You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

26 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent stars Nicholas Cage as Nicholas Cage. It also has Nicholas Kim Coppola in a small supporting role as Nicky Cage. Probably best if you enjoy laughing while watching Nicholas Cage films. 

Nicholas Cage is in a film where a woman plays the part of Nicky Cage?

4 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Nicholas Cage is in a film where a woman plays the part of Nicky Cage?

No.

SPOILER

It's Nicholas Cage

That's his real name.

On 01/06/2022 at 07:41, Total Longo said:

Still haven't seen the original, it never interested me as a teenager. I may get around to watching it this weekend, has it aged badly or is it still worth a watch?

Watched it and found it a bit of a chore in all honesty. The plane bits were decent enough, but Cruise and his perma-grin can do one. Surprising amount of actors who ended up doing a lot better in it as well, Tim Robbins, Meg Ryan, Adrian Pasdar. Nowhere near the worst film i've ever seen, but i have no desire to ever watch it again. In comparison to say, Commando, Top Gun takes itself very seriously indeed, doesn't it? The lack of a steel drum soundtrack also gives it minus points by comparison, too.   

I think the issue i had with it mainly was similar to the issue i had with The Goonies, in that i shouldn't have waited 30 odd years to finally watch them. Having said that, there was a reason why i didn't fancy it when i was 15. I had no interest back then in planes, or volleyball, or a soundtrack featuring Berlin and Kenny Loggins. Also, it wasn't "Aliens". 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Watched it and found it a bit of a chore in all honesty. The plane bits were decent enough, but Cruise and his perma-grin can do one. Surprising amount of actors who ended up doing a lot better in it as well, Tim Robbins, Meg Ryan, Adrian Pasdar. Nowhere near the worst film i've ever seen, but i have no desire to ever watch it again. In comparison to say, Commando, Top Gun takes itself very seriously indeed, doesn't it? The lack of a steel drum soundtrack also gives it minus points by comparison, too.   

I think the issue i had with it mainly was similar to the issue i had with The Goonies, in that i shouldn't have waited 30 odd years to finally watch them. Having said that, there was a reason why i didn't fancy it when i was 15. I had no interest back then in planes, or volleyball, or a soundtrack featuring Berlin and Kenny Loggins. Also, it wasn't "Aliens". 

Hahaha 

You'll love Top Gun - Maverick 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hahaha 

You'll love Top Gun - Maverick 

There's the irony, mate. The only reason i watched the original was that we were planning to go to the flicks over the weekend, with Maverick being the likely choice. Then both my lads got ill and we didn't even go in the end. 

1 minute ago, Total Longo said:

There's the irony, mate. The only reason i watched the original was that we were planning to go to the flicks over the weekend, with Maverick being the likely choice. Then both my lads got ill and we didn't even go in the end. 

It will be put a few more weeks I expect. It’s one of them you really should see on the big screen. The plane scenes are mind blowing. Hope the lads are ok 

The Batman (2022) 

2/5. 

Could have easily told the story in half the time. Typically drab, laborious, outright boring, and completely unnecessary modern DC comics adaptation. Narrative was absolutely all over the shop and its self reverence and attempts at gravitas were completely undue. Laughable at times. 

These films always seem like such an ordeal. Never enjoyable. And even the ones that attempt irreverence and irony are absolutely fucking unbearable (*glares at Suicide Squad*). 

Two stars, 1.5 of which were for the stellar turn this guy. 

A29D66C8-0F71-41E0-A860-46812281029C.jpeg

• Upvote 4

On the back of Obi Wan Kenobi, I’d be watched Attack Of The Clones & Revenge Of The Sith.

I wish I hadn’t bothered.

The general plot points across both films are solid enough and do move the story along reasonably sensibly but they are done in such a clunky and ham fisted manner, it’s hard to care.

There are some very talented actors in the films (Portman, McGregor, McDairmid) and try as they might, they can’t polish the streaming pile of shit they work with. I know the originals weren’t peak Tarentino but these sound like they are reading something written by somebody doubt their GCSE’s.

Hayden Christiansen is utter shite.

Such a shame as the basic plot points are solid enough. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

On the back of Obi Wan Kenobi, I’d be watched Attack Of The Clones & Revenge Of The Sith.

I wish I hadn’t bothered.

