You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BBC headline: DIC to bid for whole club

Neil G

Does seem strange. I wonder if they are talking about takeover price plus the finance for teh stadium?

Has not any one confirmed this. Of course they are talking about the sum of all number they can think of. Remember last time it was 450. With the increase in stadium estimates they are probably offering less than before and will get knocked back unless the yanks really cant come up with the financing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because he's keeping his mouth shut? I don't trust the cunt. He's lied as much as the other one, and he was at that meeting with Klinsmann.

Exactly. Gillette is the one who is close to Klinsmann. Hicks is a mouthy twat, but Gillette is the more clever, snidey one.

I think that they will take the money, reasons being,

1. They will show a profit of £50 million each for less than 12 months ownership.

2. If they borrow £350 m to repay the original loan plus enough to start the new stadium,

that will have to be paid back with intrest.

3. If they sack Rafa in the summer the team will go backwards whoever takes over and they will put a spending limit on new signings thus putting us further behind the other big three and thus us not being in any position to challenge for trophys.

4. The fans fucking hate them and just want them out of the club.

5.they will probably both have to live for another 50 years to see a £50 m return so it makes sense to take it now .

That`s what I hope anyway, please , please, please any god thats listning.

I trust Shifty McShifty - the shiftiest man in the world before you Rash. ;)

Apart from not trusting Rash, I see it as you do Col. The Canadian article issued earlier today talks of Gillets emotional 'investment' in the Montreal NHL team and I, perhaps wrongly again, believe he has a different agenda to Hicks. He wants to make money, but he wants to buy into the whole fan thing too. That said, it's allperhaps gone too far now for Gillet to stay. But if he did Id give him the benefit.

Apart from not trusting Rash, I see it as you do Col. The Canadian article issued earlier today talks of Gillets emotional 'investment' in the Montreal NHL team and I, perhaps wrongly again, believe he has a different agenda to Hicks. He wants to make money, but he wants to buy into the whole fan thing too. That said, it's allperhaps gone too far now for Gillet to stay. But if he did Id give him the benefit.

Precisely Coppster. George Gillette has always come across as the real "fan" of the two.

My no mistake whoever (DIC?) gets it right with LFC will make a huge amount of cash. We've been run like corner shop rather than one of the greatest football teams in the world.

Precisely Coppster. George Gillette has always come across as the real "fan" of the two.

My no mistake whoever (DIC?) gets it right with LFC will make a huge amount of cash. We've been run like corner shop rather than one of the greatest football teams in the world.

He made the charity shield in 06, so has been interested for a while. But he must have known what Hicks was like. unless cutting and running was always their plan ?

As for LFC, I think Pauls mail was spot on. We were undervalued last summer, and even at 500m will proabbaly prove to be a snip. So yeah, your right, run us properly, maximise our returns and we'll hopefully have both a succesfull business and footie team.

BTW oooh 86 dup final on LFC tv now, or shold I watch Nick Skelton hmmm

Guest Caffreys

Evening all, first post to the site however been a regular visitor for over 2 years.

It appears to me that talks are at a delicate stage and has been indicated earlier why would DIC go public if they had not yet held detailed discussions with Gordon Gecco and his chum. The more I see it the more I believe the Klinsmann interview with Tony Barrett was a pre-determined act. I am also of the opinion that Moores and Parry have now chosen the side they're backing and it's not the American's anymore. The revised BBC report this evening contains information that only someone on the inside would know. And it's been 9 hours since Football Focus and no denial from any party.

If those in the know are to be believed (and Rash seems to be fairly confident - your posts have been must read's today with your little teaser's) we may not be far from the promised land. I suppose it's more conjecture between ourselves for the next couple of hours before we wait for the Sunday's to be broadcast. All I hope is that I go to bed tonight in a more positive frame of mind than I did last night.

How many times will the DIC 7-year exit plan have to be explained? Its annoying to see it continually misrepresented.

It was not a statement of intent to exit. It was an investment analysis drawn up for potential investors showing them when they might expect a return large enough to justify an exit, if that is what they wanted.

The more interesting question is why DIC was looking for investors even before they had made an offer to Moores and the other shareholders. Some might see it as a negative. I see it as a positive. They would still have control by limiting other shareholders to 35%. They would reduce their own equity investment.

They would then be able to finance transfers as Moores used to do - by providing the club with loans. Everyone talks about Moores providing money from his own pocket. He didn't. He lent money and got back all his loans with interest when he sold out to H & G.

