You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle - 6.5/10 (8.5 for kids and for Karen Gillan dressed as Lara Croft).

Took my nieces (7 and 9) to see Around The World In 80 Days at The Lowry last night, only to discover on arrival that half of the cast had gone down with the lurgy and it was cancelled. So cinema it was. Decent enough kids film with enough adult humour to keep adults interested as well.

• Upvote 1

The Great Wall - Fantasy action film mostly funded by China starring Matt Damon taking on monsters attacking the Great Wall of China - who says no? Well, you should. Only about 100 minutes long this is flimsy film-making at its worst. Damon looks bored, the story is non-existent, the action scenes are dull and the plot isn't bonkers enough, which you need in a film like this. Jing Tian, who played the female lead, was good and fairly charismatic, and exceptionally pretty, and Pedro Pascal (Oberyn in GoT) and Willem Defoe are wasted in supporting roles. I don't why this film exists or why it got made. If you make a film like this you either have to have a great script or make it as nuts as possible; this was neither. 3 out of 10.

Guest Pistonbroke

Wanted. 4/10

If you try not to take it seriously and for what it is, it's still CGI laden bullshit with a weak and clunky script. Angelina Jolie looks like she was going through an anorexic stage in her life when this was made and not even Morgan Freeman can notch up the ratings. 

What We do in The Shadows 8/10.

Started watching this a couple of months ago after watching The Hunt for The Wilderpeople but got bored after a slow start. Went back last night and sat through it all and its superb. Very funny,very dark and very original. Calling it a comedy horror mockumentary doesn't do it enough justice.

Boy is next on my list of Taika Waititi's films.

Guest Pistonbroke

John Wick Chapter 2. 

77 dead assassins out of 100. 

Thought they spent too much time getting to the main plot and it was a bit slow, once it got there though it was action all the way. Decent watch and set up nicely for more blood and violence in chapter 3. 

The Disaster Artist- poignant, hilarious, hugely entertaining- 8.5/10.

Good film, that. I still want to watch The Room to see how bad it really is. But then again I don't want to waste two hours!

It’s still enjoyable TK because it’s Star Wars. It’s just a bit shit. The acting is a bit ham to begin with for me. I don’t know whether I just got used to it or it improved but it became less of an issue as the film went on. It rescues itself with its action but the comedy in it really harms it. Without giving anything away I felt Kylo Ren was a much better character/used a lot better in this film.

It’s still enjoyable TK because it’s Star Wars. It’s just a bit shit. The acting is a bit ham to begin with for me. I don’t know whether I just got used to it or it improved but it became less of an issue as the film went on. It rescues itself with its action but the comedy in it really harms it. Without giving anything away I felt Kylo Ren was a much better character/used a lot better in this film.

First two sentences made me laugh.  Good juxtaposition.

I will obviously watch it but my enthusiasm is dwindling the more films they release.

I don't like the sound of "comedy".  Star Wars is serious business (with a light smattering of laughs and no more). 

Oh dear. Can you say why, without revealing anything about the plot, characters or any other salient details?

I won’t expand until a few more have seen it. But I’m going to revise my score to a 5 and I think I may be being generous.

Mates who I went with are serious Star Wars geeks and they think it could be worse than the phantom menace!!! I’m not aboard that train like, but I am seriously disappointed in it.

If it was a stand alone film not a Star Wars film i would better receive it, but it’s not.

I gotta disagree on the humour side though, some of this was really fun and didn’t take itself too serious. You’re right about Kylo though, he steals the show in this.

I just don’t see how people are saying it could be the best ever Star Wars film. But then again, I’m in a very select group who think ROTJ is the best!!

When are you going to see it?

I will wait for a decent free copy online like the tramp I am.  It didn't take long for acceptable versions of The Force Awakens to start appearing.