You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chris Bascombe

Paul

If Carra and Gerrard Have no faith in there Manager then they should both have fucked off

They play for Liverpool Football Club not Rafa Benitez 11 no excuse in the world for spitting the dummy out and deliberately putting in under par performances

Im not say they did or are only they know the answer to that for sure

But I wont have it that they are deliberately playing under par to oust the Manager

They are Liverpool Players and they know what is expected of them and they give all they can when they play IMHO

Fuck of Gerrard and Carra? In the light of the last months shambles on and off the pitch, that hardly seem like a smart solution.

Carra and Gerrard are the backbone of the team, they love LFC and will give everything for their team to win the league. As time goes they see more and more clearly what many of us have suspected for a long time: Rafa has totally lost the plot regarding how to challenge for the league title and the team falls further and fiurtehr behind the top three.

I very much doubt that they intentionally leak their frustrations to the press, but when the frustration among the players gets high enough the press WILL find out, no matter how much the players and staff wants to avoid it.

Regarding Bascombe: He seem to be a genuine red who really wants the best for the club. He obviously have sensed that the situation is intolerable and that the team is moving fast backwards in erevy aspect. He reports it. I believe what he writes.

The only thing that doesn`t make sense in that article is the bit about the protest after the game.

Come on folks: I am 100% certain that we all have loved Rafa at some point, but the evidence is overwhelming: He will not win us the league or make us play attractive football. Ever.

To even suggest that we should get rid of Carra and Gerrard and keep Rafa is pure madness.

That's a fucking damning report. Unfair on the whole too, in my opinion. If that's come from Carra then i'd be very very dissapointed.

Rafa's not perfect and everyone has their doubts right now, but that report is way over the top and damaging to Rafa, a man who has carried himself impeccably in amongst this shit storm of a season, in the extreme.

If he makes a decision that proves to be a mistake then fine say it like it is, but all this "local hero's" shit just becauise Carar played at right back and our "captain" has played on the wing in the past is vomit inducing. I love Carra but if that has come from him he needs to shut the fuck up because a large reason for where he is today (a world class centre back) is thanks to Rafa.

As for the Steven Gerrard on the right shit, Bascombe's changed his tune and has a short memory because he defended Rafa for that for a long time over the whole media wankfest about Stevie being on the wing. Stevie's not exactly been at his best despite being in the middle this season. Mark fuckign Noble had him off the other night. You are privalleged to play for this club no matter how good you are, get the fuck on with it.

Regardless, it's now obvious that extremely powerful people inside the club (Carra and Stevie, the yanks) and Chris who has so much power in the press seem to have nailed their colours to the anti Rafa mast that has included 99% of the media from day one. It's probably a matter of time and if I was Rafa i'd fuck off at the end of the season and take some other more deserving club on to greatness. The way he's been treated by so many is a fucking disgrace and that has nothing to do with his rotation, slections, signing s or anything. From day one he's held his dignity in the face of so much shit and brought so much joy and respect back to this club and look how he has and is being treated.

We are in one of the darkest moments in this club history right now. It's a sad fucking day.

Rafa plans summer blood-letting

£40m KOP OUT FOR BENITEZ

By Chris Bascombe

RAFAEL BENITEZ'S plan to keep a grip on his Liverpool job involves a £40million summer bloodbath at Anfield.

As many as 10 players are earmarked for the cull, providing the Kop boss can convince new-owners-in-waiting DIC to give him another season to transform Liverpool's Premier League form.

Benitez's patience has finally run out with the enduring mediocrity of John Arne Riise, Peter Crouch, Harry Kewell and Andriy Voronin.

Most surprisingly, Benitez will allow Xabi Alonso to return to Spain after the midfielder fell out of favour with the boss.

Alonso signed a new long-term contract last summer and is valued at over £15m by Liverpool — but he's long attracted the interest of La Liga giants Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Visit

And the capture of Javier Mascherano on a permanent deal will keep Alonso below the Argentinian and skipper Steven Gerrard in the pecking order.

Alonso, Riise and Kewell were all left out of the Liverpool squad for Saturday's visit of Sunderland.

And although out-of-form Steve Finnan, who only recently signed a new contract, still has time to change Rafa's mind, long-serving legend Sami Hyypia is out of contract in June.

Striker Dirk Kuyt's position is under threat after a poor goal return since his £10m move from Feyenoord two years ago. Injury-prone Fabio Aurelio and calamity reserve keeper Charles Itandje are also in line for the axe.

