You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chris Bascombe

Paul

I don't understand what Bascombe is up to with that article, it's snidey as fuck and really not what's needed at the moment. The worst bit is that he tries to make it seem like the protest was against Rafa, surely he knows that's not true. What the fuck is he up to? He just went WAY down in my estimation.

100k a week blah blah. Would you rather he took the money and never gave a toss. Even on a mill a week I suspect a proper proffesional footballer will still care about a league winners medal more than his pool or his 10 ensuite bedrooms.

Here's an idea...

If you're a footballer, and getting paid tens of thousands of pounds a week to do so... and you want a league winners medal...

Play some fucking football...

Just an idea, like.

Guest PaddyBerger15
You know what? Fuck this shit. I've fucking had it. Gloves are off now.

We have a manager with a proven record of WINNING big trophies. 2 La Ligas, 1 European Cup, 1 UEFA Cup, and 1 FA Cup - all in the last 6 years.

We have a manager who is hailed by many, and rightly so, as being a tactical genius.

This is a guy who has turned Liverpool around into being a force, a real genuine honest to fucking goodness force in Europe. Are we nervous ahead of the Inter tie? Yes. You can also bet your bottom dollar that Inter are shitting a brick at having to play Benitez in a 2 leg Euro tie.

I would kindly like to remind you that, despite our history, we have been - for the best part of 15 years (with the honourable exception of 01) - plainly average. How the FUCK have so many Liverpool supporters developed amnesia? Something in the half time beer?

THE ONLY FUCKING REASON WE ARE JUMPING UP AND DOWN AT THE START OF THE SEASON, THINKING WE HAVE A CHANCE OF THE LEAGUE, IS BECAUSE RAFA BENITEZ TURNED LIVERPOOL FROM A DISTINCTLY AVERAGE TEAM, TO EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS - AND RUNNERS UP, IN THREE YEARS.

So we're not going to win the League this year. Well, get fucking over it. With all the shit Rafa has had to deal with behind the scenes - ON HIS FUCKING OWN BY THE LOOKS OF IT - its not surprising.

I'm not one of the "Gerrard is a cunt" brigade. But honestly, if Stevie, or Carra for that matter, think that THEY know better how to get no.19 to Anfield this season, then I'm sorry - they sound about as clueless about footie as Lawro, Redknapp, and many other ex-players.

Rafa is the manager. He is not God. He makes mistakes. Whisper it quietly, but Shanks made mistakes too. Fuck it, Bob Paisley misjudged how quickly he needed to rebuild the late 70s side - so we fell from double champions in 79 and 80, to 5th in 81. And in 82, we were lagging far behind by Christmas.

But you know what. Bob knew he had misjudged it in 81. He fixed it. We snagged the League in 82, with a great comeback.

Because Bob was a top manager.

And so is Rafa. If Steve G, Carra, or anyone suddenly thinks that someone who could drag an average Liverpool to Champions League finals year after year is not - THEN THEY'RE WRONG. We are NOT going back to the Spice Boys days. The manager is the boss. The players shut the fuck up and play. The rest of us get behind the manager, and support the team.

Thems the rules. Follow them, or fuck off.

Thats an excellent post that.

The Emperor is not wearing any clothes.

Oh look, Lord Haw Haw is back from under his stone.

I can't believe how naive some people are on here. To suggest we should kick out half of the squad bcause they have lost faith in the manager. A manager who has squandered over £130m in assembling the dross we are having to watch at the moment, it's beyond belief.

What do they want? that he should be given another £130m to have another go?

Its shocking isn't it, how we've apparently spent 130m and yet the opposition hasn't spent a single penny in that time has it? Those poor downtrodden owners, they should be applauded for lying to us while Benitez should be hung for the cunt he is for showing your heroes in their true light.

You're a fucking bilious shithouse of the highest order you are Hermes....agenda driven and sour to the core.

Ok, I rather overused the f word - but I guess going through the emotional release of finally getting those 3 points, and then reading this thread just put me over the edge. Gun. Point down. See own foot. Shoot.

Right now, we as a club (and by club, I mean the supporters too) are at a seminal moment in our history. You can almost taste it. Even though we grew up on a diet of winning everything in sight - we were always about more than just winning.

ManUre are a great club (arghh - I feel dirty). But there is no ManUre way. Same with Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, etc, etc. Liverpool are not the same. Its hard to define, and it does come across as being egotistical - but I really believe it. Theres a reason why we are still regarded the way we are, 18 years after our last League title.

At LFC, there is one leader. And its not the owner. The owners are there to look after the club, to nurture its future financial prospects, and to make sure that they have the right man as manager. To be seen, but not heard.

