You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

@Section_31

Not that I care what you think, but I care what you think... have you seen it yet? 

I thought some of the effects were pretty stunning. I like the way some of the characters are developing a bond together, which makes me care more about what's going on. Now... more red angel shit, please.

Thought the last two episodes of discovery were a bit wank if I'm honest. The last episode where they spent about 10 minutes explaining how the husband could have appeared and be reformed in our world dragged on forever ruining the tension of what we happening got me. In fact I thought the May stuff was all awful and cringey as fuck. 

Tyler being on Cronos was really interesting. Less so on board the ship. Section 31 have peaked my interest but this season has been a big meh for me 

Really liked S1 so giving this one more episode to stop cock teasing us with Spock and get back to form. Also I want to know more about the android on the bridge. Whoever made her included beasts so I want some background info. 

Edit - just realised where Section's user name comes from. Fucking nerd. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

They're paying lip service to the die hard fans. That's where all this is coming from. Pike is a straight boss though.

Ready Salted Pike. Waiting for him to do something interesting. Get Mr Saru back in the chair. Now he's not got his fear things he will be ace. 

Edit - maybe harsh on Pike. He just seems a bit one dimensional

9 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Ready Salted Pike. Waiting for him to do something interesting. Get Mr Saru back in the chair. Now he's not got his fear things he will be ace. 

Edit - maybe harsh on Pike. He just seems a bit one dimensional

He's going down like a house on fire with the Trekkies. They love him. To be fair, I love him too. He's that cool, calm, collected head the show needed for a Captain. Ties the crew together. 

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:02 PM, Section_31 said:

It's set ten years before the original Kirk and Spock series but 100 years after Enterprise. The Klingons were in that but apparently hadn't been seen for years before Discovery.

Pike was the original captain of the enterprise in the first star trek pilot but was replaced by Shatner as Kirk in the second pilot. One of the reaons the original was canned was because the networks considered it too progressive as the first officer was a woman. This was in the 50s. Another reason I love start trek. It's always had balls.

Star Trek TOS was in the 1960s and from 1966-1969 to be precise.

There were many reasons they changed the cast from the pilot (I think Spock was one of the few to survive). In the pilot (The Cage) he looked much more demonic and they softened him a lot. Pike was written out because the actor who played him got another job.  He did feature later in the two parter called "The Menagerie" and thus Pike should make the most of his legs whilst he still has use of  them

I hate that The Cage is Canon. I actually quite like The Cage and the parts they chopped to make The Menagerie, but they should have just left The Cage out of it. 

Anyway, I'm guess we will see Pike for the rest of the season, and that's it. Maybe they could squeeze a second season out of him, but after that he must be on the Enterprise, then being burned and crippled. 

On 2/17/2019 at 5:27 AM, Hank Moody said:

@Section_31

Not that I care what you think, but I care what you think... have you seen it yet? 

I thought some of the effects were pretty stunning. I like the way some of the characters are developing a bond together, which makes me care more about what's going on. Now... more red angel shit, please.

I think it's been a bit of a weak season so far in all honesty. 

Interestingly I actually think Burnham is the least interesting character in the show. Sarru, Tilly, Pike are all far more interesting I feel, plus I find her monologues a bit repetative as they seem to top and tale every episode now. I also  think Michelle Yaoh is a terrible actor, she reminds me of Wayne Rooney in a red wine advert. 

I reckon Section31 are behind most of this, especially the unexplained system failures of the Enterprise while it was in close proximity to Discovery. 

From a nerdy point of view they've really butchered the concept of Section 31 in  this. They're not supposed to have ships and symbols and be spoken about in public. They're basically the dark underbelly of a utopian society that's existed in complete secret for centuries. 

• Upvote 1

Strange you say that because it's going down much, much better with the core fanbase than last season. I do disagree a little on S31, mainly because it's a different time period and the word is the S31 show is going to be about how and why they go deeper underground. 

I think we're going to have to wait and see how it all plays out. I really like Pike, and this upcoming episode looks like it'll be a real cracker.

7 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Strange you say that because it's going down much, much better with the core fanbase than last season. I do disagree a little on S31, mainly because it's a different time period and the word is the S31 show is going to be about how and why they go deeper underground. 

I think we're going to have to wait and see how it all plays out. I really like Pike, and this upcoming episode looks like it'll be a real cracker.

I still really like it don't get me wrong, I loved last season but especially the Mirror episodes where Lorca was outed, absolutely amazing, I reckon he'll be back in some form - possibly the real version. 

Just now, Section_31 said:

I still really like it don't get me wrong, I loved last season but especially the Mirror episodes where Lorca was outed, absolutely amazing, I reckon he'll be back in some form - possibly the real version. 

Yeah could well be. I agree about Yeoh, too. I loved her in Crouching Tiger and a few other Wuxia movies, but I've not liked her from minute one. Fortunately, she's not in it that much. 

One of my favourite scenes so far has been when the Universal Translator went down. Scenes. 

15 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Yeah could well be. I agree about Yeoh, too. I loved her in Crouching Tiger and a few other Wuxia movies, but I've not liked her from minute one. Fortunately, she's not in it that much. 

One of my favourite scenes so far has been when the Universal Translator went down. Scenes. 

They've given her her own show though haven't they? She's gonna really really struggled to carry that. I like Leyland though, especially the fact his real name is Alan Van Sprang - which would be my name of choice for a pug. 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

They've given her her own show though haven't they? She's gonna really really struggled to carry that. I like Leyland though, especially the fact his real name is Alan Van Sprang - which would be my name of choice for a pug. 

Yeah, they have. I think they're trying to make her more likeable. I think the entire show will be Ash, Leyland, and her. With her fading out. Quickly. 

• Upvote 1

Enjoying this second season more than the first, has a more traditional trekkie feel to it (for me) and I like the whole red angel theme running through it. I actually like Pike as Captain too for the moment and don't mind Yeoh to be honest as I think there may be more to that story than we've seen so far. The whole finding Spock thing though feels a bit contrived and drawn out. Am hoping that actually leads to something significant, I'm sure it will. All in all good tv...especially the last episode!

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, RedPaul said:

Enjoying this second season more than the first, has a more traditional trekkie feel to it (for me) and I like the whole red angel theme running through it. I actually like Pike as Captain too for the moment and don't mind Yeoh to be honest as I think there may be more to that story than we've seen so far. The whole finding Spock thing though feels a bit contrived and drawn out. Am hoping that actually leads to something significant, I'm sure it will. All in all good tv...especially the last episode!

I’m not sure if you caught the preview for the next episode, but Spock is in it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hank Moody said:

I’m not sure if you caught the preview for the next episode, but Spock is in it. 

I've seen some footage of him knocking shit out of his doctors, don't know if it's supposed to be from his escape.

I'm wondering if the red angel is that future bloke from the short episode Calypso? As it must tie in somehow?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I've seen some footage of him knocking shit out of his doctors, don't know if it's supposed to be from his escape.

I'm wondering if the red angel is that future bloke from the short episode Calypso? As it must tie in somehow?

Yeah, Craft. That’d be awesome.