You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BBC headline: DIC to bid for whole club

Neil G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the fans can make an impact on LFC like never before over the coming days.

The club's future is genuinely on a knife-edge, and if there is even any doubt in the Yanks' minds that they should take the proffit and run - they need to be made aware that there is no going back for them and that relationships can't be repaired, that they should take what they have and go.

With regards DIC coming back with the increased bid, I obviously don't know much about the personalities behind them but I'd suggest you don't get that rich without being something of an egomaniac.

Being beaten by the yanks in the first place may have lit the touchpaper, while seeing banners such as DIC SOS being shown halfway across the world could have had some impact, in fact I'm convinced they did.

Now's the time for the fans to tip the balance and make it happen, because it just needs a little push - I'm convinced of it.

If this I genuine, I'd be stunned if The Twats said no - Gillett especially, who is oft reputed to be asset rich but cash poor. £500m is an incredible return after just a year - almost a 100% profit for something they didn't actually stump up any cash for.

To those questioning the size of the offer, I wrote at length last week about why we are undervalued and how we have the greatest potential of any club in world football to make money for an investor. If they do buy us, I'd be stunned if they didn't follow up with significant investment in a stadium and, more importantly for the short term, the team. It wouldn't make sense not to if they want to add value to their purchase.

Unfortunately they won't be there though. Gillett and Hicks are safe and sound on the other side of the Atlantic.

Gillett Jr will be there, and you can bne sure they'll either watch the match or read press reports. If we demonstrate loudly enough they'll 'hear' it.

Unfortunately they won't be there though. Gillett and Hicks are safe and sound on the other side of the Atlantic.

It doesn't matter, it'll make news no matter where they are.

The fans are central to any long-term money making strategy they have, if the fans aren't onboard then the game is up, it's as simple as that.

These fellas are so comprehensivley out of their depth it's untrue.

Why not? Do you think they want the hassle of building a new stadium which has escalated in cost together with the difficulty that they have had with the refinancing package, not to mention the criticism and protests from the fans. If they can each pocket £75m they will be on their way.

In relation to Why Not, i think the answer is simply because they don't have too. With regard to the stadium and the rising costs i think they're very close to securing the finance, which will be loaded onto the club. DIC know this and their offer to me smacks of a last desperate "shit or bust" throw of the dice. In relation to the protests i honestly think they couldn't give a sloppy fart what we think. Finally i think they will view 75 mill as small potatos to what they can/will eventually make. Sorry to be negative Stevie but it's what i honestly think. I pray to God almighty that i'm wrong.

In relation to Why Not, i think the answer is simply because they don't have too. With regard to the stadium and the rising costs i think they're very close to securing the finance, which will be loaded onto the club. DIC know this and their offer to me smacks of a last desperate "shit or bust" throw of the dice. In relation to the protests i honestly think they couldn't give a sloppy fart what we think. Finally i think they will view 75 mill as small potatos to what they can/will eventually make. Sorry to be negative Stevie but it's what i honestly think. I pray to God almighty that i'm wrong.

You're probably right. Unfortunaly.

it would be gauling if the americans get a massive payoff because that same money could have been spent on the stadium or team investment, i wonder how DIC propose to structure the deal and what their plans are if it costs them a bomb to buy the yanks out. Moores should have gone with them (sigh)

In relation to Why Not, i think the answer is simply because they don't have too. With regard to the stadium and the rising costs i think they're very close to securing the finance, which will be loaded onto the club. DIC know this and their offer to me smacks of a last desperate "shit or bust" throw of the dice. In relation to the protsts i honestly think they couldn't give a sloppy fart what we thinl and finally i think they will view 75 mill as small potatos to what they can/will eventually make. Sorry to be negative Stevie but it's what i honestly think. I pray to God almighty that i'm wrong.

They may be close to securing a finance package, but the stadium design has not been finalised and they have not agreed an AMP (agreed maximum price) with a contractor for the stadium. An Architect will be able to provide approximate costs based on what they have designed, but it is the Laing O'Rourke's of this world who will be tendering for this work & the value of the risk elements that they will build into their tender will be massive. The actual cost of the stadium could still be £50-100m+ over & above what Gillett and Hicks have budgeted for.