The general plot points across both films are solid enough and do move the story along reasonably sensibly but they are done in such a clunky and ham fisted manner, it’s hard to care.

There are some very talented actors in the films (Portman, McGregor, McDairmid) and try as they might, they can’t polish the streaming pile of shit they work with. I know the originals weren’t peak Tarentino but these sound like they are reading something written by somebody doubt their GCSE’s.

Hayden Christiansen is utter shite.

Such a shame as the basic plot points are solid enough. 

If you can look past the dialogue, Revenge of the Sith is brilliant and has the best actual story outside of Eps IV and V. I loved it when it came out and I've learned to embrace its quirks since. Seeing peak Anakin and Obi-Wan side-by-side (the opening scene when they rescue Palps is one of my favourites ever), and then their cataclysmic battle is as good as Star Wars gets for me. 

On 08/06/2022 at 14:25, johnsusername said:

Wind River (2017)

Decent crime thriller starring Jeremy Renner as a tracker helping FBI agent Elizabeth Olsen (FIT) look into a girls death.

Well acted, solid story, looks good, quite emotional.

7/10.

MV5BMTUyMjU1OTUwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDg1NDQ2MjI@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Hell or High water is a great film..as is sicario obviously. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

If you can look past the dialogue, Revenge of the Sith is brilliant and has the best actual story outside of Eps IV and V. I loved it when it came out and I've learned to embrace its quirks since. Seeing peak Anakin and Obi-Wan side-by-side (the opening scene when they rescue Palps is one of my favourites ever), and then their cataclysmic battle is as good as Star Wars gets for me. 

Agreed.

By far the best of the prequels are far superior to the 3 new ones imho. 

Anakins 'fall has real emotional clout and natalie Portman is great in it.

The showdown is superb as is order 51.

The only misstep is that awful frakenstein bit which they have practically re shot in kenobi.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

If you can look past the dialogue, Revenge of the Sith is brilliant and has the best actual story outside of Eps IV and V. 

As I said, the majority of the plot points are solid enough and would have made good films in other circumstances. 

It’s not just the dialogue which is dreadful. The CGI is poor, they don’t feel like Star Wars movies, there is minimal continuity between how the prequels and originals look and there are some dreadful characters (IMO, General Grievous is as bad a character as Jar Jar Binks). 

The music is good though. 

The best Star Wars film since ROTJ is Rogue One. At least that adds something to the story, I really enjoyed TFA but ultimately the trilogy offered nothing. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

As I said, the majority of the plot points are solid enough and would have made good films in other circumstances. 

It’s not just the dialogue which is dreadful. The CGI is poor, they don’t feel like Star Wars movies, there is minimal continuity between how the prequels and originals look and there are some dreadful characters (IMO, General Grievous is as bad a character as Jar Jar Binks). 

The best Star Wars film since ROTJ is Rogue One. At least that adds something to the story, I really enjoyed TFA but ultimately the trilogy offered nothing. 

I saw all three of the prequels at the pictures. The first two are boring as fuck and, as you say, don’t feel like Star Wars films at all. The third one is an improvement and feels more like a Star Wars film, but it isn’t very memorable, in my view.

The best thing about the prequels is this poster. 

BB7F0A56-927B-4101-909C-17452F211090.jpeg

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I'd  have rogue one just behind empire and a new hope.

Hugely underrated film.Proper gritty and ### spoiler ### all the goodies get killed.

And that vader scene is simply immense.

Rots certainly isn't flawless but I do have a soft spot for it.

The 3 new ones were an utter mess.At least the prequels had an arc.

8 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I'd  have rogue one just behind empire and a new hope.

Hugely underrated film.Proper gritty and ### spoiler ### all the goodies get killed.

And that vader scene is simply immense.

Rots certainly isn't flawless but I do have a soft spot for it.

The 3 new ones were an utter mess.At least the prequels had an arc.

I like Ewoks, you bastard.

12 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I saw all three of the prequels at the pictures. The first two are boring as fuck and, as you say, don’t feel like Star Wars films at all. The third one is an improvement and feels more like a Star Wars film, but it isn’t very memorable, in my view.

The best thing about the prequels is this poster. 

BB7F0A56-927B-4101-909C-17452F211090.jpeg

Had that on my wall in uni. Loved it.

• Upvote 1