You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Mule - Amazon Prime

Clint Eastwood stars in something about an elderly accidental drug runner. Far-fetched predictable dross. Switched it off 45 minutes in.

2/10

One Night In Miami - Amazon Prime

Came with the highest recommendations but we just couldn't engage with it. Might have been better as a documentary. Got bored and switched it off half way through.

4/10

The Witches (2020) - Robert Zemeckis version of the Roald Dahl book with Anne Hathaway and Octavia Spencer. A misfire in too many ways apart from they keep the book's ending, something the Nic Roeg version backed out of. The design of the witches is probably too frightening for very young children but the tone and depth of the rest of the film is too frothy and silly for older children and adults, so no one leaves happy. No problem with moving the location to the US deep south in the '50s but it never makes much reference to the obvious racial issues that would arise so it seemed pointless setting it there with black leads. Stanley Tucci wears a bald cap that looks like it was put on by the Doctor Who production team of the '70s and Anne Hathaway does the best she can with a role that's reduced to more silly than frightening. 3 out of 10

Coming 2 America - Love the original, one of my favourite comedies, and didn't expect much from this. It's a muddle, it's more or less a retread of the original with the scenario flipped and it's very flatly, blandly shot - it looks like any generic comedy from the last 15 years. Eddie Murphy's gut is quite distracting in some scenes but Shari Headley looks almost exactly the same as 30 years ago and amazing for 56. Jokes are referenced or reused from the original, which is fine, but if I wanted to see them I'd watch the much better original. Wesley Snipes looks like he's from a different movie, clearly enjoying himself or something else, and Akeem's three daughters are at least fairly dynamic and smart, though thinly sketched. Not a patch on the original but not a disaster, you end up thinking why did they bother? 6 out of 10

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

The Witches (2020) - Robert Zemeckis version of the Roald Dahl book with Anne Hathaway and Octavia Spencer. A misfire in too many ways apart from they keep the book's ending, something the Nic Roeg version backed out of. The design of the witches is probably too frightening for very young children but the tone and depth of the rest of the film is too frothy and silly for older children and adults, so no one leaves happy. No problem with moving the location to the US deep south in the '50s but it never makes much reference to the obvious racial issues that would arise so it seemed pointless setting it there with black leads. Stanley Tucci wears a bald cap that looks like it was put on by the Doctor Who production team of the '70s and Anne Hathaway does the best she can with a role that's reduced to more silly than frightening. 3 out of 10

Coming 2 America - Love the original, one of my favourite comedies, and didn't expect much from this. It's a muddle, it's more or less a retread of the original with the scenario flipped and it's very flatly, blandly shot - it looks like any generic comedy from the last 15 years. Eddie Murphy's gut is quite distracting in some scenes but Shari Headley looks almost exactly the same as 30 years ago and amazing for 56. Jokes are referenced or reused from the original, which is fine, but if I wanted to see them I'd watch the much better original. Wesley Snipes looks like he's from a different movie, clearly enjoying himself or something else, and Akeem's three daughters are at least fairly dynamic and smart, though thinly sketched. Not a patch on the original but not a disaster, you end up thinking why did they bother? 6 out of 10

I wanted to watch the CTA sequel last night but the kids kiboshed it. Looks like they were right. 

3 hours ago, rb14 said:

The Mule - Amazon Prime

Clint Eastwood stars in something about an elderly accidental drug runner. Far-fetched predictable dross. Switched it off 45 minutes in.

2/10

Far fetched ? It’s based on a true story isn’t it? Anyway it’s far better than a two you can’t really rate it if you only watched half 

2 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Me and the Mrs gave up after half an hour of Anne Hathaway shouting 

50 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Far fetched ? It’s based on a true story isn’t it? Anyway it’s far better than a two you can’t really rate it if you only watched half 

It is about 6/10, so if he watched only 45 of 120 minutes, that is about right, 2 or 3.

I Care A Lot

An incredibly confused and confusing, amoral and immoral disgusting mess of a film.

Neither this nor that, comedy or drama.

Rosamund Pike and Peter Dinklage star in this frustrating and angering fucking mess. The only highlight for me comes at the very end, fuck you capitalism, fuck you America.

3/10 Kodi Seren Real Debrid

Riled up now.

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I Care A Lot

An incredibly confused and confusing, amoral and immoral disgusting mess of a film.

Neither this nor that, comedy or drama.

Rosamund Pike and Peter Dinklage star in this frustrating and angering fucking mess. The only highlight for me comes at the very end, fuck you capitalism, fuck you America.

3/10 Kodi Seren Real Debrid

Riled up now.

Yeah, it made no sense, what were her (Pikes) motivations?

Just silly and confused like you said.

You keep watching it waiting for something to make you go 'Ah, I get it now', but nothing just poorly written and fleshed out.

22 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, it made no sense, what were her (Pikes) motivations?

Just silly and confused like you said.

You keep watching it waiting for something to make you go 'Ah, I get it now', but nothing just poorly written and fleshed out.

I was dying for Dinklage to meter out some natural justice. Does that make me a misogynist? Do I care?

Like you say Bruce, a confusing film.

Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

I was dying for Dinklage to meter out some natural justice. Does that make me a misogynist? Do I care?

Like you say Bruce, a confusing film.

I really like the premise of it, thought it had a lot of scope to be a really interesting film about greed and the state of America, but nether me nor the better half could escape the question of what are her motivations, why would she be doing this and taking it this far, what is the actual point?

I get she's amoral, but at some point self preservation would set in, surely?

The end was good, but you shouldn't get to that point with those characters, maddening film.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

There's no contradiction between far-fetched and a true story.

I think it's ok to rate half a movie; mostly because I just did. Twice actually. I reckon if I'd continued to see it to the end, it was more likely to get a 1. If I walk out of a movie halfway through because it's shite, am I not allowed to rate it? Hmmmm? What about three-quarters of the way through? Seven eighths? Ahhhh, see? Nerrrr. Go me. *Does that twisty dance thing where for some unknown reason, I hold my nose like I'm a girl about to jump in a swimming pool, stick my finger in the air with a bent elbow, kind of bend my knees and wobble.

6 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

@rb14 is the harshest film critic on here.

Ooooh, I'm soooo not.

4/10.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Very, very loud and it bored me tbh, the acting was absolutely awful.

4/10

Right. Where do I start with this? 

• "Very, very loud" - I have a remote control for this sort of issue.
  • "bored me" - I have a remote control for this sort of issue.
  • "acting was absolutely awful." - I have a ranking system for this sort of movie.
  • "4/10"  - And that's not it. 

1/10

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I barely watch a film these days because most of them are crap. This seems borne out by the marks most people on here give the latest films. I don’t get why so many of you sit through 2 hours of a film that you give a mark of between 2 and 4 out of 10. Fuck that shit. 

There's a choice of more films than have ever existed before available. 

9 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

There's a choice of more films than have ever existed before available. 

I’m aware of that, but I generally just wait for recommendations from mates or films on here I see getting 8, 9 or 10 out of 10. Bollocks to spending 2 hours watching some utter random shite.

Do The Right Thing, a Spike Lee effort from 1989 about an Italian/American family who have a pizza shop in a black neighbourhood in Brooklyn. Almost a comedy until the last 20 minutes when things go south & leaves a nasty taste in the mouth & a reminder that we could do with Martin Luther King kicking about nowadays. Not sure how to score it to be honest but definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

• Upvote 1