You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Just watched Shoplifters Of The World. Odd film. It's set in Denver 1987 to the backdrop of The Smiths breaking up. I didn't know the USA noticed but apparently so according to this. The film itself is like 3rd rate John Hughes but with a constant Smiths soundtrack and lyrics shoehorned into the dialogue at any opportunity. The female Smiths fans all dress like Madonna for some reason and the blokes don't get the English look either. A very American film about a very English band. Half a person out of person. Soundtrack is amazing obviously unless you hate the Smiths. 

• Upvote 1

Nobody 5/10.

Was hopeful it would be good, on the back of some good scores in here. Was average. 

Just whacked Good Will hunting on now. To save me coming back to the thread, it's 10/10. I enjoy it as much each time I watch it. Just brilliant. 

Good Time. Decent, taut thriller about a brothers' bank heist gone wrong and the chaos that unfolds in the aftermath.

It's a bit of an odd one, it obviously wants to be taken seriously as a gritty, meaningful film, but doesn't really have anything to say bar a story which could have been an excellent couple of TV episodes. It feels like it's half an hour too long, but doesn't really have any background or motivation as to why things are so. The shots are tight and claustrophobic, but then it almost veers into black comedy territory. The music is fucking terrible, it doesn't generally register with me but I found it really annoying and cheesy.

And yet, it's worth a watch, 7/10.

1 hour ago, John102 said:

Nobody 5/10.

Was hopeful it would be good, on the back of some good scores in here. Was average. 

I watched it straight after Shoplifters. Thought about the same as this really. It's watchable like but Bob Odenkirk is completely unbelievable for me in the role and despite being only around 90 minutes long it felt longer. 

Similar to what people have said above, watched Nobody, tonight and whilst it didn't blow me away, it wasn't the worst film ever, either.

I'd say watchable quirky shite that packs a bit of a punch but had massive nods and feel to the likes of the equalizer, john wick and spy kids. The latter being the bigger concern.

A highly unsurprising 6/10. 

A special mention to Connie Nielsen, who plays his wife and who is hardly in it, but she is well fit, and at 55 succulent years, well deserves a shout in the MILf thread. Oh yes, I'd suck her tenor-ladies bone dry. 

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

I’d have settled for a ‘when your clan led the invasion of my homeland they killed my family’ line. Just give me something. Throw me a frickin’ bone here.

It would have to be a Klan to make sense. Everything that starts with a C would have to start with a K.

Riders of Justice  10/10

Genuinely, the best film I've seen in a long time. A Danish story of loss and revenge with lashings of dark humour, sadness, violence, shoot-outs, poignancy and with a slight nod towards Pulp Fiction.

The interacting and character portrayals of Markus, Otto, Lennart and Emmnethaler are some of the most touching and funny I've seen in a long time. Superb film.

Go and watch or get this film, you won't be disappointed.

• Upvote 2

The Courier (2020)

I really cannot stand Cumberbatch's Sherlock, and the plummy voiced git just generally gets on my tits, but I must say he is flipping brilliant in this.

True story about a naive businessman who gets recruited by MI6 and is partly responsible for ensuring the Cuban missile crisis didn't end our world.

Slow, espionage thriller and very, very good.

8/10

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Courier (2020)

I really cannot stand Cumberbatch's Sherlock, and the plummy voiced git just generally gets on my tits, but I must say he is flipping brilliant in this.

True story about a naive businessman who gets recruited by MI6 and is partly responsible for ensuring the Cuban missile crisis didn't end our world.

8/10

Is Redder in it ?

• Upvote 3

Promising Young Woman - 7.5/10

Carey Mulligan is ace in this at portraying quietly rising rage - but the whole concept of pretending she is drunk and then miraculously sobering up at the point where men are taking advantage of her seems hugely dangerous. It is a beautifully shot movie (in the arty sense, although she does also look boss in a nurses uniform) with a semi-satisfying denouement. I really don't want to spoil too much given it's a relatively new film, so i will keep it at that. 

Watched a couple from Netflix last night 

American Assassin

A lad watches his new fiance get murderered in a terrorist attack so sets out for revenge. The CIA pick him up and use him. Very far fetched but actually enjoyable. Michael Keaton is good in it playing a veteran Navy Seal. 7/10. 

Stowaway

NASA engineer accidentally ends up in space on a 2 year Mars mission with a crew who realise they will all die because they don't have enough oxygen for 4. Not for me Clive although I've got a thing for Toni Collette (she isn't sexy at all in this) so that adds a point 3/10. 

Toni-Collette.jpg

41 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Carey Mulligan is ace in this at portraying quietly rising rage - but the whole concept of pretending she is drunk and then miraculously sobering up at the point where men are taking advantage of her seems hugely dangerous. It is a beautifully shot movie (in the arty sense, although she does also look boss in a nurses uniform) with a semi-satisfying denouement. I really don't want to spoil too much given it's a relatively new film, so i will keep it at that. 

I watched this a couple of weeks back.

I thought it was excellent apart from the cop out ending

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Watched a couple from Netflix last night 

American Assassin

A lad watches his new fiance get murderered in a terrorist attack so sets out for revenge. The CIA pick him up and use him. Very far fetched but actually enjoyable. Michael Keaton is good in it playing a veteran Navy Seal. 7/10. 

Stowaway

NASA engineer accidentally ends up in space on a 2 year Mars mission with a crew who realise they will all die because they don't have enough oxygen for 4. Not for me Clive although I've got a thing for Toni Collette (she isn't sexy at all in this) so that adds a point 3/10. 

Toni-Collette.jpg

Great actress and the best weeper in Hollywood.

5 hours ago, Total Longo said:

4 hours ago, redheart said:

I watched this a couple of weeks back.

I thought it was excellent apart from the cop out ending

I watched this a while back and I don't think I was quite as high on it as you lads.

A really strange and beguiling film, I ound it neither this nor that. Even Mulligan herself could be anywhere from mid 20s to late 30s in this, a really ambiguous, original, unsettling film which just didn't quite sit right.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Oh. She does it for me that series, Unbelievable where she plays the detective. 

8392769.jpg?format=pjpg&auto=webp&resize

A glassy eyed monster of an actress.

Physically, she seems to have lost a bit of weight and become a bit rugged in recent years. It made her role in Unvelieveable very believeable!

Great actress.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Courier (2020)

8/10

I like a good spy film. Where can it be watched?