You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Finally it's been officially announced. I'm guessing it stuck with Strange New Worlds? Can't wait for this one. 

Yesh I think so, it's got huge potential. I really like discovery season 2, Picard has given me some trepidation about the future quality of the shows though.

Just now, Section_31 said:

Yesh I think so, it's got huge potential. I really like discovery season 2, Picard has given me some trepidation about the future quality of the shows though.

Yeah, some of Picard had a few interesting ideas that could have gone either way. And it did go one way... down the shitter. I didn't mind the start, the middle was flat, the last few episodes stink of cat's piss. That said, I'm looking forward to Season 3 of Discovery and very much looking forward to Pike. Pike is the best Captain since... 

Erm. 

He's the best Captain. 

Would it kill them to do an all-new original show without leaning heavily on previous characters? The people who oversee this and Star Wars need to have a long look about what they're doing. "Hey remember this?" is getting tiresome.

Perhaps the biggest mistake was using Anson Mount as Pike instead of having him as a whole new character, because the guy was excellent.

1 minute ago, RedKnight said:

Would it kill them to do an all-new original show without leaning heavily on previous characters? The people who oversee this and Star Wars need to have a long look about what they're doing. "Hey remember this?" is getting tiresome.

Perhaps the biggest mistake was using Anson Mount as Pike instead of having him as a whole new character, because the guy was excellent.

They definitely made a mistake starting Discovery in a known timeline. Glad they’re trying to remedy that by moving them into the future. Pike is too good to say no too. I do agree overall though. Move the franchise forward. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

They definitely made a mistake starting Discovery in a known timeline. Glad they’re trying to remedy that by moving them into the future. Pike is too good to say no too. I do agree overall though. Move the franchise forward. 

Yeah, Discovery in the future might hopefully really flourish now. CBS and Paramount make as many fuck-ups as Lucasfilm. Discovery's original premise sounds much more interesting and instead it was contorted into a prequel with tech way in advance of the original.

Just now, RedKnight said:

Yeah, Discovery in the future might hopefully really flourish now. CBS and Paramount make as many fuck-ups as Lucasfilm. Discovery's original premise sounds much more interesting and instead it was contorted into a prequel with tech way in advance of the original.

Yeah, for sure. What I really want is a show where a ship goes around discovering stuff across the galaxy. That’s be cool as shit. 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, for sure. What I really want is a show where a ship goes around discovering stuff across the galaxy. That’s be cool as shit. 

Yeah, no more mad OTT battles. New life and civilizations please.

Don't mind sharing this with my fellow nerds but I've done a feature on 30 years since the Best of Both Worlds for SFX which should be out sometime in the summer, spoke to Mike Westmore (did the makeup for trek plus stuff like Rocky), the Okudas who did a lot of the art, Ron Jones who did the music and Elizabeth Dennehey (Brian's daughter) who played Shelby, did that one and the Okudas over Zoom which was pretty cool and surreal. 

It's easy to forget just how fucking mega The Next Gen was. I actually think the lack of CGi taught the people behind the scenes to be more creative. By the time Voyager came along you could have 15 Borg cubes onscreen and they didn't seem remotely intimidating, yet in The Best of Both Worlds you didnt even see the battle, only the aftermath. The drama was built with a transmission from the admiral being cut off after he informed them 'the fight does not go well', followed by a simple shake of the head by Data.

One of the producers from Picard pissed me off when he was trying to make out next gen was naive or childish and that his show was somehow grown up. Laughable really. People used to write actual scientific papers on the tech featured in the next gen and it was some of the best drama and character building ever seen on TV.

Picard is comprised almost entirely of people who don't give the slightest fuck about it. They treat it the way I'd treat Eastenders if I ever got a job writing that.

SCENE ONE: Dick Van Dyke walks into the vic. "Gawdelpus" he says, "I am dirty den's dad."

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

There’s some cool stuff in the Short Treks, have you seen those?

No, not seen those. Never seem to get the time.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Don't mind sharing this with my fellow nerds but I've done a feature on 30 years since the Best of Both Worlds for SFX which should be out sometime in the summer, spoke to Mike Westmore (did the makeup for trek plus stuff like Rocky), the Okudas who did a lot of the art, Ron Jones who did the music and Elizabeth Dennehey (Brian's daughter) who played Shelby, did that one and the Okudas over Zoom which was pretty cool and surreal. 

