You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

29 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Star Wars, Star Wars, Star Wars, Christ Almighty, does it never end?!

If I ever see that George Lucas twat I'm gonna piss on his dog's head.

I agree, fat Captain Kirk and those fucking teddy bear things.

To be fair to George Lucas, he could clearly tell the Star Wars boat had well and truly sailed so selling it for a billion dollars or whatever was a master stroke. Now Disney just seem to be getting their money's worth by producing as many revenue streams as possible, regardless if they're any good or not.

52 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

To be fair to George Lucas, he could clearly tell the Star Wars boat had well and truly sailed so selling it for a billion dollars or whatever was a master stroke. Now Disney just seem to be getting their money's worth by producing as many revenue streams as possible, regardless if they're any good or not.

I think it was about 2 billion in cash, and 2 billion in Disney shares. 

And those Disney shares are worth more when they constantly go out of their way to produce as many revenue streams as possible, so those share values have quadrupled since the initial sale. 

Jammy cunt. 

34 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I think it was about 2 billion in cash, and 2 billion in Disney shares. 

And those Disney shares are worth more when they constantly go out of their way to produce as many revenue streams as possible, so those share values have quadrupled since the initial sale. 

Jammy cunt. 

Holy fuck. He's probably going to be competing with Gates, Bezos and Musk soon for biggest Cash Under Nearly Trillion.

Considering Star Wars was expected to be a complete failure and was originally being scripted to be made as Flash Gordon, he's definitely come down the jammy tree and hit every branch on the way down.

On 08/06/2022 at 03:19, Chris said:

The Batman (2022) 

2/5. 

Could have easily told the story in half the time. Typically drab, laborious, outright boring, and completely unnecessary modern DC comics adaptation. Narrative was absolutely all over the shop and its self reverence and attempts at gravitas were completely undue. Laughable at times. 

These films always seem like such an ordeal. Never enjoyable. And even the ones that attempt irreverence and irony are absolutely fucking unbearable (*glares at Suicide Squad*). 

Two stars, 1.5 of which were for the stellar turn this guy. 

Although I enjoyed it more than you seemed to, I agree with your points. 

IMO, the issue was Bruce Wayne and Batman were essentially the same character. I know that sounds daft, but neither was an alter-ego, they just blended into one. 

In the Nolan films, Bruce Wayne is more of a playboy but his rage fuelled The Batman alter-ego. There is a very clear difference who is Bruce Wayne and who is Batman. They are the same miserable bastard in this film. 

The Riddler was odd as well. Given he filmed himself via a phone most of the film, I assume he looked like this off camera…

7AF16769-16A9-416A-A05E-B89928B58313.jpeg

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I saw all three of the prequels at the pictures. The first two are boring as fuck and, as you say, don’t feel like Star Wars films at all. The third one is an improvement and feels more like a Star Wars film, but it isn’t very memorable, in my view.

The best thing about the prequels is this poster. 

BB7F0A56-927B-4101-909C-17452F211090.jpeg

That is one shit hot poster 

16 hours ago, Scott_M said:

As I said, the majority of the plot points are solid enough and would have made good films in other circumstances. 

It’s not just the dialogue which is dreadful. The CGI is poor, they don’t feel like Star Wars movies, there is minimal continuity between how the prequels and originals look and there are some dreadful characters (IMO, General Grievous is as bad a character as Jar Jar Binks). 

The music is good though. 

The best Star Wars film since ROTJ is Rogue One. At least that adds something to the story, I really enjoyed TFA but ultimately the trilogy offered nothing. 

I wouldn't worry about that, George Lucas will no doubt tinker with them to the point of there being no improvement whatsoever, in the next ten years.

11 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I wouldn't worry about that, George Lucas will no doubt tinker with them to the point of there being no improvement whatsoever, in the next ten years.

Maybe he can re-do the dialogue, characters and “look” of it all at the same time.

I mean, apart from that, they are great. 

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Although I enjoyed it more than you seemed to, I agree with your points. 

IMO, the issue was Bruce Wayne and Batman were essentially the same character. I know that sounds daft, but neither was an alter-ego, they just blended into one. 

