You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Loved the opening shot of the Enterprise D. Also loved the fact they haven’t gone down the route of a body double doing improbable action moves for his age. 

Twas great seeing the old girl again. Fantastic detail with modern technology on it too. Nice of them to have models of that,the star gazer and the enterprise e in his archive too.

US Space Force logo on left and the Star Trek emblem on right

The newly unveiled logo for US Space Force appears to have boldly gone where Star Trek went before.

Twitter users noted that the emblem, revealed by President Donald Trump, bears an uncanny likeness to the insignia from the cult sci-fi TV series.

The striking resemblance left many critics as stunned as though they had been zapped by Captain Kirk's phaser.

But others online insisted the logo was really based on the US Air Force One.

The intergalactic controversy comes after mockery erupted last week when it emerged Space Force troops would wear woodland camouflage uniforms.

Unveiling the insignia on Friday, Mr Trump tweeted: "After consultation with our Great Military Leaders, designers, and others, I am pleased to present the new logo for the United States Space Force, the Sixth Branch of our Magnificent Military!"

George Takei, star of the original 1960s Star Trek TV series, tweeted archly in response.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Those JJ Abrams abominations called 'Star Trek' left me cold and wondering WTF was going on with the idea of Star Trek. Utter crap this Kelvin timeline bullshit. In my opinion of course especially when you've grown up with TOS, TNG, DSN, Voyager and Enterprise.

Saw a lot of shit about the CBS All Access version of ST Discovery but as I dont subscribe to Netflix, never saw it. But E4 has been showing the episodes on Sunday evening although now have shunted it to about 11.45pm!

I gather it's based on this Kelvin timeline shit and 10 years before TOS. The difference in technology between Discovery and TOS is just shit, again in my opinion. While Kirk and co had a clunky computer and loads of coloured buttons to press, Discovery era Federation ships have full on graphical interfaces and halo decks to put Voyager to shame.

Still, the story lines seem good although why they decided to change the appearance of the Klingons and have them talk needing subtitles is a bit of a pain.

Of course the big plot hole for me is Michael Burnham. What the fuck was Amanda thinking when she called her half Vulcan daughter with a male first name? Where's the logic in that? Sarek must have gone apopletic! Still, Burnham's in for a surprise when she finds out who or rather what her beau really is.

Part 2 of the Terran Empire episode is on tonight so looking forward to that. I wonder if Hoshie is still Emporer?

10 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It’s not Kelvin, it’s Prime. The differences in canon are answered by the end. Amanda Grayson isn’t her mother, didn’t name her, and she’s not half Vulcan. 

Ah, my bad. I thought I saw on some YT review it was Kelvin and the other stuff. That probably explains why Im liking it!

11 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Picard is shaping up nicely. Not perfect of course (no Trek is), but generally quite decent. 

Seems to be taking an age to get to where it's meant to go. The problem with these single story arcs is that if the story is shit, the entire season becomes a waste of time. That's why I prefer the format of the classic Trek shows where the story is contained in a single episode, and next week it's a totally new adventure not connected to the previous episodes. 

I'm enjoying seeing Picard back but I'm not really fond of the plot so far.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Seems to be taking an age to get to where it's meant to go. The problem with these single story arcs is that if the story is shit, the entire season becomes a waste of time. That's why I prefer the format of the classic Trek shows where the story is contained in a single episode, and next week it's a totally new adventure not connected to the previous episodes. 

I'm enjoying seeing Picard back but I'm not really fond of the plot so far.

I’m not really a huge fan of episodic story arcs. It’s a rinse, wash, repeat situation where there is very little consequence to anything. Mortal danger this episode? Doesn’t matter, everything will be back to normal next episode. 

I think serialised story arcs are better and what turned TV from the retarded step-child of movies to credible, alternative methods of telling a story. The Sopranos, The Wire, etc. 

11 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’m not really a huge fan of episodic story arcs. It’s a rinse, wash, repeat situation where there is very little consequence to anything. Mortal danger this episode? Doesn’t matter, everything will be back to normal next episode. 

I think serialised story arcs are better and what turned TV from the retarded step-child of movies to credible, alternative methods of telling a story. The Sopranos, The Wire, etc. 

Deep space 9 did the balance really well in having episodic trek and a wider storyline and edged to the latter later but in a Meaningful way.

i think discovery could have done something similar and It would have  been much better for it and allowed us time to develop some of the other characters. 

im really liking Picard, but I’d like to hear more about the post ds9 world and how the other powers are getting on because I’m a bit of a nerd.

39 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Deep space 9 did the balance really well in having episodic trek and a wider storyline and edged to the latter later but in a Meaningful way.

i think discovery could have done something similar and It would have  been much better for it and allowed us time to develop some of the other characters. 

im really liking Picard, but I’d like to hear more about the post ds9 world and how the other powers are getting on because I’m a bit of a nerd.

I’m one of those guys that hates DS9, but I get what you mean. I think some episodes of season 3 were more like that. Pike was pretty great. 

Pike was great and I hope the rumours of a spin off for him are true. 

you’re a wrong un for not liking DS9, it’s the best trek for me but guess everyone has their own preferences. It was of the first tv shows to pioneer the long form storytelling which stretched over seasons that I can remember. Some of the themes covered we’re excellently done, I get that it veered away from traditional trek but it made its universe so much more realistic to me and not so idealistic. The writing and acting were superb too at times.

anyway back onto Picard, exploring the synthetics is a logical next step with the EMH and Data being so integral to seasons before. It’s also good to see them explore more of the romulan culture rather than just the Tal Shihar or its military that we have seen before.