It's easy to forget just how fucking mega The Next Gen was. I actually think the lack of CGi taught the people behind the scenes to be more creative. By the time Voyager came along you could have 15 Borg cubes onscreen and they didn't seem remotely intimidating, yet in The Best of Both Worlds you didnt even see the battle, only the aftermath. The drama was built with a transmission from the admiral being cut off after he informed them 'the fight does not go well', followed by a simple shake of the head by Data.

One of the producers from Picard pissed me off when he was trying to make out next gen was naive or childish and that his show was somehow grown up. Laughable really. People used to write actual scientific papers on the tech featured in the next gen and it was some of the best drama and character building ever seen on TV.

Picard is comprised almost entirely of people who don't give the slightest fuck about it. They treat it the way I'd treat Eastenders if I ever got a job writing that.

SCENE ONE: Dick Van Dyke walks into the vic. "Gawdelpus" he says, "I am dirty den's dad."

Sounds a great piece, that.

Picard is grown-up why? They have swear words in it? Ludicrous. TNG was really wobbly for the first couple of years but it came into it's own and yeah, treated the audience like adults. Picard treats the audience like a bunch of edgelord teenagers.

I also don't feel the Picard of the new series really matches the Picard of TNG.

I liked some episodes (I even got a little

excited about it) but overall felt it didn’t live up to the expectations at all and any promising bits were snuffed out before they got going. 

I also think the problem of moving the universe forward is that DS9 left everyone war ravaged and they can’t come up with any new antagonist races. Klingons are now federation allies, the Romulans are supposed to be fucked ( they still managed to get a massive fleet together in Picard), cardassia destroyed and the founders back in the gamma quadrant. 

now if they had an ounce of interest in doing anything challenging they should and could look at how the quadrant is trying to recover investigate the challenges that brings and splits in the races and move the ‘universe’ forward but instead they go for the easy option of going into the past so the Klingons can be bad guys again or rely on their past characters. 

picard should have been about what it means to have sentient AI and the discrimination they face and how the various powers Try and handle it and the captured borg cube should have been a way for us to explore their history. It was a bit ham fisted but I liked learning more about the romulans rather than just the Military even if I could have done without the 2D ninja monk. S31 is right about the Borg they ended up being pointless and replaced by the inter galaxy robots who have it that all meat based species are bad and therefore must be exterminated.  

the other thing I missed is the self contained episodes that ST was great at, where we learned more about a character or a new civilisation or space anomaly. They’ve cut all that to basically turn it into the same as every other show. TV now has to be about a single Narrative arc which then reduces the ability to flesh out the world it’s set in. ST charm is the world its set in for me. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Picard is grown-up why? They have swear words in it? Ludicrous. TNG was really wobbly for the first couple of years but it came into it's own and yeah, treated the audience like adults. Picard treats the audience like a bunch of edgelord teenagers.

I also don't feel the Picard of the new series really matches the Picard of TNG.

I’ve got both seasons uploaded if you need a link, mate. The one with the casts of the upcoming Strange New Worlds Show is a belter. 

31 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I suspect Patrick Stewart is largely to blame for the agenda driven storytelling. I don't think he ever particularly rated science fiction or Trek, he's a bit of a lovvie and reckoned the show was about his take on trump and Brexit (don't see it myself). Apparently the original plot was going to centre on picard making an archeological discovery but that was for some reason shelved and we got this total mess.

For the most part Picard was completely sidelined, I actually felt that female admiral who kept swearing at him was somehow done purposely to piss the fans off, sort of like "here's you hero, now behold how far we've come!"

A lot of these shows now seem to be aimed at extremely emotionally unstable teenage girls who tweet Jenny Ryan (who's probably just glad of the work) with stuff like "omg I can't believe you're queer and so 'badass' now I feel like I can be myself!"

Ironically their attempts to be diverse were actually laughable. Note the Hispanic captain who smoked cigars, drank tequila, played 'soccer' and called people 'mano'. They should have had a chinese character who did kung fu.

The episode of Picard where I knew it was taking the piss was the one where Stewart was wearing an eye patch and had a pepe le pew style french accent. Frakes directed that one, you can imagine them just fucking around and having a laugh with it, like the material didn't need their time or respect. If it did, no self respecting actor or director would tolerate a lot of the shite In it.