The manager is the leader. And the players follow.

We as fans give the benefit of the doubt, and shout on ANY player who pulls on the red shirt. And a select few, we turn into demi Gods. But we never, ever stand for anyone jumping out of place.

The manager is the boss.

Should managers be judged? Of course. But there's a time and place for everything. In the middle of a season of such turmoil - thats not the time.

Almost as much as the owners scare me - I'm starting to get somewhat alarmed by some of our support, who are developing the "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

Let me ask a question. What do we lose if we don't win the League this season? What do we really lose, if we challenge, but don't win the League next season?

You know what we lose? Just one season.

And contrast that with what we lose, when we turn into a club who continuously demands success, at any cost, at any price - and assasinates its own if it doesn't get it - NOW.

You know what we lose there? Everything. Everything which made us just a little different from every other club. Go down that road, and we'll end up another Newcastle or Spurs, changing our manager after every bad patch of form.

Keep it simple. That always used to be the Liverpool ethos. From the boot room, to the 5 a side training, to match days. To how the club was run off the field. Keep it simple.

Once we lost that famous boot room (where succession was almost predestined), then the selection of the next manager was always going to be more risky, You never know if the new guy has the qualities you need, or is able to empathise with the club and its traditions.

Well, with Rafa, he took us to the European summit, and nearly repeated that feat 2 years (and 1 FA Cup) later. Its easy to be blase about that now - but dammit, if you had offered that to us in the 90's, we would have bitten your hand off.

We have a leader with the right qualities. And dammit, we have someone with the right sympathies. You know he hurts after every defeat, even if some of our highly paid players might laugh in the tunnel afterwards (hint, Kewell).

You all know that Fergie was given time, and Wenger too. And yet, despite knowing it - if Rafa doesn't deliver no.19 yesterday, he's a failure? Chop him now, and you can kiss goodbye to any future aspirations of getting a "Shanks-like" figure in. Because they won't be given the necessary time.

With the nightmarish change of ownership we have just gone through, we have all gotten a scary glimpse of just what its might be like if we ever game up our principles and became "just another club". Its been a sobering experience (and hopefully, a temporary one). If we come out of it - still recognisably Liverpool - on the other end, we'll be stronger for the experience.

Same with the manager.

good post but I didnt quote it again .

Rafa is a lame duck. The owners have said he is finished, the press know it, the board know it and so do the players.

He is clinging on in the face of it all because of the fans backing. The senior players are now casting thier vote.

Not in Rafas favour.

It is a horrible situation and nothing good will come out of it.

RR - There is no way ChrisB will alienate his mates Carra and Stevie.. the reason he is speculating in the article is because he doean't want it to sound like he has been fed the stories.

You don't know Bascombe so how come you are interpreting his motives?

Your agenda is to beat the drum against Rafa whichever way you can.

Bascombe has not been in touch with Carra or Steve. Whoever wrote that article, Bascombe or whoever, is just making it up like you are making up that you know Bascombe.

Irrespective of current problems, Steve G's has never gotten over Houllier's dismissal and Rafa's arrival. He made life very difficult for Rafa with his flirting with Chlesea. He turned Chelsea down because he could not stand the heat from Liverpool supporters - which is hardly the ideal basis for his still being at LFC. He has an exaggerated idea of his "special place" at LFC.

His head has been turned by H&G especially G and dreams of big American dollars. He has never supported Rafa and only began to admit the politics might be upsetting the team when he saw that the supporters were virtually 100% against the Yanks.

I don't think LFC will win the league as long as Stevie G is captain. I'd let him stay if he behaves and if he learns to adjust to the other talents on the team. Otherwise I'd get shut of him this summer, use the money to bring in enthusiastic players who will play for the club as the manager dictates, without moaning and without needing exaggerated wages and promises that one day he will be manager. We don't want another Shearer.

You know what? Fuck this shit. I've fucking had it. Gloves are off now.

We have a manager with a proven record of WINNING big trophies. 2 La Ligas, 1 European Cup, 1 UEFA Cup, and 1 FA Cup - all in the last 6 years.

We have a manager who is hailed by many, and rightly so, as being a tactical genius.

This is a guy who has turned Liverpool around into being a force, a real genuine honest to fucking goodness force in Europe. Are we nervous ahead of the Inter tie? Yes. You can also bet your bottom dollar that Inter are shitting a brick at having to play Benitez in a 2 leg Euro tie.

I would kindly like to remind you that, despite our history, we have been - for the best part of 15 years (with the honourable exception of 01) - plainly average. How the FUCK have so many Liverpool supporters developed amnesia? Something in the half time beer?

