You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 14/06/2022 at 09:28, Shooter in the Motor said:

Silence of the lambs remains the only adaptation. Manhunter is superior to Red Dragon but Silence of the lambs reigns supreme. 

Red Dragon is awful. Fucking Brett Ratner, what a tosser, completely wasted a great cast. 

Manhunter is very good. Quality Michael Mann film. Gets far more out of a less talented cast.

• Upvote 1

Hustle - 8/10. Adam Sandler in a straight role as a basketball scout who stakes his reputation and career on an unknown Spanish player. There’s nothing especially original about it (except  maybe the high number of current and past NBA stars involved) but I thought it was really entertaining. 

On 17/06/2022 at 23:55, Scott_M said:

Red Dragon is awful. Fucking Brett Ratner, what a tosser, completely wasted a great cast. 

Manhunter is very good. Quality Michael Mann film. Gets far more out of a less talented cast.

Has Michael Mann ever made a bad movie though? 

I love his stuff, even miami vice was excellent imo. 

I haven't watched a good movie in ages and was hoping to get some half decent ideas in here. 

Nope, not much about is there

3 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I haven't watched a good movie in ages and was hoping to get some half decent ideas in here. 

Last night I watched The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, it was excellent.

Richard Burton, black and white, goes to prove your point.

12 hours ago, John102 said:

Spiderhead 4/10

A pretty dull, film very little story to speak of. Somehow manages to eek out an hour and forty mins.

I actually went onto Netflix to watch Hustle, so feel doubly annoyed now.

I've learned my lesson regarding Netflix exclusive movies, I'm struggling to recall a good one, they're on Netflix for a reason, mostly because they're shite and wouldn't get a cinema release.

The only recent one i remember being okay was Love and Monsters.

I stay away unless I see some decent reviews on here or from friends

House of Gucci - A real misfire. Either do the story in the original language or do it in normal English accents. Don't do what they did here, which let everyone do crazy, over the top Italian accents that sound more like caricatures. The mystery as to why Jared Leto gets any roles continues with his stupid, cartoonish Italian 'mamma mia' performance and the story is told very prosaically and with little to no insight into the reasons why these people do what they did. Even the usually solid Adam Driver can't prevent this from being an overly long waste of your time. Massive disappointment 3.5 out of 10

On 13/06/2022 at 17:09, No2 said:

Mindhunter from 1986, never knew it existed but it's the original silence of the lambs. SOTL was one of my all time favourites, probably top 5 but now I know it's not an original I will have to reconsider. 

8/10 for decent for it's day.

Cox was great in that; best movie of the bunch, IMO, by a ways (truth be told, I didn't watch the later one(s) as the books were so shite there was no way I was going to waste a couple of hours of my life watching them).

"Red Dragon" is a very good book. 

6 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I didn’t know this but Michael Mann executive produced the Miami vice tv show!

Saw the latest Jurassic Park last night. It’s OK. 6/10. Pretty forgettable. 

Went to the Everyman in town for the first time to see it and I really wasn’t impressed. The food is mediocre, the prices are steep and the service was friendly but slow.  Won’t be going back. 

• Upvote 1

Father Stu

True story about Stuart Long; ex-boxer, degenerate, priest.

Mark Wahlberg is very good in the lead role but Mel Gibson steals the show with a brilliantly subtle turn as his dead beat step father.

The subject matter might not be for everyone but stick with it, a fascinating and very entertaining story.

7.5/10 Nodi Ezra Real Debrid

Crypto, Alien wannabee I think. Lasted 15 minutes and fucked it off.

Top gun. OK and I would bum Tom Cruise then and now even though I'm not that inclined.

First time I've  seen it. OK movie but makes me want to Born in the USA so I to could save the world.

Also, couldn't watch it without thinking.,...

Kelly McGillis, "you won't believe what she looks like now" Susan Boyle?

1 minute ago, DalyanPete said:

Crypto, Alien wannabee I think. Lasted 15 minutes and fucked it off.

Top gun. OK and I would bum Tom Cruise then and now even though I'm not that inclined.

First time I've  seen it. OK movie but makes me want to Born in the USA so I to could save the world.

Also, couldn't watch it without thinking.,...

Kelly McGillis, "you won't believe what she looks like now" Susan Boyle?

Yeah there is a reason she didn’t get invited back for Maverick. 

Can you rate it please? 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Yeah there is a reason she didn’t get invited back for Maverick. 

Can you rate it please? 

5/10 for me. No way does Maverick get to keep Gooses dog tag and he would have been kicked off the course for being a soft fly by twat. Still would though the handsome twat.

2 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

5/10 for me. No way does Maverick get to keep Gooses dog tag and he would have been kicked off the course for being a soft fly by twat. Still would though the handsome twat.

Blasphemy. You twat ! 

• Upvote 2

On 18/06/2022 at 23:37, Paul said:

Hustle - 8/10. Adam Sandler in a straight role as a basketball scout who stakes his reputation and career on an unknown Spanish player. There’s nothing especially original about it (except  maybe the high number of current and past NBA stars involved) but I thought it was really entertaining. 

Yeah it's proper by the numbers stuff, but enjoyable none the less. Thought the NBA lads were all really good, too - so much so, in fact, that I'd never have known they were NBA lads if I hadn't watched the credits afterwards.

On 19/06/2022 at 22:39, Carvalho Diablo said:

Father Stu

True story about Stuart Long; ex-boxer, degenerate, priest.

Mark Wahlberg is very good in the lead role but Mel Gibson steals the show with a brilliantly subtle turn as his dead beat step father.

The subject matter might not be for everyone but stick with it, a fascinating and very entertaining story.

7.5/10 Nodi Ezra Real Debrid

I expected it to be better tbh. Maybe 20 mins too long but watchable.

• Upvote 1

Just seen Top Gun Maverick with the missus. Camp as Christmas like the original, and I could do without the 'Murica saves the world' bollocks, but an enjoyable couple of hours all the same.

Can't believe how ill Val Kilmer looks, and I was shocked when I realised that Icemans missus is the teenage girl off Uncle Buck.

8.5 Scientology Space Arks out of 11! (A scoring system for those who've read Battlefield Earth there).

6 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Just seen Top Gun Maverick with the missus. Camp as Christmas like the original, and I could do without the 'Murica saves the world' bollocks, but an enjoyable couple of hours all the same.

Can't believe how ill Val Kilmer looks, and I was shocked when I realised that Icemans missus is the teenage girl off Uncle Buck.

8.5 Scientology Space Arks out of 11! (A scoring system for those who've read Battlefield Earth there).

You're gonna get called a twat.