Thinking back though, picard was very different in the next gen films largely at Stewart's request. Muscle vests, action hero and all that bollocks. He was clearly just having a laugh and fuck the quality (they were, by and large, shite.)

Just now, JagSquared said:

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/05/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-akiva-goldsman-more-episodic/

Good news and hopefully the pike series Will be more in keeping with the trek of old.

At the end of the announcement, the actor playing Pike said it'd be a return to classic, optimistic Trek. 

• 1 month later...

Been watching Enterprise lately, I'd never seen it as I'd come off the back of Voyager at the time and thought the franchise needed a rest, that I'd seen it all before.

But it's like finding buried treasure. After the identity politics and shoddy "nobody gives a fuck" writing and production of Picard, along with its pompous rejection of - oh yes - everything that Star Trek stood for, it's been great telly to watch, especially during lockdown.

That's what's special about Star Trek. Bear in mind the original told tales of multiculturalism and optimism in an era that was just as fucked up as ours, with Uhura on the bridge even as race riots took place down the street, that's it's magic. That's why watching something like Enterprise has felt even more impactful, because I'm watching it NOW. Turn on the news and social media and it's endless talk of how cunty human beings are, but then there's this one show of how humans can be good, can be moral, can expand their horizons. And that's why Star Trek will always be more than just a show.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Been watching Enterprise lately, I'd never seen it as I'd come off the back of Voyager at the time and thought the franchise needed a rest, that I'd seen it all before.

But it's like finding buried treasure. After the identity politics and shoddy "nobody gives a fuck" writing and production of Picard, along with its pompous rejection of - oh yes - everything that Star Trek stood for, it's been great telly to watch, especially during lockdown.

That's what's special about Star Trek. Bear in mind the original told tales of multiculturalism and optimism in an era that was just as fucked up as ours, with Uhura on the bridge even as race riots took place down the street, that's it's magic. That's why watching something like Enterprise has felt even more impactful, because I'm watching it NOW. Turn on the news and social media and it's endless talk of how cunty human beings are, but then there's this one show of how humans can be good, can be moral, can expand their horizons. And that's why Star Trek will always be more than just a show.

Will definitely have to give this a watch....

Maybe it’s time for the world to start adopting Star Trek philosophy..

The Economic Lessons of Star Trek’s Money-Free Society

A few years ago Manu Saadia, a longtime Star Trek fan, went looking for a book about the economics of Star Trek. When he couldn’t find one, he decided to write his own. The result, Trekonomics, has drawn praise from economists such as Brad DeLong and Joshua Gans. Saadia says that Star Trek is one of the few science fiction universes that grapple with the idea that money may someday become obsolete.

It’s made clear and emphasized several times in the course of the show that the Federation does not have money,” Saadia says in Episode 205 of the Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy podcast. “You have Captain Picard saying, ‘We’ve overcome hunger and greed, and we’re no longer interested in the accumulation of things.'”

Saadia is fascinated by the idea of a society in which material wealth has become so abundant that possessing it no longer holds any appeal. In such a world the only way to gain status would be by cultivating talent and intellect.

What really makes sense in the Star Trekuniverse and Star Trek society is to compete for reputation,” he says. “What is not abundant in Star Trek’s universe is the captain’s  chair

https://www.wired.com/2016/05/geeks-guide-star-trek-economics/

10 hours ago, Numero said:

Star Trek Enterprise is fucking great. I recently finished a rewatch (I’m going through again in Chronological order). Shran is the best. 

Shran is indeed ace. Jeffery Coombs is great in his ST roles, I particularly liked his Weyoun.

enterprise has some faults but was pretty good all things considered. It really should have got a couple of more seasons. The ending was rushed and disappointing for me.

I love episodic trek the one that make you think, laugh and be amazed at high concepts it’s what the new shows have lacked. It’s probably why I enjoyed the Orville. That’s currently the best ST show and it isn’t even ST.

Just now, JagSquared said:

Shran is indeed ace. Jeffery Coombs is great in his ST roles, I particularly liked his Weyoun.

enterprise has som faults but was pretty good all things considered. It really should have got a couple of more seasons.

Yeah, but Trekkies are their own worst enemies. It wasn’t ‘their’ Trek like TNG m, so needed to burn. By the time everyone realised it was actually good, it was too late.