THE ONLY FUCKING REASON WE ARE JUMPING UP AND DOWN AT THE START OF THE SEASON, THINKING WE HAVE A CHANCE OF THE LEAGUE, IS BECAUSE RAFA BENITEZ TURNED LIVERPOOL FROM A DISTINCTLY AVERAGE TEAM, TO EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS - AND RUNNERS UP, IN THREE YEARS.

So we're not going to win the League this year. Well, get fucking over it. With all the shit Rafa has had to deal with behind the scenes - ON HIS FUCKING OWN BY THE LOOKS OF IT - its not surprising.

I'm not one of the "Gerrard is a cunt" brigade. But honestly, if Stevie, or Carra for that matter, think that THEY know better how to get no.19 to Anfield this season, then I'm sorry - they sound about as clueless about footie as Lawro, Redknapp, and many other ex-players.

Rafa is the manager. He is not God. He makes mistakes. Whisper it quietly, but Shanks made mistakes too. Fuck it, Bob Paisley misjudged how quickly he needed to rebuild the late 70s side - so we fell from double champions in 79 and 80, to 5th in 81. And in 82, we were lagging far behind by Christmas.

But you know what. Bob knew he had misjudged it in 81. He fixed it. We snagged the League in 82, with a great comeback.

Because Bob was a top manager.

And so is Rafa. If Steve G, Carra, or anyone suddenly thinks that someone who could drag an average Liverpool to Champions League finals year after year is not - THEN THEY'RE WRONG. We are NOT going back to the Spice Boys days. The manager is the boss. The players shut the fuck up and play. The rest of us get behind the manager, and support the team.

Thems the rules. Follow them, or fuck off.

number 1 post.:yes:

You don't know Bascombe so how come you are interpreting his motives?

Your agenda is to beat the drum against Rafa whichever way you can.

Bascombe has not been in touch with Carra or Steve. Whoever wrote that article, Bascombe or whoever, is just making it up like you are making up that you know Bascombe.

Irrespective of current problems, Steve G's has never gotten over Houllier's dismissal and Rafa's arrival. He made life very difficult for Rafa with his flirting with Chlesea. He turned Chelsea down because he could not stand the heat from Liverpool supporters - which is hardly the ideal basis for his still being at LFC. He has an exaggerated idea of his "special place" at LFC.

His head has been turned by H&G especially G and dreams of big American dollars. He has never supported Rafa and only began to admit the politics might be upsetting the team when he saw that the supporters were virtually 100% against the Yanks.

I don't think LFC will win the league as long as Stevie G is captain. I'd let him stay if he behaves and if he learns to adjust to the other talents on the team. Otherwise I'd get shut of him this summer, use the money to bring in enthusiastic players who will play for the club as the manager dictates, without moaning and without needing exaggerated wages and promises that one day he will be manager. We don't want another Shearer.

I agree , for what its worth, Gerrard is a great player usually but a hopeless captain. He should pass the armband to Mascherano. Far better equipped in my opinion.

We are now officially the new Newcastle, the Liverpool Way has passed into history and if this carries on we will be just another football club. What a pile of shit, in 50 years I have never been so down about events at the club I love. Clearly there are problems below board level; some of the football we played this year has been dire, and some of the performances totally lacking heart. Rafa has brought some of this on himself. Shankley was not popular with many of the players some were shit scared of him, neither was Paisley - you can't be popular with everyone and manage a football club effectively. One of the keys to good management is having a buffer between you and the players, a shoulder for them to cry on, someone to smooth egos, reassure players when they are dropped and generally keep morale up. Its hard to do this when you are the one taking the decisions. We have always had someone who did this - first Bob, then Joe Fagan, then Roy Evans - that was Pako's role helping keep the players onside. Not replacing Pako has in my opinion been the biggest mistake made this season. Manure suffered when McLaren went and then when Quiroz went to Real. Review our performances and look when the dip began; I'm not saying Pako going is the only reason for what's gone on but it must have put more pressure on Rafa, add to that the shit with cowboy Tom and it's no wonder he is making bizzare decisions. Don't forget Rafa has always had Pako as a number two; his methods of working have suddenly and drastically changed. Get someone in now - Sammy Lee's available and an excellent coach he also knows many of the players, is a died in the wool red. It may be too late if what Bascombe says has any basis in reality, but it's too simplistic to say its either Cara and Gerrard OR Rafa, they love LFC too; it's about getting the machine functioning again and sorting out the relationships that aren't working. AND it's about shutting up shop and keeping shit like this out of the papers.

I can't believe how naive some people are on here. To suggest we should kick out half of the squad bcause they have lost faith in the manager. A manager who has squandered over £130m in assembling the dross we are having to watch at the moment, it's beyond belief.

