You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Munich

Seems to be one of the less loved of the Spielberg catalogue, but I enjoy the Le Carre-esque mix of spy thrills and more philosophical musings. It's a bit clunky in places, however the atmosphere of the period is spot on. It's a pity in some ways it was a feature film, as it would probably suit the longer running time of a mini-series.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Munich

Seems to be one of the less loved of the Spielberg catalogue, but I enjoy the Le Carre-esque mix of spy thrills and more philosophical musings. It's a bit clunky in places, however the atmosphere of the period is spot on. It's a pity in some ways it was a feature film, as it would probably suit the longer running time of a mini-series.

I think it is definitely one his best offerings of the past 20 years, if not the best. At the time, I was fascinated how he would approach the film, given his religious background and the subject matter itself, but he flatly refuses to take sides. 

9 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I think it is definitely one his best offerings of the past 20 years, if not the best. At the time, I was fascinated how he would approach the film, given his religious background and the subject matter itself, but he flatly refuses to take sides. 

Yeah, I remember at the time there being concern that it'd be very pro-Israel, glossing over the lad Mossad killed in a case of mistaken identity. Whilst that wasn't really covered, the worry looks misplaced, and seriously underestimating of Spielberg.

If anything, the film is more hopeless tragedy than anything else, anti-violence and noncommittal about Israel / Palestine.

4 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yeah, I remember at the time there being concern that it'd be very pro-Israel, glossing over the lad Mossad killed in a case of mistaken identity. Whilst that wasn't really covered, the worry looks very misplaced, and seriously underestimating of Spielberg.

If anything, the film is more hopeless tragedy than anything else, anti-violence and noncommittal about Israel / Palestine.

I recall Daniel Craig's South African accent being a little bit dodgy, but i can't fully recall if it is or not? 

ID 2. Netflix.

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be to be fair. I did wonder why they botehred having Gumbo in it again seeing as the fella looked fuck all like him, only to google it and find out it was the same fucking actor all along. Who strangely looks like this in real life and fuck all like Gumbo:

lee-ross-actor-632a4f48-270b-4300-9499-7

Still only a 4/10 but worth a bash if you liked the original.

"We are Shadwell, The Kennel is our place, Shadwell never never never shall lose face!" 

19 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

ID 2. Netflix.

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be to be fair. I did wonder why they botehred having Gumbo in it again seeing as the fella looked fuck all like him, only to google it and find out it was the same fucking actor all along. Who strangely looks like this in real life and fuck all like Gumbo:

lee-ross-actor-632a4f48-270b-4300-9499-7

Lee Ross. He’s like a chameleon that fella. Dodger in Dodger, Bonzo & the Rest, Gumbo, DCI Litton in Life on Mars, Owen in Eastenders, Ronnie in White Gold, the kid in the Colgate advert, and many others.

F5587F39-72D5-4870-9AF1-B61E3A244AAD.jpeg

5C507480-E387-42E5-8BF4-65A53CD0F24B.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Dr Sleep (directors cut). 7/10. Not seen the other cut, this one was 3 hours long. It was okay, story was not what I was expecting, obviously helps if you have watched The Shining. Elliot from ET doing his best Jack Nicholson impression was a bit off putting.

Special mention of Rebecca Ferguson as Rose the Hat, what a pretty lady she is by the way, kept losing the Irish accent here and there but by my word she is fit.

Petite Maman (Little Mother)

French film by director Celine Sciamma, who responsible for the truly incredible Portrait of A Lady On Fire (best film of the past 10 years).

The story about Marion and Nelly, mother and daughter, estrangement and reconciliation, just a completely wonderful and heartwarming film.

The 2 young leads are both brilliant, the end scene hits like a ton of bricks.

Oh, and for Longo - it's only 70 minutes long.

9/10 Kodi Seren Real Debrid with Open Subtitles

Note: toggle to the French language stream and not the vulgar Russian one which is default in the stream with the largest file size.

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Petite Maman (Little Mother)

French film by director Celine Sciamma, who responsible for the truly incredible Portrait of A Lady On Fire (best film of the past 10 years).

The story about Marion and Nelly, mother and daughter, estrangement and reconciliation, just a completely wonderful and heartwarming film.

The 2 young leads are both brilliant, the end scene hits like a ton of bricks.

9/10 Kodi Seren Real Debrid with Open Subtitles

Note: toggle to the French language stream and not the vulgar Russian one which is default in the stream with the largest file size.

Watched it a few nights back, glorious film making.

Simple, beautiful and wonderful.

The only down side is the better half trying to convice our five year old that this is how life should be.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Watched it a few nights back, glorious film making.

Simple, beautiful and wonderful.

The only down side is the better half trying to convice our five year old that this is how life should be.

Simple, beautiful, wonderful...and worth 1000 MCU's.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

Dr Sleep (directors cut). 7/10. Not seen the other cut, this one was 3 hours long. It was okay, story was not what I was expecting, obviously helps if you have watched The Shining. Elliot from ET doing his best Jack Nicholson impression was a bit off putting.

Special mention of Rebecca Ferguson as Rose the Hat, what a pretty lady she is by the way, kept losing the Irish accent here and there but by my word she is fit.

She is world class. 

Not seen it myself but someone on another thread said its the best British film since Chariots of fire. Got a bit of a sad backstory though as apparently Willie Thorne gambled his whole snooker careers life savings on Bobby George winning best actor for this film at the Golden Globes, unfortunately for Willie he got pipped by Daniel Day Lewis for My Left Foot.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Not seen it myself but someone on another thread said its the best British film since Chariots of fire. Got a bit of a sad backstory though as apparently Willie Thorne gambled his whole snooker careers life savings on Bobby George winning best actor for this film at the Golden Globes, unfortunately for Willie he got pipped by Daniel Day Lewis for My Left Foot.

Read the trivia for it on IMDB. 

E35229E1-B9F6-498B-8359-3ABDFEA6306A.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Inevitable that Dave Courtney would be in there somewhere.

Some left-field choices in Bobby George, Willy Thorne, and Gary Fuckwit-Bushell. I half expected Si.

https://www.starnow.co.uk/shampagneakasallymanning/

Sally Clack….

Can I also take a moment to commend them on the Microsoft Paint CGI gunshots and explosions.

Why did I not know of this gems existence!!!

It looks fucking amazing, will be watching.

My only nitpicking is the plot is a little ultra realism and conservative, but you can’t have everything.

Gatwick Gangsters feature film is about a greedy fat cat banker who borrows over night £100,000,000 of a Crime Boss's money. In a 24 hour window the money gets hacked by an Arab King who is a terrorist. His plot to blow up London's Gatwick Airport is foiled by the Mi6.’