I agree that they couldn't care about protests as they are hard nosed businessman and won't be directly affected as they live across the Atlantic. It would be water off a ducks back to them. They needn't step foot in this country ever again, let alone the city of Liverpool. When has Malcolm Glazer ever visited Old Trafford?

I believe that this has come to a head & I can see Gillett and Hicks ending their association with the club sooner rather than later.

Hope this happens. I don't think G&H have the clout to do what is needed, to say nothing of their tendency to shoot from the hip (Hicks in particular).

DIC will be businesslike, and will want to see a profit, but you get the impression that they will go about things in a different way to G&H. Fingers crossed.

If DIC get control, I'd imagine Parry will be off, and probably Moores too, given the problems with him/DIC first time around.

I certainly don't see how Parry could stay. I don't think the fans' unrest would be quietened until he's gone. The "Parry don't care about fans" ditty would aired at most games. Anyhow Barwick can't be long for the FA job. Send Parry back there.

I certainly don't see how Parry could stay. I don't think the fans' unrest would be quietened until he's gone. The "Parry don't care about fans" ditty would aired at most games. Anyhow Barwick can't be long for the FA job. Send Parry back there.

Parry's sacking should be filmed on a webcam and posted on Al Jazeera.

it would be gauling if the americans get a massive payoff because that same money could have been spent on the stadium or team investment, i wonder how DIC propose to structure the deal and what their plans are if it costs them a bomb to buy the yanks out. Moores should have gone with them (sigh)

Don't tell me the French are getting involved as well...

I don't believe that DIC would have informed anyone what price they were prepared to offer - even off the record. That is not the way this type of business is done and there is no advantage to DIC in so doing and considerable disadvantage. I also think the price of 500 is unrealistic.

If they have decided to make an offer for 100%, at whatever price, it could be a good tactical move in order to get at least 50%. This approach does not depend on Gillett taking the initiative to offer to buy out Hicks with DIC financial backing. They both would need to consider the offer and do it together especially if the offer was for 100% and no less.

In that context Gillett and Hicks are free to negotiate with each other. I guess their agreement gives each one of them first option to buy the shares of the other - which means at least matching the price being offered by a third party. Neither of them can afford to do that. So this would mean that both would be free to try to get DIC to accept their 50%.

at 500m DIC arent buying the club to make a profit IMO.

Hicks would be made not to accept nearly 200m dollars profit when he wont make that much profit even if he builds the stadiums and runs it for a few years.

I believe Gillett is in it for the long term and his son to run it long term. I also believe Hicks is in it for the money.

So that might explain why DIC originally wanted to buy half as it might be Gillett who is actually the unwilling seller in all of this

I would presume its all going to be sorted in the next 10 days

While I agree that Gillett wanted to stay long term and was prepared to go through a learning curve and to be hands-off, that scenario has been ruined by Hicks. Gillett can recover if he becomes a minority partner with DIC, but there are unknown risks in that for him. And, in the end, he is in it for the money, too. And in investment there is a saying that its never wrong to take a profit.

Gillett wanted to buy Villa and sussed out other teams before he made an offer for Liverpool. He might be better off taking his profit from DIC and making a play for another "soccer franchise" elsewhere.

I share a similar opinion/fear - like many of us I guess.

However, one question.

If they are so sure of the long term returns, why the reluctance to put in a bit of their own money to secure the necessary loans (as little as £20m some reports would have us believe)?

That points to short-termism to me.

If they are so sure of the long term returns, why the reluctance to put in a bit of their own money to secure the necessary loans (as little as £20m some reports would have us believe)?

Agree with that, they're not empire builders they're speculators.

I share a similar opinion/fear - like many of us I guess.

However, one question.

Very good point. Unless of course they dont have 20m. They would then need finance to secure the deposit. Very messy.