You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BBC headline: DIC to bid for whole club

Neil G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deja vu, we were jumping up and down when Kraft wanted to buy us saying its the right decision, but it was a false storm. Im worried this DIC bid will be.

Where the fuck is Gillett in all this...? Its about time the little rat either shit or got off the pot.

The latest Hicks statement sounds to me like it could as much be a message to Gillett as to DIC. All the emphasis is on him and his family, with no mention of the joint ownership arrangement. I know very little about the machinations of the world of high finance, but could Hicks be sounding a warning to Gillett that, if he wants out of the arrangement (or wants if Gillett wants Hicks out of the arrangement) then he and his are not going to be fucked over.

He's in no position to demand a price, this posturing is as close to hardball as he can play.

There was no need for Hicks to respond to the media reports today or ever. In fact he would have been better advised not to respond. Gillett has not responded nor DIC, nor Parry.

The fact that he has responded demonstrates that the reports have touched a nerve - that he feels they will weaken him in someway and quickly - with Gillett or with the bankers - or that they will strengthen DIC's bargaining hand with Gillett.

His response is almost meaningless. If he has not received an offer yet how does he know that he will not sell? If he has not already arranged new finance - and only three days ago he was saying on CNBC that it would be done last week - the last of several failed forecasts - then how does he know he will continue to be "co-owner"?

If DIC do not brush aside this prelimianry defence, then they are not up to the fight . They already made a costly blunder by letting Hicks and Gillet in when DIC failed to make an offer after a very lengthy period of due diligence. While DIC was trying to line up minority equity partners, and were acting as if they already owned the club, Gillett and Hicks moved in swiftly and bought it from under their nose.

NOTE The BBC did not say they had heard the "sick and tired" remark from the family member of one of the owners "last season" as some on here reported, but last November.

could be that Hicks is keeping his options open? If he announced that he was going to sell, or considering selling his stake, might that not jeopardize his possibility of securing a loan?

could be that Hicks is keeping his options open? If he announced that he was going to sell, or considering selling his stake, might that not jeopardize his possibility of securing a loan?

No might about it, he would have no chance of getting it. Dirk made that point earlier.

"Major obstacles remain in the way of DIC gaining a financial interest in Liverpool, however, not least Hicks's insistence that he has no intention of selling up. There is also doubt over Gillett's determination to attempt to oust his business partner by agreeing terms with DIC. Gillett and Hicks both have an option to purchase the other's stake in Liverpool, although the former would require backing from Dubai to achieve that goal."

Football: Liverpool ponder move to buy out Hicks | News | Guardian Unlimited Football

Is there another source for the bit in bold? If true, what Hicks says might be irrelevant.

He can afford us he just does not have enough for a new stadium etc.

I'd take that right now.Somebody who loves the club like I do.Fuck 20m players and all that bullshit.

Lets just have our club back

Yep. Don't see how people can get so excited at the prospect of one bunch of untrustworthy rich cunts buying out another bunch of untrustworthy rich cunts.

Difference is Owen, Gillett and Hicks are nowhere near as rich as DIC. DIC have $5.5 bn in investments alone. That's around 3 1/2 times worth more than what Gillett and Hicks are worth together.

As far as the Glazer takeover is concerned and how the protests made no difference there? The Glazers would have never sacked Ferguson, they've made money available primarily through the club being a self-financed machine, and there was nobody really who could afford to buy United because they are worth a fuckload of money, in real terms and potential.

As far as some of the people who just go crestfallen as soon as he makes a statement. FFS, this cunt is going to keep on saying no because he must, or he'll look like an ever greater pillock. I trust Dave and Bascombe far more than I trust Rashid, Gillett or Hicks, and if Dave and Bascombe say there's something going on with DIC, I believe them.

Its quite clear to me DIC would actually "invest" money in the club and players and then if they sold us on we would of been invested in and would be in a better position and thats there perogative as long as we have progressed.

These two clowns dont want to invest anything and make money off us like Hicks has in the past off numerous 'brands'.

I hope they go, im praying they do.

I have a bad feeling that Hicks is going to dig his heels in. Gillett just seems to be a non-event in all this, it's Hick's making most of the noise. The thing is, if Rafa and Hicks both stand firm, who blinks first?

The Yanks are in it to make money, nothing else, money. And not just a few more million each by selling now, they're going to stick around till there's a lot more money in their pockets I reckon.

G and H are going to be here for a while longer.

I have a bad feeling that Hicks is going to dig his heels in. Gillett just seems to be a non-event in all this, it's Hick's making most of the noise. The thing is, if Rafa and Hicks both stand firm, who blinks first?

The Yanks are in it to make money, nothing else, money. And not just a few more million each by selling now, they're going to stick around till there's a lot more money in their pockets I reckon.

G and H are going to be here for a while longer.

No they wont-we will drive the fuckers out.

I love how a few people will just keep triping up with 'Oh no nothing doing, they're here to stay' not because it's what they believe but because I guess for them it's more fun to go against the grain.

I don't know whether they'll leave no or not, but if they receive a suitable offer, I think they'd prefer to get out sooner than later, Hicks at least for sure.

Difference is Owen, Gillett and Hicks are nowhere near as rich as DIC. DIC have $5.5 bn in investments alone. That's around 3 1/2 times worth more than what Gillett and Hicks are worth together.

As far as the Glazer takeover is concerned and how the protests made no difference there? The Glazers would have never sacked Ferguson, they've made money available primarily through the club being a self-financed machine, and there was nobody really who could afford to buy United because they are worth a fuckload of money, in real terms and potential.

As far as some of the people who just go crestfallen as soon as he makes a statement. FFS, this cunt is going to keep on saying no because he must, or he'll look like an ever greater pillock. I trust Dave and Bascombe far more than I trust Rashid, Gillett or Hicks, and if Dave and Bascombe say there's something going on with DIC, I believe them.

I'm not disputing the fact that G&H are the bad guys, or that they need to be sacked off, but who's to say DIC will be any better? And that question can't just be answered by "but they're richer." Rash seems giddy at the thought of the club being turned into another Chelsea - fair enough, that's what he's always wanted. I can't be the only one who doesn't want to see that, though.

I'm not disputing the fact that G&H are the bad guys, or that they need to be sacked off, but who's to say DIC will be any better? And that question can't just be answered by "but they're richer." Rash seems giddy at the thought of the club being turned into another Chelsea - fair enough, that's what he's always wanted. I can't be the only one who doesn't want to see that, though.

You're not.

The thing I want out of this is owners that aren't really shit at owning and running a football club.

We won't be another Chelsea, there's no chance we'll be run like that. I'd venture to guess something more along the lines of how Lerner is managing Villa, like a proper investment but as a football club at the same time.

Obviously the level of investment would be higher etc etc.

Owen, I don't discount you thinking that G+H are the bad guys either, however I don't think they're rich, and I don't think DIC are untrustworthy.