Whether Benitez can convince his employers he's the man to lead yet another summer of rebuilding is a different matter altogether.

Chaos

Players such as Crouch were denied a January move because of the continued uncertainty surrounding the boss.

Matters off the pitch have been echoed by ongoing chaos on it — and while Benitez is inevitably making long-term plans, whether he'll be given the chance to see them through looks less certain.

A change of ownership AND manager remains more likely before the start of next season.

After admitting the plot to sack Benitez, revealed by the News of the World last November, co-owner Tom Hicks has now delivered a U-turn and promised he'll allow Benitez to see out the last two years of his contract.

However, few at Anfield believe the relationship between the Americans and Benitez is workable.

Prospective owners Dubai International Capital also recognise Benitez's popularity on The Kop and may give him a final chance — but that's not guaranteed.

Ally

The off-field political battle is crippling the club, with Hicks believing he's overcome the initial storm of protest against his leadership.

The Texan's chief ally at Anfield is commercial director Ian Ayre, who was appointed last summer with a view to eventually replacing chief executive Rick Parry.

Ayre has been briefing Hicks the fans have been won over by the recent £350m refinancing package — a claim which will be undermined by further demonstrations in the coming weeks.

The scale of the Anfield turmoil is unprecedented, but there remain hopes a DIC move will happen in ‘days rather than weeks'.

Come on folks: I am 100% certain that we all have loved Rafa at some point, but the evidence is overwhelming: He will not win us the league or make us play attractive football. Ever.

What "evidence"? He makes mistakes as does every manager, but don't conflate your opinion with fact.

Don't question me Hermes on the manager

We support our club,we have to.

Rafa is not the club.

Marching for a man who is plunging the club into mid-table mediocrity whilst demanding nearly £20m for another central midfielder when the team is crying out for a forward is not supporting the club.

He has totally lost the plot, is now losing the players and should lose his job. The biggest transfer budget in the history of the club has left us scrambling for a CL place and outplayed for 45 minutes against part-timers with a team containing £60m of Rafa signings.

Wake up people.

Babel has played 32 games and started 14, he has usually been shite when he has got the chance from the start as well so I for one am happy with the way he is used.

Sorry, got that one wrong, its 33 games and 15 starts.

Only Carra and Gerrard have got more or the same number of games to their chest this season with 36 and 33.

Guest Caffreys

£40m KOP OUT FOR BENITEZ

By Chris Bascombe

RAFAEL BENITEZ'S plan to keep a grip on his Liverpool job involves a £40million summer bloodbath at Anfield.

As many as 10 players are earmarked for the cull, providing the Kop boss can convince new-owners-in-waiting DIC to give him another season to transform Liverpool's Premier League form.

Benitez's patience has finally run out with the enduring mediocrity of John Arne Riise, Peter Crouch, Harry Kewell and Andriy Voronin.

Most surprisingly, Benitez will allow Xabi Alonso to return to Spain after the midfielder fell out of favour with the boss.

Alonso signed a new long-term contract last summer and is valued at over £15m by Liverpool — but he's long attracted the interest of La Liga giants Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Visit

And the capture of Javier Mascherano on a permanent deal will keep Alonso below the Argentinian and skipper Steven Gerrard in the pecking order.

Alonso, Riise and Kewell were all left out of the Liverpool squad for Saturday's visit of Sunderland.

And although out-of-form Steve Finnan, who only recently signed a new contract, still has time to change Rafa's mind, long-serving legend Sami Hyypia is out of contract in June.

Striker Dirk Kuyt's position is under threat after a poor goal return since his £10m move from Feyenoord two years ago. Injury-prone Fabio Aurelio and calamity reserve keeper Charles Itandje are also in line for the axe.

Whether Benitez can convince his employers he's the man to lead yet another summer of rebuilding is a different matter altogether.

Chaos

Players such as Crouch were denied a January move because of the continued uncertainty surrounding the boss.

Matters off the pitch have been echoed by ongoing chaos on it — and while Benitez is inevitably making long-term plans, whether he'll be given the chance to see them through looks less certain.

A change of ownership AND manager remains more likely before the start of next season.

After admitting the plot to sack Benitez, revealed by the News of the World last November, co-owner Tom Hicks has now delivered a U-turn and promised he'll allow Benitez to see out the last two years of his contract.

However, few at Anfield believe the relationship between the Americans and Benitez is workable.

Prospective owners Dubai International Capital also recognise Benitez's popularity on The Kop and may give him a final chance — but that's not guaranteed.

