You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Captain Fantastic. 10/10

Wow! Taking a part of the title and calling it Fantastic, is doing this film a disservice. Funny, sad, thoughtful. heartwarming - an absolute joy to watch.

Viggo Mortensen was excellent , as were the entire cast who played his family. The score was perfect and the direction was superb. If you watch one film for the remaining part of this year, make sure this is it. 

And I take everything back I said the other day in here about American films. If America can pull this kind of film out more often, then the american film industry may still have some life in the old dog yet. 

The best film I've seen this year. 

• Upvote 1

Adam Curtis's 'HyperNormalisation'. Nearly three hours on BBC iPlayer being told that we're pretty fucked and there's not a lot we can do about it. A lot of the stuff we already know but it is so well made in that watchable, archive news video method that Curtis employs that it's never less than interesting.

Captain Fantastic. 10/10

Wow! Taking a part of the title and calling it Fantastic, is doing this film a disservice. Funny, sad, thoughtful. heartwarming - an absolute joy to watch.

Viggo Mortensen was excellent , as were the entire cast who played his family. The score was perfect and the direction was superb. If you watch one film for the remaining part of this year, make sure this is it. 

And I take everything back I said the other day in here about American films. If America can pull this kind of film out more often, then the american film industry may still have some life in the old dog yet. 

The best film I've seen this year. 

Agree with all that although while watching it the missus pissed me off as she said "is that the bloke from Lord of the Rings or it the one from Batman (Aaron Eckhart) I can never tell them apart"...to which I replied "it's dead easy to tell them apart Viggo can act"

• Upvote 1

Agree with all that although while watching it the missus pissed me off as she said "is that the bloke from Lord of the Rings or it the one from Batman (Aaron Eckhart) I can never tell them apart"...to which I replied "it's dead easy to tell them apart Viggo can act"

Ha! There is 'World of Woman' material in there. 

Boss film it has to be said. The more I think about it, the more I can't get over how good all the kids acting was. I genuinely bought into everyone of their characters. Epic piece of film making. 

Adam Curtis's 'HyperNormalisation'. Nearly three hours on BBC iPlayer being told that we're pretty fucked and there's not a lot we can do about it. A lot of the stuff we already know but it is so well made in that watchable, archive news video method that Curtis employs that it's never less than interesting.

Watched this last night.

Good, but The Power of Nightmares and Bitter Lake top it, for me.

He was a bit of a lunatic, but watching it made me feel a little bit sorry for old Muammar Gaddafi. His eccentricity was used and exploited by the West, with it all eventually coming to a head with him getting arse raped by a gun.

• Upvote 1

The Jungle book, I thought this was great 7/10

How to be single 6/10, the story itself moved along nicely, although the fat blonde girl in it continuously tried to derail it with uncomfortably forced humour that brain dead morons will absolutely lap up, they'll probably say she was this best thing in the movie, she wasn't. Leslie Mann is brilliant in it, she's one of my favourite actresses.

Goodfellas 10/10, obviously, perfect.

The Greasy Strangler

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4381236/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Certainly not for everyone but for me surprisingly enjoyable. If you are a fan of repulsive, gross, black comedy like 'League of Gentleman' with a wacky soundtrack then this may be for you. While watching I laughed out loud several times but wondered that the two central roles would have perfectly suited Vic and Bob's character's 'Tom Fun & Derek'. I'm surprised I wasn't kicked out of my lodgings for laughing so loudly. If you get past the early vending machine scene and aren't already laughing I'd bail it.

7 Janet's out of 10.

The Greasy Strangler

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4381236/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Certainly not for everyone but for me surprisingly enjoyable. If you are a fan of repulsive, gross, black comedy like 'League of Gentleman' with a wacky soundtrack then this may be for you. While watching I laughed out loud several times but wondered that the two central roles would have perfectly suited Vic and Bob's character's 'Tom Fun & Derek'. I'm surprised I wasn't kicked out of my lodgings for laughing so loudly. If you get past the early vending machine scene and aren't already laughing I'd bail it.

7 Janet's out of 10.

'I call bullshit artist !'
  • Upvote 1

Me Before You - 9/10.

Very good film. Don't know if it's living overseas, but I loved watching a film set back home (think it was actually shot in Pembrokeshire, not 100% sure on that). Anyway, they really developed the two main characters very well and it was fascinating to see the interaction between an optimist and a cynic, albeit a cynic with a life shattering experience behind him.

I won't spoil the ending if you haven't seen it, but it prompted a good discussion between me and Mrs G.

Don't breathe. 7/10. Not bad and quite tense thriller. Bunch of kids break into a house of an ex army dude who's blind in order to rob a load of money they believe he has. Things go wrong.

Bone Tomahawk. 7/10. I love a good Cowie and Kurt Russell is made for westerns. This one is a bit of a western/horror slow burner but overall quite good. One seen made me wince, which is good.