You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Boston Strangler - couldn’t get asleep last night so came back down, scanned through hundreds of channels of shite on sky then came across this on some obscure movie channel.

What a film, brilliant acting, scene setting and more importantly story telling. The late 60’s and early 70’s were a golden age for cops and baddie movies.

Even though this was made in 1968, their was an important message telling us about the perils of society not dealing with mental health problems early which still rings true today. 8/10

Checked up on this case as I only had knowledge of it from the killlers monicker (which says it all) and there’s a lot more intrigue with this case that still raises elements of doubt today. Even more stunning was that ‘the strangler’ wasn’t actually charged with any of the murders.

• Upvote 1

The Boston Strangler - couldn’t get asleep last night so came back down, scanned through hundreds of channels of shite on sky then came across this on some obscure movie channel.

What a film, brilliant acting, scene setting and more importantly story telling. The late 60’s and early 70’s were a golden age for cops and baddie movies.

Even though this was made in 1968, their was an important message telling us about the perils of society not dealing with mental health problems early which still rings true today. 8/10

Checked up on this case as I only had knowledge of it from the killlers monicker (which says it all) and there’s a lot more intrigue with this case that still raises elements of doubt today. Even more stunning was that ‘the strangler’ wasn’t actually charged with any of the murders.

What is it about? 

Started watching Jim & Andy on Netflix last night, documentary film about Jim Carrey playing Andy Kaufman in the film Man on the Moon.  Only managed to get halfway through due to a sick daughter vomiting all over her room but definitely following it up tonight.  Surreal in parts, heartbreaking in others and chaotic throughout.  Jim Carrey is quite candid in his interview.  Always thought he was slightly unhinged but this just blows my mind about the extremes he goes to in his personal and professional life.  Danny De Vito just looks exasperated during filming and the director begging Carrey to just do what he needs him to do.  Some quite fantastic behind the scenes footage.  Jerry Lawler fucking hated it all and goes for Carrey a couple of times, who must have loved it.

At the halfway point 8.5/10.

Top notch if very uncomfortable viewing.

Jim Carrey is either a great bloke or nuts. I'm not sure which

9/10

Brilliant film easily Tony Curtis's best performance......well at least on a par with his performance in The Persuaders

I guess you caught it on 343 which is Talking Pictures, great little channel is that shows loads of obscure movies that don't get shown much anymore

Watched Interstellar again last night. Not a fan of sic-fi but I love this film. Matthew McConaughey is brilliant in it. Actually really like him as an actor. Great in The Lincoln Lawyer and Dallas Buyers Club. Great cameo in Wolf of Wall Street as well. 

9/10 for Intersteller. Might have voted it an 8 last time but I got more out of it last night. 

• Upvote 1

Brilliant film easily Tony Curtis's best performance......well at least on a par with his performance in The Persuaders

I guess you caught it on 343 which is Talking Pictures, great little channel is that shows loads of obscure movies that don't get shown much anymore

Was a great film and way ahead of its time. Especially the bit where the newscaster goes live to Henry Fonda in the cop shop and we're viewing it on the 50 inch widescreen in the news studio.

Looks a decent channel this Talking Pictures, they had a run of Laurel & Hardy films on a few months ago that id recorded but lost them all when we upgraded to SKYQ. Gonna have a search when I get home tonight to see if they're repeated.

• Upvote 1

Was a great film and way ahead of its time. Especially the bit where the newscaster goes live to Henry Fonda in the cop shop and we're viewing it on the 50 inch widescreen in the news studio.

Looks a decent channel this Talking Pictures, they had a run of Laurel & Hardy films on a few months ago that id recorded but lost them all when we upgraded to SKYQ. Gonna have a search when I get home tonight to see if they're repeated.

Been watching the Laurel and Hardy films myself, oh and don't worry they get repeated all the time.

• Upvote 2

Blade Runner 2049.