Ally

The off-field political battle is crippling the club, with Hicks believing he's overcome the initial storm of protest against his leadership.

The Texan's chief ally at Anfield is commercial director Ian Ayre, who was appointed last summer with a view to eventually replacing chief executive Rick Parry.

Ayre has been briefing Hicks the fans have been won over by the recent £350m refinancing package — a claim which will be undermined by further demonstrations in the coming weeks.

The scale of the Anfield turmoil is unprecedented, but there remain hopes a DIC move will happen in ‘days rather than weeks'.

So where did CB get all this from then?

£40m KOP OUT FOR BENITEZ

By Chris Bascombe

Visit

Chaos

Ally

Pretty much sums up the mess we are in both on and off the pitch.

When we got rid of Houllier a part of me wondered whether we weren't setting a dangerous precedent, even though I felt his time had come and gone, and privately hoped he would walk. Some of our fans may as well support Newcastle, the way we're going. Benitez has done more than enough to deserve our support until the end of his contract. I believe personally he will get it right before then anyway.

That match report couldn't be more unhelpful to the club at a time when fans are trying to unite to force the yanks out.

Rafa is the only person at the club prepared to publicly stand up against the yanks and now Basco has publicly lined carra and gerrard up against him. Marvelous.

That match report couldn't be more unhelpful to the club at a time when fans are trying to unite to force the yanks out.

Rafa is the only person at the club prepared to publicly stand up against the yanks and now Basco has publicly lined carra and gerrard up against him. Marvelous.

Agree with that. As someone else has already said, you can only assume CB's making sure he keeps an in at the club once Rafa leaves. All very depressing.

What "evidence"? He makes mistakes as does every manager, but don't conflate your opinion with fact.

Obviously I respect that people are reluctant to sack a manager. That is how it should be.

And you are right: Just when the time has come to part ways with the manager in the interest of the club is a matter of opinion. IMO that time is now as much as it saddens me.

Some times I think people overcomplicate things, just like Rafa, when the big question really is quite simple: Are the performances on the pitch of a standard that Liverpool Football Club can live with? Feel free to think so. I don`t.

Guest Caffreys

Well if anyone is in any doubt that the manager has lost (or will now lose) the players, one look at that article should confirm it. Cannot believe the 2 articles I have read tonight have come from Chris Bascombe. To me there is an agenda being lined up and have a feeling it will come to a head very soon.

Guest Caffreys
Agree with that. As someone else has already said, you can only assume CB's making sure he keeps an in at the club once Rafa leaves. All very depressing.

Has he had the nod that Rafa will not be here next season....

You know what? Fuck this shit. I've fucking had it. Gloves are off now.

We have a manager with a proven record of WINNING big trophies. 2 La Ligas, 1 European Cup, 1 UEFA Cup, and 1 FA Cup - all in the last 6 years.

We have a manager who is hailed by many, and rightly so, as being a tactical genius.

This is a guy who has turned Liverpool around into being a force, a real genuine honest to fucking goodness force in Europe. Are we nervous ahead of the Inter tie? Yes. You can also bet your bottom dollar that Inter are shitting a brick at having to play Benitez in a 2 leg Euro tie.

I would kindly like to remind you that, despite our history, we have been - for the best part of 15 years (with the honourable exception of 01) - plainly average. How the FUCK have so many Liverpool supporters developed amnesia? Something in the half time beer?

THE ONLY FUCKING REASON WE ARE JUMPING UP AND DOWN AT THE START OF THE SEASON, THINKING WE HAVE A CHANCE OF THE LEAGUE, IS BECAUSE RAFA BENITEZ TURNED LIVERPOOL FROM A DISTINCTLY AVERAGE TEAM, TO EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS - AND RUNNERS UP, IN THREE YEARS.

So we're not going to win the League this year. Well, get fucking over it. With all the shit Rafa has had to deal with behind the scenes - ON HIS FUCKING OWN BY THE LOOKS OF IT - its not surprising.

I'm not one of the "Gerrard is a cunt" brigade. But honestly, if Stevie, or Carra for that matter, think that THEY know better how to get no.19 to Anfield this season, then I'm sorry - they sound about as clueless about footie as Lawro, Redknapp, and many other ex-players.

Rafa is the manager. He is not God. He makes mistakes. Whisper it quietly, but Shanks made mistakes too. Fuck it, Bob Paisley misjudged how quickly he needed to rebuild the late 70s side - so we fell from double champions in 79 and 80, to 5th in 81. And in 82, we were lagging far behind by Christmas.

