You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah not sure what to make of it to be honest, they seem to be going a bit 'Marvel Universe' with the whole thing but I'm not complaining at this stage. That being said, I don't think Yeoh is that good an actress in all honesty. Not sure she can carry the series alone, although Alan Van Sprang might be able to if he's involved. 

Trek needs Isaacs back! 

I suspect her (honestly, quite excellent) martial arts abilities are going to be put to good use. I’m not a huge fan of her acting (in English, anyway) but her physical abilities are amazing. I guess we will see what comes of it. More Trek though, can’t complain. 

• Upvote 1

Philistines. I loves TOS. But then I love TNG and DS9 as well. In the Pale Moonlight in Season 6 of DS9, to my mind, is one of the most brilliant episodes they ever made. They'd have never gotten away with it if Roddenberry was still alive, but I'm not going to say any more about it because I want NV to discover it for himself.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Philistines. I loves TOS. But then I love TNG and DS9 as well. In the Pale Moonlight in Season 6 of DS9, to my mind, is one of the most brilliant episodes they ever made. They'd have never gotten away with it if Roddenberry was still alive, but I'm not going to say any more about it because I want NV to discover it for himself.

Nice one. I finished Enterprise the other day, I really liked the show. I’ve moved on to Voyager. DS9 is after that. 

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Yep, an incredible episode.

William Saddler's Sloan character in the section 31 episodes is brilliant too. 

"It's an honour to know you doctor. The federation needs men like you. Men of principle, men of character....men who can sleep at night. 

But you're also the reason section 31 exists. Someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong."

I never got around to watching the last few seasons of DS9. 

I keep trying to start it again but the first few episodes put me off. Is it possible to join a few seasons in and not miss any of the overall arc ? Or would I be required to watch all 7 to get the full effect ?

Cheers

34 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I keep trying to start it again but the first few episodes put me off. Is it possible to join a few seasons in and not miss any of the overall arc ? Or would I be required to watch all 7 to get the full effect ?

Cheers

There's a few stand alone episodes but nearly all of them are involved in the main arc of they story, even if it's a 5 min scene somewhere. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Cheers

Nah you'll be fine watching from the end of season 5 onwards. The arc stuff starts in the first few episodes of six.

I would recommend watching season three onwards though where they get their own ship  - the defiant - and seson 4 is where Worf joins the cast. They're great seasons.

The dominion are the ongoing foe from season three onwards and are fucking boss.

Season one and two are shite, one especially. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

What’s the verdict? 

I enjoyed it but hope it doesn't get too soapy. Michael and Spock getting freaky does seems to have been hinted at. Did note the lighter tone but it's only expected as they aren't at war with the Klingons. It's a damn good looking show too. 

13 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I enjoyed it but hope it doesn't get too soapy. Michael and Spock getting freaky does seems to have been hinted at. Did note the lighter tone but it's only expected as they aren't at war with the Klingons. It's a damn good looking show too. 

Yeah, I think it struck a good balance between action and drama. Looks amazing, as well a new SciFi should. 

2 hours ago, Hand Shandy said:

First episode was decent enough, and there's clearly a lot of scene setting going on.

There has also been quite a tonal shift, with attempts to bring in more humour. Not sure how I feel about that at the moment - I liked the darker tone - but I suppose it's only ep 1...

Yeah that's my view on it. It was a solid enough start but as with all arc based shows the early ones are always about setting things up.

I really like Pike and the new engineer though, I thought Amanda was great too. 

I think this seson will be walking a fine line as it's trying to introduce more Marvel style humour (which IMO backfired massively in the truly appalling The Last Jedi). It clearly wants to introduce more of the Abrams style action feel but needs to retain its depth, as that is in the end what differentiates it from other space shows. 

I thought the last season did that well. (The Terrans for example were clearly supposed to be Republicans!)

Also NV I've watched the shorts now and thought they were excellent, especially Calypso, very Balck Mirror-esque!

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah that's my view on it. It was a solid enough start but as with all arc based shows the early ones are always about setting things up.

I really like Pike and the new engineer though, I thought Amanda was great too. 

I think this seson will be walking a fine line as it's trying to introduce more Marvel style humour (which IMO backfired massively in the truly appalling The Last Jedi). It clearly wants to introduce more of the Abrams style action feel but needs to retain its depth, as that is in the end what differentiates it from other space shows. 

I thought the last season did that well. (The Terrans for example were clearly supposed to be Republicans!)

Also NV I've watched the shorts now and thought they were excellent, especially Calypso, very Balck Mirror-esque!

Yeah, Calypso was my favourite too. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Alan Sex said:

They have certainly made Pike very TOS Kirk. 

I like it. As long as it doesn’t get too action-y. 

Do you reckon? 

When you look back at Kirk he was actually pretty morose and reserved. It was the Abrams films that sort of redrew him as this womanising, 'flawed' all American action hero.