You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Martian-6/10 didn't find any of the attempts at humour funny and a bit dull

Shutter island -9/10 loved it loved the twists at the end could rewatch with a totally different perspective

I think Shutter Island's one of the few examples where the film actually has a pretty key advantage over the book.

When the names are spelt out in the book, it becomes fairly easy to deduce they're anagrams, which gives away the twist far too early.

Shane Black is only in it so he could do uncredited rewrites on location.

There's a photo going around of Jean Claude Van Damme (presumably during pre-production) trying on an early predator prototype suggesting he was originally going to be in the film but for whatever reason they changed the design and I don't think he played a part.

Van Damme left over the suit (according to him), he thought he'd get more exposure, he didn't realise nobody would see him, the mask was initially more human-like. He also didn't realise he'd be invisible for half the movie. Van Damme threw a massive strop and the rows escalated. He then refused to carry out a stunt due to safety concerns, he was correct, the stuntman that they brought in broke his leg and production was temporarily shutdown. During the break McTiernan hired Kevin Peter Hall and Van Damme didn't return.

Den Of Geek had an interesting article about the production and a couple of people, including Arnie, called Van Damme a relentless complainer.

• Upvote 3

The Lobster.

Bonkers but hugely enjoyable. Colin Farrell is ace in it. 8/10

Watched it and thought the first half was great, it ran out of steam a bit after that for me.

I really liked the music in it though and some research has led me to Stravinsky's pieces for string quartet, so I'll be having a look into getting that.

Watched it and thought the first half was great, it ran out of steam a bit after that for me.

I really liked the music in it though and some research has led me to Stravinsky's pieces for string quartet, so I'll be having a look into getting that.

Yeah it was like two short films, I felt. Although the second part was livened up considerably by Rachel Weisz just being there. The hotel part was deffo better though.

The fundamentals of caring - 7.1/10

Paul Rudd becomes a carer for a young man with muscular dystrophy after suffering his own personal loss. Failry heart warming and quite funny in parts. Not a hard-core look into the life of a carer, by any means, and my one criticism is that it papered over the whole 'struggle' with a bit of a montage and that was it. Best buds.

Quite good overall.

Finally saw Suicide Squad last night

7.5/10 for me. Really enjoyed it and although it had some flaws I thought it was a good and solid enough action film. Didn't like dickheads portrayal of The Joker one bit and thought the villain(s) weren't very strong but the main bulk of the cast were good and the overall story was entertaining.

Not sure why it's got so slated really when it came out, seen poorer Blockbuster films this year. Got exactly what I was expecting with this film and I'd like to see a sequel. I'd even watch it again at some point.

Imperium. Daniel Radcliffe going undercover for the FBI with White Supremacists. Had the makings of a decent film and surprisingly he pulls his character off ok despite looking 12 all the time. The middle looked like it was going to get fucking good then it just went shit and the ending was a load of shite. It just forgot a few sub-plots that were happening and that was it. Another hour longer and a bit more creativity and it could have been very good. 4/10. 

The Interview. Load of old bollocks. Im a big Seth Rogen fan but this was shit. James Franko or whatever the cunts name is should not be doing comedy films (or any film for that matter). Completely ruined the film which was already shit. If North Korea were to nuke Hollywood theym wouldn't be doing it because they took the piss out of Kim the cunt. It would be because the film is utter turd. 1/10 

The Survivalist - Small film set in (Northern Ireland) the aftermath of a global catastrophe where society has collapsed. A loner takes in two women and what begins as trading sexual favours for survival becomes something else. It's one of those films where I appreciated the effort that went into it, admired the performances and the camera work, but I was a bit bored as it went along. Good story, well told, I've seen it really reviewed elsewhere, I was a bit bored. 6.5 out of 10.

The Survivalist - Small film set in (Northern Ireland) the aftermath of a global catastrophe where society has collapsed. A loner takes in two women and what begins as trading sexual favours for survival becomes something else. It's one of those films where I appreciated the effort that went into it, admired the performances and the camera work, but I was a bit bored as it went along. Good story, well told, I've seen it really reviewed elsewhere, I was a bit bored. 6.5 out of 10.

I agree with almost all of that but I reckon it's a 7.

Went to see BFG yesterday with my missus and daughter (almost 4 yo).

I was blown away by the affects and enjoyed it overall. I think that kind of cgi with the production of people's faces has to have reached its peak now - I just can't see how it could improve.

My girl enjoyed it, but cried a few times when she thought it was sad. She's a sensitive soul!

Overall, it was worth seeing, though I'd be in no hurry to recommend it to anyone without kids.