What do they want? that he should be given another £130m to have another go?

fishing-2.jpg

To me, it absolutely defies belief that people continue to criticise everyone bar Rafa. I absolutely love the guy - he is a Liverpool legend - but the fact is that he has made the bed we're lying in now and no-one else. Certainly the pair of cunts at the helm have exacerbated the problem, but this squad is Rafa's, these tactics are Rafa's and the climate inside the dressing room is Rafa's.

He has been here nearly four years, spent a fortune in that time and yet the same old problems remain. We lack width, pace, guile and goals and that is exactly the situation that Rafa walked into nearly four years ago. He has signed dozens of poor to middling players and players in positions that aren't a priority - and all in the name of "options". Well how about the option of a couple of genuinely talented attacking players instead of a choice between OK and average? We are mediocre and in danger of being overtaken by Spurs, City, West Ham, Everton, Blackburn, Portsmouth and Newcastle who are all spending more freely than ever and have good managers taking them forward with real momentum.

I hope this boardroom issue gets resolved really fucking quickly because there are massive problems on the pitch - massive - and they're becoming a side issue. People being critical of the players for having lost belief in a man who has been repeating the same mistakes for years have simply got their heads in the sand. Who seriously thinks Rafa will spend £40m wisely or move on players he's persisted with this season? I don't.

It's sickening to say, but I think we've reached the end of the line if the players are now so resolutely against him. I just hope this oft-mentioned imminent formal bid is forthcoming soon, because what's even more depressing is the thought of the incumbent bastards getting to sack Rafa and - possibly even worse - appointing a new man (God knows what sort of Yes man clown they'd want).

Hillsborough aside, this is undoubtedly the worst time I can remember in my 25 years as a Red. This club is in need of revolution - again: in the boardroom, on the pitch and, saddest of all, in the manager's office. Unfortunately, I'm pretty fucking far from optimistic that we're going to get one. I can only hope that Rafa achieves the seemingly impossible and manages to turn this lumbering juggernaut around. I fear the time for that came and went last summer, though.

These are sad, sad days to be a Red.

All i've got to say is, that article is fucking stupid.

It does only harm and no good for us as a club.

Dont matter if it's true or not.

Do you think these players will be giving 100% for the rest of the season now ?

No chance, it's damage control from here on.

And obviously they themselves will have felt/feel if they have the managers backing.

But still, this article just put more divide amongst us. Dont really get it...

I would always expect a mass clear out after this season, since alot of players have proved they aint got what it takes.

I'm going to say this once, and I'm going to mean it even if it pisses off people that I really like and enjoy reading here:

Anyone that wants Rafa out right now can fuck off.

Oh dear. That really moves the debate forward doesn't it? It's also a pussy's post. If you really mean it, then address it to the person you had in mind, rather than leaving it hanging in the air.

For clarification, I'll repeat my comment from a couple of days ago: I would not sack Rafa without a top class replacement ready and available to step into the breach immediately. There is still too much at stake to leave the club in the hands of a caretaker.

Clearly Rafa could still turn things round - and I sincerely hope he does for the sake of both the club and the man himself, who I'll always admire and regard with affection. However, it would be a miracle to make Istanbul pale into insignificance by comparison if he were to pull it off. We are as much of a shambles on the pitch as off it - and everything that's happening has its roots in the pre-Twats era. I said as much last season.

Oh dear. That really moves the debate forward doesn't it? It's also a pussy's post. If you really mean it, then address it to the person you had in mind, rather than leaving it hanging in the air.

For clarification, I'll repeat my comment from a couple of days ago: I would not sack Rafa without a top class replacement ready and available to step in to the breach immediately. There is still too much at stake to leave the club in the hands of a caretaker.

Clearly Rafa could still turn things round - and I sincerely hope he does for both the club and the man himself, who I'll always admire and regard with affection. However, it would be a miracle to make Istanbul pale into insignificance by comparison if he were to pull it off. We are as much of a shambles on the pitch as off it - and everything that's happening has its roots in the pre-Twats era. I said as much last season.

Its aimed at a large number of people Paul, and you're correct in assuming it's partly leveled at you. I can't fucking believe what is going on to our club right now on every level, it beggars belief. I do not see any benefit in sacking Rafa right now, or at the end of the season. I believe that ceasing to back the manager (and I feel the same way about every player in a red shirt, regardless of quality) is a fool's errand. Call it blind loyalty if you will, but I think that's what supporting this club is about. I respect you greatly mate, I really do. I just can't believe that people, yourself included, would see us sack the manager based on what's going on right now, replacement or not. It is just madness to me.