In the Nolan films, Bruce Wayne is more of a playboy but his rage fuelled The Batman alter-ego. There is a very clear difference who is Bruce Wayne and who is Batman. They are the same miserable bastard in this film. 

The Riddler was odd as well. Given he filmed himself via a phone most of the film, I assume he looked like this off camera…

7AF16769-16A9-416A-A05E-B89928B58313.jpeg

Hadn’t really given the alter ego point much thought but you’re bang on. The whole point of the Bruce Wayne persona in the Nolan films is that he’s totally disparate from Batman to the point that no one would ever think it’s possible they’re the same bloke. Bruce is the disguise. 

• Upvote 1

MEN - 6.5/10

I enjoyed this and Rory Kinear is great playing the different versions of himself. It goes weird, very fucking weird but I was entertained throughout.

Bone Tomahawk - 6/10

Slightly disappointed in this, it's overlong and a boring at times. It was decent but nothing more.

3 hours ago, Elite said:

MEN - 6.5/10

I enjoyed this and Rory Kinear is great playing the different versions of himself. It goes weird, very fucking weird but I was entertained throughout.

Bone Tomahawk - 6/10

Slightly disappointed in this, it's overlong and a boring at times. It was decent but nothing more.

This scoring system is all over the place. 6.5/10 is entertaining throughout and 6/10 is boring?

Jurassic Park Dominium

I took my dinosaur mad 7 year old to see this.

I do not get all the hate for this. It is what it is. Its a big silly romp with lots of dinosaur action in it. Go with the flow and enjoy it. I enjoyed the original Jurassic Park gang getting back together.

7/10 for dumb fun

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Scarecrow - Not the strongest of scripts, and the ending always leaves me wanting a little bit more, but the performances from Hackman and Pacino, especially Hackman, more than make up for that - 7.8/10

5A10AA5F-C7D4-447F-98F4-380EBA329523.jpeg

I'm not sure Hackman ever made a bad film. Brilliant actor.

• Upvote 1

Nightmare Alley - Guillermo Del Toro's latest and one of his dullest for my money. Over 2 and a half hours long when you're telling a pulpy neo-noir story doesn't stack up for me and for large parts I was bored and struggling to stay awake. In the end I just couldn't see the point in any of it; bad people do bad things, not a revelation. It looked good, really good in fact, and the sets and locations were excellent. It's just a shame that a 90 minute story was stretched for an extra hour and didn't deliver anything exhilarating or surprising. 4 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

Mindhunter from 1986, never knew it existed but it's the original silence of the lambs. SOTL was one of my all time favourites, probably top 5 but now I know it's not an original I will have to reconsider. 

8/10 for decent for it's day.

8 hours ago, No2 said:

Mindhunter from 1986, never knew it existed but it's the original silence of the lambs. SOTL was one of my all time favourites, probably top 5 but now I know it's not an original I will have to reconsider. 

8/10 for decent for it's day.

Not quite true, Manhunter was an adaptation of the first book called Red Dragon. Silence of the lambs was the second book and was the first adaptation to have the same name as the book. They then made Red Dragon based on the first book.

Silence of the lambs remains the only adaptation. Manhunter is superior to Red Dragon but Silence of the lambs reigns supreme. 

Split Second.

I was trying to remember this film having watched it in 1992 after my folks rented it out, I couldn't remember the name or who was in it, just remembered it reminded me a bit of a low budget, English version of Predator 2.

Anyways  I was browsing through Amazon last night and found it!

Starring Rutger Hauer is a burned out cop in a future (2008) flooded London, still mourning the death of his mysteriously killed partner some few years before when the "serial killer" comes back just as he's saddled with a rookie partner he doesn't want by a shouty chief of police.

Ticks all the clichés and has a hammy script but is watchable, highlight is Kim Cattrall in the shower looking nice.

5.5/10.

On 15/06/2022 at 01:01, Duff Man said:

Hustle - sports drama starring Adam Sandler as a weary old basketball scout trying to get an unknown but talented player into the NBA. Formulaic stuff, but well done. 7/10

Planning to watch that. Recently watched Bisping on an overseas trip. What a fighter that lad was.8