You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Untold: malice at the palace

Pretty interesting run through of the events and implications of an NBA brawl/riot 15 years ago. Sad that it had such an impact on Reggie's farewell, not much redemption on offer but worth a watch. Feel like they didn't really go into the whole "you don't know what's going on in athlete's minds" as I feel Arrest is the perfect example of why fans should know when to cool it with the bullshit.

Minamata - really hard film to stomach, mercury poisoning in Japan. Surprised at who was in it and made it very watchable. I'm giving it a harsh 7/10 as I genuinely felt quite unwell after watching it but I actually think it could be retrospectively considered a masterpiece. 

Beautiful but seriously dark and grim. 

Out of the Furnace - Netflix 

2013 film starring Christian Bale, Casey Affleck, Zoe Saldana, Woody Harrelson and Forest Whittaker. Produced by Ridley Scott and Leo Di Caprio. I'd never heard of it till I came across it on Netflix last night. 

Very gritty, some very good acting particularly from Casey Affleck. Woody Harrelson plays a right nasty bastard in it. The ending was pretty predictable, you kind of know where it's going from about half way through but still a good (if dark) watch. 7.5/10 

• Like 1

On 10/08/2021 at 18:56, Elite said:

Mortal Kombat - 7.5/10

Much better than I had anticipated. Great use of the characters from the game particularly Kano who is hilarious, the story is fun and doesn't out stay it's welcome and the action is great. 

Is this the version from the 1990s? 

5 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I'm watching the 90s version and I hoped there was a different one. The one from the 90s is awful. 

The new one is very good, don't be put off by the average reviews, they are talking bollocks.

Reds (1981)

A long drawn out, First World War epic starring Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson & Kay from The Godfather (I can never remember her fucking name). I watched it in two sittings, which didn't help as I really enjoyed the first half but lost interest a bit when I went back to it (more my problem than the films I think). Top performances from Nicholson & Kay here & definitely worth a watch I reckon.

Edit - Diane Keaton

Boss Level. 6.5/10.

Silly popcorn movie with the unbelievably ripped Frank Grillo as a man who wakes up living the same day over and over only to die each time at the hands of a number of bad guys out to get him. As he tries to navigate through the day he gets closer to understanding why.

Think Groundhog Day meets Kill Bill.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Boss Level. 6.5/10.

Silly popcorn movie with the unbelievably ripped Frank Grillo as a man who wakes up living the same day over and over only to die each time at the hands of a number of bad guys out to get him. As he tries to navigate through the day he gets closer to understanding why.

Think Groundhog Day meets Kill Bill.

Big fan of Frank Grillo. He is a very underrated actor. He's got the aesthetics for the tough guy roles but he was unbelievable good in Kingdom the TV show. His monologues were outstanding.

• Upvote 1

On 12/08/2021 at 23:04, Mook said:

Reds (1981)

A long drawn out, First World War epic starring Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson & Kay from The Godfather (I can never remember her fucking name). I watched it in two sittings, which didn't help as I really enjoyed the first half but lost interest a bit when I went back to it (more my problem than the films I think). Top performances from Nicholson & Kay here & definitely worth a watch I reckon.

Edit - Diane Keaton

I think Warren Beatty directed that too? I need to watch it.

Zulu - what a movie. Only let down by the terrible acting in the death scenes. 8/10

Jungle Cruise - decent little adventure film and if you’ve been on the theme park ride you’ll get a lot of the in jokes. Watchable couple of hours with the kids but even though Emily blunts a little darling, posh English accents really grind my gears. The Rock &  Jack Whitehall just being themselves. 

6.5 / 10

On 12/08/2021 at 22:45, Captain Turdseye said:

Jungle Cruise.

Jack Whitehall and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson kicking the shit out of 400 year old baddies.  

I don’t need to say anything else really. I think I’ve sold it to all of you. 

If it was Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson kicking the shit out of Jack Whitehall I’d be all in 

The United States versus Billie Holiday

Very good biopic, very surprising turn of events for basically a jazz singer. Music was really torn down back then, seems like the greats back in the day really had to go through it. Makes me wonder just how the modern musicians have it when they moan about how they can't have some privacy when people like Billie Holiday went to jail for her music. 7.5/10

Judas and the Black Messiah

Another biopic featuring a number of interesting characters involving the Black Panthers. Absolutely rivetting from start to finish. Brilliant performances all round. 8.5/10

Calibre- 7/10. Grim, oppressive and nightmarish little melodrama about the aftermath of a disastrous hunting trip in the Highlands. It's about 20 minutes too long, but it's very effective and up there with a good Iain Banks story in the dread, horror and attitudes of city folk towards the impoverished villagers up north. I actually dreamt about this after watching it, and the moral quandaries thrown up are really well realised.