But you know what. Bob knew he had misjudged it in 81. He fixed it. We snagged the League in 82, with a great comeback.

Because Bob was a top manager.

And so is Rafa. If Steve G, Carra, or anyone suddenly thinks that someone who could drag an average Liverpool to Champions League finals year after year is not - THEN THEY'RE WRONG. We are NOT going back to the Spice Boys days. The manager is the boss. The players shut the fuck up and play. The rest of us get behind the manager, and support the team.

Thems the rules. Follow them, or fuck off.

Obviously I respect that people are reluctant to sack a manager. That is how it should be.

And you are right: Just when the time has come to part ways with the manager in the interest of the club is a matter of opinion. IMO that time is now as much as it saddens me.

Some times I think people overcomplicate things, just like Rafa, when the big question really is quite simple: Are the performances on the pitch of a standard that Liverpool Football Club can live with? Feel free to think so. I don`t.

I have a large difference of opinion there as I don't think the performances on the pitch are wholely or even in the most part down to the manager, barring some errors he has clearly made. We've got too many passengers in the team, and I'm talking about players who have shown as recently as a couple of months ago that they have much better levels of performance in their locker.

I don't think the biggest cancer at the club is Rafa's methods or the players in any case, I think it's the incompetence and dishonesty of the owners and the chief executive, and I don't want anything to distract from that.

If they hadn't allowed the running of the club to become so bloody ludicrous in every way then I personally believe we would be seeing quite a different situation, although inevitably not good enough for some people that think the manager has to walk on water when we're clearly not competing financially with the teams who have finished above us in the last two seasons.

You know what? Fuck this shit. I've fucking had it. Gloves are off now.

We have a manager with a proven record of WINNING big trophies. 2 La Ligas, 1 European Cup, 1 UEFA Cup, and 1 FA Cup - all in the last 6 years.

We have a manager who is hailed by many, and rightly so, as being a tactical genius.

This is a guy who has turned Liverpool around into being a force, a real genuine honest to fucking goodness force in Europe. Are we nervous ahead of the Inter tie? Yes. You can also bet your bottom dollar that Inter are shitting a brick at having to play Benitez in a 2 leg Euro tie.

I would kindly like to remind you that, despite our history, we have been - for the best part of 15 years (with the honourable exception of 01) - plainly average. How the FUCK have so many Liverpool supporters developed amnesia? Something in the half time beer?

THE ONLY FUCKING REASON WE ARE JUMPING UP AND DOWN AT THE START OF THE SEASON, THINKING WE HAVE A CHANCE OF THE LEAGUE, IS BECAUSE RAFA BENITEZ TURNED LIVERPOOL FROM A DISTINCTLY AVERAGE TEAM, TO EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS - AND RUNNERS UP, IN THREE YEARS.

So we're not going to win the League this year. Well, get fucking over it. With all the shit Rafa has had to deal with behind the scenes - ON HIS FUCKING OWN BY THE LOOKS OF IT - its not surprising.

I'm not one of the "Gerrard is a cunt" brigade. But honestly, if Stevie, or Carra for that matter, think that THEY know better how to get no.19 to Anfield this season, then I'm sorry - they sound about as clueless about footie as Lawro, Redknapp, and many other ex-players.

Rafa is the manager. He is not God. He makes mistakes. Whisper it quietly, but Shanks made mistakes too. Fuck it, Bob Paisley misjudged how quickly he needed to rebuild the late 70s side - so we fell from double champions in 79 and 80, to 5th in 81. And in 82, we were lagging far behind by Christmas.

But you know what. Bob knew he had misjudged it in 81. He fixed it. We snagged the League in 82, with a great comeback.

Because Bob was a top manager.

And so is Rafa. If Steve G, Carra, or anyone suddenly thinks that someone who could drag an average Liverpool to Champions League finals year after year is not - THEN THEY'RE WRONG. We are NOT going back to the Spice Boys days. The manager is the boss. The players shut the fuck up and play. The rest of us get behind the manager, and support the team.

Thems the rules. Follow them, or fuck off.

Good post.

well if its just the english players who have a bee in their bonet id rather Rafa stayed and they left personally, most arnt good enough for this team with the exception of Gerrard and Carra allthough i feel they are replacable or have been replaced allready.

Everyone would be on an equal footing within the team and we could actualy form a young team wouldnt have any mr big bollocks in it.

agree completely. Rafa should Rule with an Iron fist and fuck anyone off and i mean anyone.

anyone who questions Fergie is gone so why should we tolerate that behaviour from players