlestar galactica he made sure all of those things happened. 

Voyager though quickly abandoned the stuff that had been set up to make it different, such as having Maquis crew on the ship and the backward sort of mad max feel to the Delta Quadrant.

As time went by it just became TNG lite. Missions from starfleet, holodeck mishaps, Romulans and klingons.

The Borg were also overdone for cheap thrills, Borg armadas taken out with conventional weapons while Janeway sucked back coffee, compared to TNG where one ship almost destroyed the federation and picard had a nervous breakdown. Voyager was a bit like the ghostbusters cartoon to TNG's Ghosbusters. Slimer on the bridge. 

I thought the characters were poor in the main too, save for Janeway (a truly groundbreaking character), Paris, the Doctor and Neelix in small doses. Chakotay,  Tuvok and Kim were particularly bland.

There's quite a lot online of Robert Brltran (Chakotay) criticizing the show, saying the producers just wanted the show to be about Janeway and Seven and the rest became marginalised, reckons actors would frequently just be stood there shaking their heads while they read the script. Ironically Mulgrew and Ryan (janeway and seven) couldn't even stand each other apparently.

A lot of Voyager and later Trek's failures could be laid at Berman's door. He was a company man, a real studio stooge who was happy to regurgitate rather than take risks. That's why DS9 was so good, he lost interest in it early on and allowed Ira Behr to turn it on its head. The documentary that came out a couple of years back What We Left Behind showed Behr, Wolfe and Moore breaking a new DS9 episode for a laugh and it's clear they're absolute geniuses, had they been involved in Voyager or even Enterprise it would have been very interesting to see indeed.

It's ironic that being a liverpool fan and star trek fan in the late 90s was broadly comparable. Bernan was Rick Parry and both were franchises that invested less and less in producing something worthwhile, delivering the bare minimum because it knew it could rely on fan loyalty to keep the money flowing. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 15/05/2020 at 17:56, Section_31 said:

Don't mind sharing this with my fellow nerds but I've done a feature on 30 years since the Best of Both Worlds for SFX which should be out sometime in the summer, spoke to Mike Westmore (did the makeup for trek plus stuff like Rocky), the Okudas who did a lot of the art, Ron Jones who did the music and Elizabeth Dennehey (Brian's daughter) who played Shelby, did that one and the Okudas over Zoom which was pretty cool and surreal. 

It's easy to forget just how fucking mega The Next Gen was. I actually think the lack of CGi taught the people behind the scenes to be more creative. By the time Voyager came along you could have 15 Borg cubes onscreen and they didn't seem remotely intimidating, yet in The Best of Both Worlds you didnt even see the battle, only the aftermath. The drama was built with a transmission from the admiral being cut off after he informed them 'the fight does not go well', followed by a simple shake of the head by Data.

One of the producers from Picard pissed me off when he was trying to make out next gen was naive or childish and that his show was somehow grown up. Laughable really. People used to write actual scientific papers on the tech featured in the next gen and it was some of the best drama and character building ever seen on TV.

Picard is comprised almost entirely of people who don't give the slightest fuck about it. They treat it the way I'd treat Eastenders if I ever got a job writing that.

SCENE ONE: Dick Van Dyke walks into the vic. "Gawdelpus" he says, "I am dirty den's dad."

Available in all good newsagents. 

SFX331_cover_uk.jpg

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

SFX331_cover_uk.jpg

This was you? I read this the other week (subscriber) and thought it was really good. Took me back the the early 90s when a cliffhanger really was a cliffhanger.

Congrats on the article. 

• Upvote 1

On 23/09/2020 at 16:08, Section_31 said:

SFX331_cover_uk.jpg

That Shelby was a cunt. Riker should have busted her back down to Ensign or had her cleaning whatever bogs they had on Enterprise D for her insubordination!

Respect on the article. Always wondered why you were called Section 31!

42 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

That Shelby was a cunt. Riker should have busted her back down to Ensign or had her cleaning whatever bogs they had on Enterprise D for her insubordination!

Is that before bending her over a console and giving her a good hard bumming or after?

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Chatted to her over zoom for this for about 90 minutes and she was dead sound, she teaches at stage school in LA. Was a shame as her dad (Brian Denehy) died a week or two later.

On 25/09/2020 at 14:01, Section_31 said:

Chatted to her over zoom for this for about 90 minutes and she was dead sound, she teaches at stage school in LA. Was a shame as her dad (Brian Denehy) died a week or two later.

Yeah sign of a good actor \ actress that you focus on the character. There'd have been no story line if the character had been busted though. You can spot the likeness with her arl fella as well.

10 hours ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

I’m really looking forward to S3. One of the episodes is called Unification III. That’ll be interesting. 

Anybody been watching Lower Decks? 

It’s mad how LD hasn’t been picked up by one of the streaming services yet. I might be wrong but I don’t think it’s been picked up for international distribution yet.

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

It’s mad how LD hasn’t been picked up by one of the streaming services yet. I might be wrong but I don’t think it’s been picked up for international distribution yet.

Oh, yeah. That’s true. I forgot about that because I sail the seven seas to get mine. It’s actually really fun. The more it goes on the more you appreciate how much the creator loves Star Trek.