You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BBC headline: DIC to bid for whole club

Neil G

Guest PaddyBerger15
If Hicks wasn't lying, and he really did support the manager (even if that was after a change of heart) and really did want us to start winning the league and so on, he'd need to do a lot more than speak via a third party to the press.

He should be speaking directly, and he should be speaking live, on Radio or TV.

We want honesty, and you don't get that by releasing carefully-worded statements via a PR company, which is what his last two statements have been.

I read somewhere that his statements about Klinsmann were also done in an email, rather than an interview.

He's choosing which questions to answer.

So, if, as unlikely as it seems, he really is Rafa's biggest fan now, and really does want us to win the league, and intends to do all he can to make that happen, why can't he give a live interview?

Because he knows that a half-decent interviewer will trip him up?

The answer Jamesy is....you don't buy a Hermes and bark yourself.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's a great economic model. People are worried that I might take money away from the Rangers to go to Liverpool. It's just the reverse. Liverpool is going to pull off lots of extra money that if I choose I can use for the Rangers or Stars."

Tom Hicks on Liverpool FC

I am sure DIC want to buy the club but Im pretty sure he doesnt want to sell, he's just one stubborn barstard and until the fans make it clear that they dont want him big style then he'll just think he can win us round

He's clearly not interested in winning us around.

He dont care about that one jot.

He cares about money, that's it. So he does want to sell, when he gets what he wants. Hopefully he'll be forced to accept.

If Hicks wasn't lying, and he really did support the manager (even if that was after a change of heart) and really did want us to start winning the league and so on, he'd need to do a lot more than speak via a third party to the press.

He should be speaking directly, and he should be speaking live, on Radio or TV.

We want honesty, and you don't get that by releasing carefully-worded statements via a PR company, which is what his last two statements have been.

I read somewhere that his statements about Klinsmann were also done in an email, rather than an interview.

He's choosing which questions to answer.

So, if, as unlikely as it seems, he really is Rafa's biggest fan now, and really does want us to win the league, and intends to do all he can to make that happen, why can't he give a live interview?

Because he knows that a half-decent interviewer will trip him up?

Good post.

If they do end up staying they need to be more action and less words/spin. Even then it will take a huge turnaround to gain the fans trust.

One thing that puzzles me though, if they were really desperate to get out and sell up, why not just stay in the background? The fact that they were actively involved in vetting a new manager makes me think they're not just thinking short term.

I still dont understand how they expect to make this work?

they're going to be putting debt onto the club which will result in an extra 30-40 million to be paid in interest each year where's that money going to come from?

You can only assume it'll come from TV and CL money or player sales which means there'll be less money for the manager to improve the team. If we dont improve the team we won't be getting CL football never mind challenging for the PL because teams like Man City, Newcastle, Tottenham will be spending big and if we stand still they will overtake us.

How can they make this work without a winning team? or at least a team thats making the CL every season?

Add to that they have a set of fans they're expecting to put money in their pockets that hate them!

Their out of their depth financially if they don't support the manager with big money for the team their investment will quickly be worth next to nothing. I just don't see how they can make it work.

Good post.

If they do end up staying they need to be more action and less words/spin. Even then it will take a huge turnaround to gain the fans trust.

One thing that puzzles me though, if they were really desperate to get out and sell up, why not just stay in the background? The fact that they were actively involved in vetting a new manager makes me think they're not just thinking short term.

You are taking the piss, surely.

You are taking the piss, surely.

With which part?

There's a good chance that they'll stay on, and their approach to Klinsman says to me that they want to be actively involved and not just make a quick few quid and run.

I still dont understand how they expect to make this work?

they're going to be putting debt onto the club which will result in an extra 30-40 million to be paid in interest each year where's that money going to come from?

You can only assume it'll come from TV and CL money or player sales which means there'll be less money for the manager to improve the team. If we dont improve the team we won't be getting CL football never mind challenging for the PL because teams like Man City, Newcastle, Tottenham will be spending big and if we stand still they will overtake us.

How can they make this work without a winning team? or at least a team thats making the CL every season?

Add to that they have a set of fans they're expecting to put money in their pockets that hate them!

Their out of their depth financially if they don't support the manager with big money for the team their investment will quickly be worth next to nothing. I just don't see how they can make it work.

its leeds all over again, with interest that high (should they secure the finance) if we fail to qualify for the CL ONCE and we'll be fucked. its no exaggeration to say this is the biggest crisis in the clubs history. I wanted moores out well careful what you wish for.

THE best thing we can hope for is if the bank declines their application for a loan

"Both Moores, who became honorary life president of Liverpool under the terms of the takeover, and the chief executive, Rick Parry, have blocked attempts to load all of the debt on to the club amid concerns at annual interest payments of £30m. Under the terms of the loan it is anticipated half will be burdened on the club and the rest secured against Kop Holdings, Gillett and Hicks's parent company, although that still represents a U-turn on their promise to use their own funds and not to adopt the Glazers' handling of Manchester United. The Americans will still require a further £300m loan at a later date to complete work on a proposed new stadium."

from Football: Liverpool ponder move to buy out Hicks | News | Guardian Unlimited Football

Hicks added: "I have not received any offer to purchase the club from the DIC or anyone else, much less accepted any such offer. Nor do I have any intention of doing so.

"Whoever is behind this false report, the facts are that I and my family have always been, and remain, fully committed to co-owning the club; that no-one in my family has ever indicated any intention or desire to sell our stake in the club; and that we expect and intend to be co-owners of the club, and to actively and enthusiastically support the club's manager, players and fans for many years to come."

Hicks is a businessman - he is economical with the truth (actually he has probably asset stripped it).

So far nobody has asked them directly about placing debt onto the club which is something they clearly said wouldnt happen and has huge consequences on what we can achieve on the field if 30-40 million each year is being used to pay back these loans you can only assume that will come out of whatever funds are there for players.

My take on it is their out of their depth financially in terms of being able to deliver what we need to challenge for the PL but they understand what their investment could be worth if some how we did have a successful team playing in a 70k stadium.

I think what they fail to understand about the PL is we're going to be struggling to make 4th place if they expect to not invest in the team and without that CL money their plans are up in smoke. But i think that desire to hang on is because they know the potential to make a lot more money is there (even though i dont think they have the personal wealth to make it happen)

It says to me they haven't a clue about football.

There is that as well.

Maybe they've changed their mind since then and the protests, etc, and feel it's more trouble than it's worth, who knows. I just find it hard to believe some of these reports saying they've wanted out for a while, which doesn't tie in with their advances to Klinsman.

"It's a great economic model. People are worried that I might take money away from the Rangers to go to Liverpool. It's just the reverse. Liverpool is going to pull off lots of extra money that if I choose I can use for the Rangers or Stars."

Tom Hicks on Liverpool FC

Can somebody source this for me? Its unbelievable.

its leeds all over again, with interest that high (should they secure the finance) if we fail to qualify for the CL ONCE and we'll be fucked. its no exaggeration to say this is the biggest crisis in the clubs history. I wanted moores out well careful what you wish for.

THE best thing we can hope for is if the bank declines their application for a loan

Surely the banks will take into consideration that one poor season could mean a dramatic fall in income. Not the safest investment in, especially in the current financial climate