You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chris Bascombe

Paul

who are you like>?

I suppose I'm a bit like a rose-scented Turkish bath but, instead of water, I'm full of acid and I'd burn your eyes out without a second thought, given half a chance. I say like as I'm not exactly the same due to my pocket money not covering the necessary costs such a lengthy grouting job would incur so therefore I remain tile-less which makes me a touch sad, if the truth be told.

I seem to remember Keane playing either to the left or the right in a front three at the tail end of last season. He has that ability to come deep to offer another option, then burst up the field to get in a goal scoring position. I don't necessarily think if he came it would mean the end of 433.

I'm a fan of his, even though he does seem to be a bit of a cunt with his near constant complaining.

I've no idea about the veracity of this story (although, unlike some Reds, I do trust Bascombe's integrity). However, Robbis Keane has well and truly won me over over the last couple of seasons at Spurs as their captain. He is fast, skillful, scores goals, works his plums off and has bags of character. He would make a cracking Liverpool player in my opinion and would be the best forward we've signed in a long, long time bar Torres. He's certainly a Red so I can see this coming off if Rafa really is interested.

I think the Beardsley comparison is a relly good one. This lad could have a similar impact. Let's hope we can sign a John Barnes equivalent too.

Chris B seems to be as unreliable as any other Sunday hack these days unfortunatly. Contradicting stories every week and the last 2 "exclusive" regarding Van der Vaart and Keane are more than likely complete bollocks.

Exactly. Last week Rafael Van Der Vaart was our main target and was being lined up to wear the no. 7 shirt while this week it is Keane. Robbie Keane would be an excellent signing, but I honestly can't see us ditching the 4-2-3-1 formation and ending our interest in Gareth Barry.

Barry on the left?

That is a possibility, but he would be wasted out on the left and would offer very little on the left flank. He has thrived in recent years playing as a central midfielder so it would be a strange move. I can't see Rafa changing his 4-2-3-1 philosophy having already signed 2 attacking full backs and presuably having Barry lined up to play as a holding midfielder alongside Mascherano.

We're now playing a 4-4-2 with James Milner on the right, Barry and Downing on the left, a morphing of the two players to create the hybrid version Stuart Brownring - we couldn't possibly play both Barry and Downing in the same position so fusing the two together must be the only solution. We've got Keane up front with Torres. Any more I've missed Rashid, that have been in the papers so they must be true?

Edited by Dirk

Why the fuck would I tell you who I am on an Internet forum. Are you pissed again?

He is not allowed drink, the liver and all that.

I can see Keane it the number 7 shirt and think he would be a great signing but as Ian says the celebrations have to go big time, it is as bad as that blue shite cunt and that is seriously bad.

So yes to him signing and no to the celebrations. I suppose if it brought 19 home I could live with it and how sad is that.

Robbie Keane? Too similar to Craig Bellamy in my opinion. Sorry but we need much better that that, especially for a price that would get Silva or Villa. Keane's the kind of player who needs 5 chances to score one goal - you just don't get that at the highest level. Anyway, he turned us down when he took the money on offer at Leeds, and in my opinion we don't need mercenaries at Liverpool. No thank you.

What happened to the Van der Vaart link, Chris? It's sad to see what has happened to his journalism - I guess writing for a weekly doesn't help, but his stories change every week and are never followed through.

Robbie Keane? Too similar to Craig Bellamy in my opinion. Sorry but we need much better that that, especially for a price that would get Silva or Villa. Keane's the kind of player who needs 5 chances to score one goal - you just don't get that at the highest level. Anyway, he turned us down when he took the money on offer at Leeds, and in my opinion we don't need mercenaries at Liverpool. No thank you.

What happened to the Van der Vaart link, Chris? It's sad to see what has happened to his journalism - I guess writing for a weekly doesn't help, but his stories change every week and are never followed through.

Are you for real? Robbie Keane scored 23 goals last season. When did Craig Bellamy ever score as many as that. Bellamy is a very decent striker who is injury prone and has a suspect temperament. Keane is a proven premiership forward.

I really like Robbie Keane, always have. I'd be made up to see him in our number seven shirt, although when Gav sees this thread he is gonna blow a major gasket.

It mightn't happen, and it may depend on whether Crouch goes there as otherwise the fee would be around £20m. Keane wants to come here, and Rafa is really keen (sorry!) on him.

When we were first linked with Barry I heard Rafa wanted him to play left. Then conflicting reports were coming out, and it was accepted that he was a direct replacement for Xabi. I was still hearing things about him playing on the left, especially as Downing was told we would move for him if we couldn't get Barry. That didn't make sense if Barry was being signed just a centre midfielder.

If we get Keane, then Barry may play mostly on the left I'd say, with Gerrard dropping back. The option is there though for him to play in the middle, Gerrard to stay behind Torres and Keane to play either left or right of Torres.

The signing of Keane would give us various options, as would the signing of Barry, but personally I'd rather keep Alonso and sign Keane. If Barry is being signed to play left, I'd actually rather we went for Downing.

What happened to the Van der Vaart link, Chris?

One of Rafa's staff flew out to watch Holland last week against Russia, and Rafa has a long standing interest in him. I don't know how serious our interest is in him, but he was (is?) one of a number of players being considered

Are you for real? Robbie Keane scored 23 goals last season. When did Craig Bellamy ever score as many as that. Bellamy is a very decent striker who is injury prone and has a suspect temperament. Keane is a proven premiership forward.

Stevie - I thought Bellamy scored over 20 for Blackburn in his last season there? I just don't rate Keane, especially at the kind of price you'd pay for someone like Villa. Teams like Spurs are his level, I'm afraid - a decent premiership player but lacking that extra something. Anyway, as I said, he turned us down before, and took the money from Leeds rather than coming here.

I think Keane is a quality player who would ony improve us.

He makes intelligent runs, scores & creates goals. What more could anyone want from a forward player?

He's also matured a hell of a lot over recent years since being at Spurs which has also improved his game. Not a £20m player mind.

Having signed 2 attacking full backs in Degen and Dossena, then I'm pretty sure that Rafa intends to have a narrow midfield, with the width coming from the 2 full backs. There is the possibility that he could play Gerrard, Mascherano and Barry as a midfield trio with Gerrard having the licence to roam and a front 3 of Keane, Torres and Babel/Kuyt. Rafa tried to play a 4-3-3 away at Reading but perhaps didn't have the personnel that day to make it work.

Stevie - I thought Bellamy scored over 20 for Blackburn in his last season there? I just don't rate Keane, especially at the kind of price you'd pay for someone like Villa. Teams like Spurs are his level, I'm afraid - a decent premiership player but lacking that extra something. Anyway, as I said, he turned us down before, and took the money from Leeds rather than coming here.

I rate Bellamy the footballer and I think he may have scored 20 goals in his last season at Ewood Park. I think he scored 13 league goals in a season where he missed games through injury, but on the whole he has never been a prolific goalscorer. Keane on the other hand has always scored goals and is a very intelligent footballer.