You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Yeah, proper eye opener that. I second the recommendation.

As a trade unionist, I got an invite to Durham Gala for a pre-release screening and after film q & a with one of the producers, and two of the men in the film, Davy Hopper and the brilliantly named Norman Strike.

Fucking Hell, the raw nerve and ill feeling (still) were really tangible. If the old bitch had still been alive then the audience would've gladly righted that wrong right then and there.

An experience that will definitely stay with me.

I thought Inglorious was a great film and I can take Tarantino or leave him.

I cant watch many films over and over again but the ones I can are the ones I consider exceptional. I dont think I can do that with Tarantino but his films are very enjoyable the first viewing.

Totally agree.

Said it many times that I believe Tarantino's films (Pulp Fiction being no exception), all suffer from being overly verbose; the first time you watch you're often riveted, not knowing what's coming next. However, once you've seen it, you've fucking seen it.

That said, I think the QT bashing in this thread is way OTT, Tarantino is an excellent film maker, and I think Hateful 8 has much to admire, but no more or less than many of his other films.

JMHO.

I'm a Tarantino fan but I thought his latest was shit.

That's the thing.

My posts may not suggest it but I started watching Django and Hateful 8 wanting to like them. He's done such good stuff in the past, but it just seems so formulated and contrived now. I don't think there will be cases from either of the classic lines that people here and immediately know what it is and that it's from those films.

In both cases thinking "fucking get on with it". There are probably the basis of a good film in them, I can't say fully with Hateful 8 because I was so bored by it I switched it off and couldn't face trying it again if he had someone to edit him and reign him in a bit.

Stuff like the cabin scene in Inglorious show he's still more than capable of doing it, it just doesn't seem to fit together properly. 

I don't think it's any coincidence that since Sally Menke died even people who are massive fans have made the point the films are too long.

Pulp Fiction is a classic. I pity the fool who doesn't like that. Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are really good too I think. Haven't seen Death Proof but Kill Bill on I reckon all his films have suffered from overlong bad editing problems which has made them a bit tedious and not as fun.

Kill Bill could have been a sped up 2 hours and it would have been boss, instead it was four and a half.

Pulp Fiction is a classic. I pity the fool who doesn't like that. Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are really good too I think. Haven't seen Death Proof but Kill Bill on I reckon all his films have suffered from overlong bad editing problems which has made them a bit tedious and not as fun.

Kill Bill could have been a sped up 2 hours and it would have been boss, instead it was four and a half.

I thought the first Kill Bill had near flawless pacing, especially the "western" version which I prefer to the Japan cut. KB 2 is his weakest film for me (can't comment on Basterds).

Kill Bill could easily have been a single film, Inglorious could have been condensed down to about 45 minutes of Christopher Waltz and you'd have missed very little in the rest of the film (maybe add in all the additional scenes with Melanie Laurent for morale), Django could have easily lost the entire Tarantino cameo and chunks throughout the rest of the film, Death Proof would have been a better film with about 2 hours 10 minutes shaved off it.

He's worse than the likes of Michael Bay.

Kill Bill could easily have been a single film, Inglorious could have been condensed down to about 45 minutes of Christopher Waltz and you'd have missed very little in the rest of the film (maybe add in all the additional scenes with Melanie Laurent for morale), Django could have easily lost the entire Tarantino cameo and chunks throughout the rest of the film, Death Proof would have been a better film with about 2 hours 10 minutes shaved off it.

He's worse than the likes of Michael Bay.

Haha

I presume the Michael Bay comment, let me explain before people start shouting the odds that Tarantino is a far better director (I agree he is).

Michael Bay is unaware of people's opinions of him because he see's films in dollar signs, he can make films packed full of misogyny and casual racism, people hate him for it and the films still make hundreds of millions. Ignorance is king in the land of bad Michael Bay movies. He is, and always will be, a bad film maker rewarded by the public at large.

Tarantino is fully aware of the misogyny and casual racism in his films, and revels in the notoriety, he see's himself as one of the great auteurs and the public at large are wrong not to revel in his art. His recent films have been underwhelming and yet he refuses to change and put his talent to good use through stubbornness rather than ignorance. 

• Upvote 1