I do not accept Rashid's explanation that DIC denied the existence of a 7 year investment plan - they simply said it did not represent their intention to exit in 7 years.

And his statement that the plan was created by a rival consortium is just daft.

If DIC come in then there has to be no more Kuyt or Pennant. There simply has to be more of the likes of Torres.

Rafa needs to spend more wisely. We can beat Man Utd and Chelsea. However we need to be smarter than them. They can afford to waste £10m+, we can't.

Shankly did it, and Paisley too. It can be done.

This is from that guy who had a guided tour of Anfield etc with Gillett a few months ago. So I'd say he is in the know.

Gillett, Hicks marriage set to end in sale of Liverpool's beloved club

STEPHEN BRUNT

sbrunt@globeandmail.com

E-mail Stephen Brunt | Read Bio | Latest Columns

January 19, 2008

Suffice it to say, there is trouble in paradise.

The partnership between George Gillett and Tom Hicks, the Americans who own the Liverpool soccer club, is in severe distress.

It's a safe bet the team's immediate future might involve one of them, or the other - or it might involve neither. But it almost certainly won't involve both.

When they purchased the club a little less than a year ago, Gillett and Hicks had to know they were in for a bumpy ride. Other outsiders had already made their way along that perilous path - most notably the reviled Glazer family with Manchester United and Russian zillionaire Roman Abramovich with Chelsea, who at least bought love by winning silverware - but still there remains that tinge of suspicion bordering on xenophobia any time outsiders grab a piece of England's national game.

Liverpool, with its glorious history and with its distinct local culture, would arguably present an even greater challenge than the other clubs. From the outset, the battle for scouser acceptance was an uphill battle, with the local press jumping on any suggestion the Americans didn't fully comprehend the game or its idiosyncratic business and didn't share the supporters' undying passion.

Gillett at least understood that kind of dynamic, having gone through much the same thing when he bought the Montreal Canadiens. He managed to defuse most of the resistance there by hiring good, unimpeachable people to run the team and by approaching the whole cultural issue from a posture of humility.

With Liverpool, his son, Foster, moved to the city full-time to help run the team, just as he had previously moved to Montreal, and though George Gillett quickly stopped talking to the local press, he stayed visible among the fans, employing his considerable charm toward convincing the supporter base that his heart was in the right place.

For Hicks, though, who owns the Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball and the Dallas Stars of the NHL, this was all new territory, and he stepped into trouble again and again. Much of the most recent media firestorm in Britain, including the admission the owners had dallied with Jurgen Klinsmann (who subsequently accepted the job of managing Bayern Munich beginning next season) while Rafael Benitez was still under contract as the Liverpool manager, can be laid at Hicks's feet.

That clash in styles - as much as the oft-reported question of the club's refinancing in order to underwrite the construction of a new, much larger stadium to replace the fabled Anfield - seems to be at the heart of the current ownership crisis.

It is highly likely that by next week it will be announced the owners' refinancing plan has been completed - a tricky proposition in these times of tight credit - allowing Liverpool both to turn sod for the new stadium this coming summer, with opening scheduled for 2011, and to be active participants in the transfer market going forward. The extra seats and extra revenue possibilities of the new Anfield will allow whoever owns the team to proceed from a position of strength in the ultracompetitive upper echelon of the English Premier League.

But just who is that going to be?

It's an open question right now. Hicks and Gillett are equal partners. The first option will be for one to buy the other out - whether Hicks's heart is still in the game is difficult to judge, but Gillett at very least seems interested in continuing his association with soccer, either at Liverpool or elsewhere, where he might invest the proceeds of a buyout.

If either is seeking a new partner, there are a plenty of available candidates waiting in the wings, including Dubai Investment Capital, which was beaten to the punch by the Americans last year. Similarly, if both Hicks's and Gillett's share goes on the open market, there would be no shortage of interested buyers, and the Americans could be expected to claim a healthy return on their initial investment.

But the sense is that Gillett, if he has his druthers, would prefer to hang in - and if it's in a buyout scenario, almost certainly with a new partner.

That might not be the perfect ending for the hardcore Liverpool loyalists, who no doubt dream of having one of their own sitting in the front row of the directors' box, someone who has lived and breathed the team and the city his or her entire life.

But assuming that that's a fantasy now, that the choice is between one American, another American, and the investment arm of an oil-rich Arab emirate, it shouldn't really be so tough.

A hockey fan in Montreal could tell them they could do much worse.