You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

7 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

V for vendetta. Life under a fascist government in the Uk. It’s a bit odd, great cast (john hurt, Stephen fry, that bloke is the minister on the thick of it) but the plot is very contrived and it’s very far fetched in parts. 3/10

Haha, it wasn't even that far fetched in 2005 when it was released. In 2022 it could practically be regarded as a documentary.

Terrific film, and contains one of the most touching, unexpected and brave sequences in any superhero movie.

Bombshell 3/4

Decent account of the Fox News sexual harrassment scandal that saw Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly out on their arses. Good performances from an excellent ensemble cast. Margot Robbie and Charlize Theron got most of the accolades, but Nicole Kidman and John Lithgow are terrific too. Would have been easy to play Ailes as a one-dimensional monster, but Lithgow brings a humanity to the role. Film never really does much more than scratch the surface, but you do get an idea of what women had/have to go through to get anywhere in a male-dominated world.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Bombshell 3/4

Decent account of the Fox News sexual harrassment scandal that saw Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly out on their arses. Good performances from an excellent ensemble cast. Margot Robbie and Charlize Theron got most of the accolades, but Nicole Kidman and John Lithgow are terrific too. Would have been easy to play Ailes as a one-dimensional monster, but Lithgow brings a humanity to the role. Film never really does much more than scratch the surface, but you do get an idea of what women had/have to go through to get anywhere in a male-dominated world.

Very good film that. 

Promising Young Woman (2020) - 8/10. 

Carey Mulligan is really good as the lead character. Her accent is pretty spot on and she looks very different than when I've seen her in other stuff. The 'ending' was a bit of a shock, and I'm not sure if I liked it or not. But the rest of the film was very smart. 

ex-vnekxiacgvto.jpg

Ghostbusters : Afterlife.

I really went into this with a lot of trepidation as the trailer didn't fill me with any sense that it was going to be any good, but in the main i loved it. Just the right amount of nostalgia and nods to the original whilst bringing in a set of mainly likeable new characters.  And i can't be the only one who had unclean thoughts about Gozer. 

8.5/10.  

18 hours ago, Butch said:

Canadian rambo. Great stuff from Ramon movie productions Uganda. Peace and love baby. 

Who wouldn’t want to live in a group of ramshackle huts with an outside toilet and the back end of a helicopter in the garden. Superb stuff.

The Tender Bar. 6/10.

Starts off well, good soundtrack but then just goes nowhere. Some decent dialogue and performances, in particular the boy playing young JR, and Ben Affleck as his uncle who takes him under his wing in the absence of a father figure (bit of a reminder of Chuckie from GWH in the character). 

As said, it just kind of tails off and and somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes in my interest started to drift.

2 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

The Tender Bar. 6/10.

Starts off well, good soundtrack but then just goes nowhere. Some decent dialogue and performances, in particular the boy playing young JR, and Ben Affleck as his uncle who takes him under his wing in the absence of a father figure (bit of a reminder of Chuckie from GWH in the character). 

As said, it just kind of tails off and and somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes in my interest started to drift.

That was the appeal for me by the time it finished. No big climax but a lesson in love and life throughout. I really enjoyed it, probably because I'm feeling a bit "fresh outlook, new start" right now. 

On 09/01/2022 at 11:26, Mook said:

Casablanca. Never seen this before and fully expected not to enjoy it, I was wrong. Great story with plenty of wit thrown in. 8.5/10.

Only watched it myself for the 1st time the other month. What a great film.

Watched Key Largo today. The complete opposite. Some terrible acting and a story that goes nowhere. 4/10

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Carey Mulligan is really good as the lead character. Her accent is pretty spot on and she looks very different than when I've seen her in other stuff. The 'ending' was a bit of a shock, and I'm not sure if I liked it or not. But the rest of the film was very smart. 

ex-vnekxiacgvto.jpg

Haven't seen this yet, but really liked the look of it. Reminded me of Blue Ruin in terms of a revenge flick and how grimy the press shots looked. Loved that film and think Mulligan is class so should really get my arse in gear.

Did you catch it on a streaming service?

23 hours ago, johnsusername said:

ex-vnekxiacgvto.jpg

Excellent film. It's one of those that sticks with you for quite a while after you've watched it.

48 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Haven't seen this yet, but really liked the look of it. Reminded me of Blue Ruin in terms of a revenge flick and how grimy the press shots looked. Loved that film and think Mulligan is class so should really get my arse in gear.

Did you catch it on a streaming service?

It was on Sky Showcase over Christmas, I recorded it and just got round to watching it. 

Mulligan is brilliant in it. In fact, all the main cast are really good. 

• Upvote 1

Went to see House of Gucci Saturday night at the showcase.

overall I just about enjoyed it, though I found myself wondering if I was starting to get bored in parts, and I don’t think I’d recommend it to anyone, by the time it finished I was happy enough of had a pleasant evening out.

a few bits were particularly enjoyable, and well done, the cease and desist order on the brothers fashion show being the standout.

6.5/11

Ghostbusters : Afterlife 7/10

I don't get all the hate for this. It was a rather good and entertaining watch. There could be a bit more of the ghosts etc causing havoc in the town. Its part Ghostbusters, part Goonies and part Stranger Things. I was also quite moved by the ending despite being the cynical type.

Find Me Guilty (2006)

Vin Diesel plays Jackie DiNorscio who defends himself in court along with loads of the Luchesse family. True story and the court dialogue is supposed to be word for word correct from parts of the trial (that ran 21 months)

Weird seeing him in a role like that but he plays it well, the topic could be made into a much more serious, darker movie but this is fairly light hearted in parts. An enjoyable enough watch but not anywhere near what you would class as a good mob film. Worth a watch though. 

6.5/10. 

Matrix Resurrections 1/10

Abysmal. It proves the original movie was a WOSH movie. That is WOW (for all the technical and visual stuff) and TOSH for the script and content. This was more of the same. Its on a part with Matrix 2 and Matrix 3. It is overblown self important drivel.

As I understand it Neo and Trinity died but the big bad machines recreated them because they realised with them as batteries and their presence in the matrix that the whole of humanity was a better source of energy. This is never explained (nor is how humans are the best source of energy that the super machines can create). And in the new Matrix New develops a computer game based upon the original matrix. Then lots of CGI and then the female side of his character (Trinity) becomes dominant. The end.

The maker claims the original Matrix was about being trans. It clearly wasn't but this one is clearly hammers you over the head with it.

All a bit shit

The Naked Kiss, i woke up on the couch over half way through, it was on about 2am.

It was a sort of Film Noir from 1964 and it addressed prostitution and paedophilia which must of been quite daring for then as it wasn't hinted at but clear, a bit like Blue Velvet in the way that it depicts small town America isn't as nice as you would think once you scrape away the surface. 

I'll have to look out for it again though i expect it'll be shown late again. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/01/2022 at 10:07, redheart said:

Ghostbusters : Afterlife 7/10

I don't get all the hate for this. It was a rather good and entertaining watch. There could be a bit more of the ghosts etc causing havoc in the town. Its part Ghostbusters, part Goonies and part Stranger Things. I was also quite moved by the ending despite being the cynical type.

Who hated it?