You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 3/4

Late to the party on this one, because I couldn't watch my original recording off Sky Movies made some time ago, since I recorded it on the normal density channel, and Virgin Media dumped them all in favour of HD channels, and you can't watch a programme from a channel you're not subscribed to, even if it's recorded on your box, and even if you're subbed to the HD version of said channel. Fuck you Virgin Media!

Now, I know some people think this is a great film, but I think it is merely a good one, and its biggest strength is the outstanding performances from a great cast, which to some extent overcome deficiencies in the plot. Those include unconvincing character arcs, unlikely coincidences, and a somewhat cliched depiction of rural America. It is however also very funny. McDormand and Rockwell won all the acting prizes, but in my opinion it is Woody Harrelson who is the beating emotional heart of this film. I would have liked to see more of him in it.

A definite recommended watch, but I do think In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths from the same writer-director (the latter featuring much of the same cast) are better films.

9 hours ago, CapeRed said:

My mates mam took us to see from Russia with Love in Old Swan. Hooked ever since.

It just hooks you in.

Don't think I ever went there, which is surprising as I lived on Sheil Road. Did that become Iceland?

Should your post be in, have you ever shagged your mates mum thingy?

Cry Macho - 4/10

A cure for insomnia it's that dull. I admire Clint's enthusiasm for filmmaking at his ripe old age but he's casting himself in roles meant for men at least 30 years younger, he resembled Mr. Burns in this he's that decrepit, understandably considering he's about 93. Crap.

• Upvote 1

On 12/07/2021 at 01:00, Moo said:

Kajillionaire.

For some reason, before watching, I had the impression it was not a well received film but I watched it anyway because of the cast.

Anyway I loved every minute and was questioning myself, but then I read some reviews afterwards to discover it was mostly very well received with some great reviews.

Different, very different.  

Probably an 8/10 from me.

Just watching this, it's very original and crazy. An enjoyable romp. 8/10.

"Come And See"

Late-Soviet-era anti-war film set in WWII Belarus. (Seemed an appropriate choice, given the circumstances and the fools playing games there currently.)

A stark, disturbing portrayal of yet another example of "man's inhumanity to man". A hard film to watch that doesn't pull any punches.

It's also, visually, a beautiful film, and, from a technical stand-point, it's brilliant. 

I'd never heard of it before, but doing some reading now it fully deserves it's reputation as a classic.

So good that despite the content I will watch it again. 

2 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

"Come And See"

Late-Soviet-era anti-war film set in WWII Belarus. (Seemed an appropriate choice, given the circumstances and the fools playing games there currently.)

A stark, disturbing portrayal of yet another example of "man's inhumanity to man". A hard film to watch that doesn't pull any punches.

It's also, visually, a beautiful film, and, from a technical stand-point, it's brilliant. 

I'd never heard of it before, but doing some reading now it fully deserves it's reputation as a classic.

I'm going to give this a watch, it's free to view on YouTube. 

Black Metal Veins - A documentary about a group of heroin addicts as they slide into the darkest depths of their addiction. It's as bleak as it gets. Most of the characters have no discernible personality and are simply hellbent on destroying themselves through the conduit of their addiction.

There is one character that left an impression on me, though: her name is Raven. She's salvageable. You route for her to get out of the depravity that ensues. She's intelligent and self-aware, but unfortunately, she has a boyfriend who doesn't have the mental capacity to understand that you can become addicted to heroin. 

In some of the scenes, I just ended up shaking my head at the sheer nihilism of their actions and thought process. The end is clearly fake as well. It's been shoehorned in for shock value, and it kind of ruins what is otherwise a harrowing documentary about the excesses of drug use. It's strangely watchable, though. Don't approach it thinking it's about the music genre Black Metal like I did: it's not. 

7/10

11 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

It just hooks you in.

Don't think I ever went there, which is surprising as I lived on Sheil Road. Did that become Iceland?

Should your post be in, have you ever shagged your mates mum thingy?

It is Iceland  now was the Regent back then. I never shagged her yer dirty bastard !!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

"Come And See"

A few on here were discussing this a few weeks ago. May have been on the "greatest war film" thread though?

4 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

"Come And See"

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I'm going to give this a watch, it's free to view on YouTube. 

I watched it last week, horrifying. Truly grim. 

38 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Watched Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang again last night. Not seen it for years and it's better than I remember. Pissing myself at some of the sarcasm between Val Kilmer and Downey Jr. Michelle Monaghan is fit in it as well. 7.5/10 

preview.jpg

That's a brilliant film, back when Shane Black was making very good films like Lethal Weapon.