You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Been making it a thing at weekends if the weather is shite to watch an old film from my childhood with my kid ( she’s 6 nearly 7). So far we’ve done Labyrinth, Goonies, Karate Kid. So today we did ET and I actually quite enjoyed it. The special effects have held up quite well. The John Williams score adds to the nostalgia and the child actors are all great in it. Had something in my eye at the end. 8/10.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Soft Joe said:

Been making it a thing at weekends if the weather is shite to watch an old film from my childhood with my kid ( she’s 6 nearly 7). So far we’ve done Labyrinth, Goonies, Karate Kid. So today we did ET and I actually quite enjoyed it. The special effects have held up quite well. The John Williams score adds to the nostalgia and the child actors are all great in it. Had something in my eye at the end. 8/10.

E.T. is the best family film of all time. Wonderful!

• Upvote 1

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom - 6.5/10. It’s very obvious that this is adapted from a play. The performances are decent but it wasn’t especially entertaining or thought-provoking even though it implicitly addresses the way racism constantly impinges on the lives of the characters even indirectly.

My main thought watching it was how ill Chadwick Boseman looks in it. Seeing how much weight he’d lost by this point makes it seem incredible that he was still working. 

On 16/02/2021 at 19:42, Paul said:

Avengers: Age of Ultron - 9/10. This is far better watched in the context of where the MCU is now, up to and including WandaVision. There are so many hints and set ups of things that are four, five or even six films beyond this, it’s incredible.

Captain America: Civil war is great after watching Falcon and the Winter Soldier. 

• Upvote 1

Tenet - Not as confusing as I thought it would be (or maybe I just didn't get it at all), technically dazzling but a rather cold film on the whole. Equating the fate of Kat's child with the possibility of Annihilation seemed a bit trite and since most characters were thinly sketched I couldn't have cared less about most of them. Did enjoy Pattison doing some sort of Peter O'Toole impression and John David Washington was good given the character didn't have a name or any real type of motivation. But ultimately it was complicated without giving me any real reason to feel engaged or connected with it. In no rush to watch it again or watch it backwards. 7 out of 10

13 hours ago, Soft Joe said:

You're not on your own there, it gets me every time, that and The Champ which fucking kills me.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Soft Joe said:

A great film from that era for you to watch together is the Evil Dead...

Bill and Ted Face the Music 5/10

I wasn’t expecting much from this and whilst it was a nice trip down nostalgia lane and wasn’t a badly made film it was just pretty forgettable, to be honest.

I laughed once or twice I think. All of the supporting characters were also pretty forgettable too. Felt rather rushed.

Bill and Ted were good though.

On 15/05/2021 at 21:57, Soft Joe said:

ET is an absolute classic. You can go up to the house on google maps. And in real life of course but not from the couch 

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

ET is an absolute classic. You can go up to the house on google maps. And in real life of course but not from the couch 

Growing up in Anfield then Huyton, the suburbs in ET seemed impossibly far away to me. Even now I STILL want to ride my BMX through those Californian streets...

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Growing up in Anfield then Huyton, the suburbs in ET seemed impossibly far away to me. Even now I STILL want to ride my BMX through those Californian streets...

Yep same here mate. Beautiful neighbourhood 

11 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Should have been an unlicensed scrambler bike.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Spielberg really cranks up the emotion in ET. Absolutely brilliant film. I don't think I could ever watch it and NOT cry at the end! The John Williams soundtrack is a cracker and I listen to it quite often. 

I watched Close Encounters for the first time in years at the weekend, another masterpiece and John Williams' score in that is his finest ever imo.

• Upvote 2

Dance of the 41 (El Baile de los 41) - Netflix. 

A decent movie about, erm, indecency? Well, perhaps a little artistic license, quelle surprise. It's the subtitled portrayal of a homosexual scandal that hit "high society" in Mexico at the turn of the 20th century. Very well acted and sumptuous sets. A few glimpses of winky-woos as well. What's not to like? 

7.5/10

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, rb14 said:

A decent movie about, erm, indecency? Well, perhaps a little artistic license, quelle surprise. It's the subtitled portrayal of a homosexual scandal that hit "high society" in Mexico at the turn of the 20th century. Very well acted and sumptuous sets. A few glimpses of winky-woos as well. What's not to like? 

7.5/10

Is this your way of 

maxresdefault.jpg

8 hours ago, rb14 said:

7.5/10

Winky-woos!!! Ha, ha, ha!!! 

• Upvote 1

Monster - Netflix Original (New movie) 

A young lad from a decent family in Harlem gets mixed up with some local wrong'uns and ends up on trial. Really well done, it's got Jeffrey Wright and Jennifer Hudson in it as well. Not the most original storyline but it's still very good. 7/10. 

Wish you were here - Amazon Prime

Watched this years ago and absolutely loved it. I'm going to watch it again tonight so it'll be interesting to see how it's aged, but back in the day, it would deffo have got a 9/10. Why do I post it here, before rewatching it? I just posted this on the Draft forum and didn't want you lot to miss one of international cinema's most wonderful scenes... 

• Upvote 2

On 05/05/2021 at 17:47, Carvalho Diablo said:

"Sir" Anthony Hopkins. He's happy to accept the knighthood but he surrendered his British citizenship when he became an American citizen.

Doesn't want to pay his fare share of tax in Blighty so he's all luvvied up in Hollywood, still kept the knighthood though.

He wants his cake and he wants to eat it too.

Sir Anthony, Citizen Hopkins - CBS News

Sir Anthony Hopkins has become a Yank, but he hasn't given up his British citizenship or his title.

"He has taken a dual citizenship. He hasn't renounced his British citizenship," his spokeswoman, Catherine Olim, said Thursday.