Wow. Just blown away by how good this is. If it was an original film I would have been flabbergasted. The fact that it's a sequel - which in this day and age is rarely a good thing - is simply astonishing. To think that Ridley Scott followed the Alien movie he made with Prometheus and the last Alien movie, both of which he directed. The fact that although quite good, they are nowhere near this suggests perhaps he should be handing the directorial reins to someone else for any future Alien Films.

10/10 doesn't do this film justice. It is quite simply perfect.

Justice League 7/10

After reading some reviews I was expecting an absolute shite-fest but to be fair it wasn’t actually that bad.

An improvement on Batman vs Superman (I know that isn’t really saying a great deal) and wasn’t too long or short. 2 hours running time worked well.

Barry Allen (or The Flash) stole every scene he was in. Aquaman was a bit shit as expected but the rest weren’t all that bad.

Not actually as bad* as I thought it would be and I’d probably watch it again. Loved the little nods in places to the Tim Burton Batman score.

Lastly pissed myself a few times at a certain someone’s CGI top lip, without giving any spoilers away.

*Great endorsement, right?

Watched Interstellar again last night. Not a fan of sic-fi but I love this film. Matthew McConaughey is brilliant in it. Actually really like him as an actor. Great in The Lincoln Lawyer and Dallas Buyers Club. Great cameo in Wolf of Wall Street as well. 

9/10 for Intersteller. Might have voted it an 8 last time but I got more out of it last night.

Watched it again although can’t remember watching it the first time. Good deep film. More to it than first glance.

Really brave of Matthew McConaughey to refuse loads of scripts for years as he had been typecast in the rom-com role and wanted to break free of it. It could have easily ended his career but he showed he has the chops and fair play to him. Class actor and I have enjoyed the majority of his movies. I remember him in A Time To Kill and he should have carried on down that kind of route and that probably would have led quicker to where he is now but I expect he doesn't have many regrets about it now.

Started watching Jim & Andy on Netflix last night, documentary film about Jim Carrey playing Andy Kaufman in the film Man on the Moon. Only managed to get halfway through due to a sick daughter vomiting all over her room but definitely following it up tonight. Surreal in parts, heartbreaking in others and chaotic throughout. Jim Carrey is quite candid in his interview. Always thought he was slightly unhinged but this just blows my mind about the extremes he goes to in his personal and professional life. Danny De Vito just looks exasperated during filming and the director begging Carrey to just do what he needs him to do. Some quite fantastic behind the scenes footage. Jerry Lawler fucking hated it all and goes for Carrey a couple of times, who must have loved it.

At the halfway point 8.5/10.

Just finished watching it. Carrey is very honest and appears to be very downbeat on his career and life. He's appears to suffer from some form of minor personality disorder as in he's either being a massive personality which feeds off peoples reactions to him or quite sullen and introspective.

The way he stayed in character throughout, even when portraying the cancer stage was equally impressive and strange. I genuinely believe his behaviour on set was not him being a 'cunt' but him manifesting the characters he was playing and maybe actually believing he was them at certain points.

Guest Pistonbroke

The Punisher (2004 Film) 5.5/10

Watched this to get the gist of the new series on Netflix. The original film (based on the Marvel comic) is bang average though. Weak plot which is a bit of a mess at times, bang average humour and silly fight/killing scenes. There is also a second film 'The Punisher Warzone' from  2008 which I'll probably have to watch now before dipping into the TV series, which is hopefully a cut above the earlier stuf. 

The Punisher (2004 Film) 5.5/10

Watched this to get the gist of the new series on Netflix. The original film (based on the Marvel comic) is bang average though. Weak plot which is a bit of a mess at times, bang average humour and silly fight/killing scenes. There is also a second film 'The Punisher Warzone' from 2008 which I'll probably have to watch now before dipping into the TV series, which is hopefully a cut above the earlier stuf.

If you want to see something before watching the Punisher watch the Daredevil tv series first. Its 2 seasons but covers far better than the films
  • Upvote 1