Quantcast
Rate the last film you watched... - Page 1256 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Elite

Rate the last film you watched...

1 hour ago, Mook said:

New Tom Hardy film about Al Capone is on Netflix today apparently.

Tempted to watch it but that mumbling bastard puts me off.

I'd watch that,but please tell me Hardy isn't playing Capone?

45 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd watch that,but please tell me Hardy isn't playing Capone?

Think I’d rather see Oliver Hardy playing Capone ...

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Elite said:

Didn't know anything about that.

Just googled it and it's got terrible reviews. How hard can it be to make a movie about Capone? Useless twats.

The gotti film made by Travolta is beyond appalling. Takes a special talent to make interesting stories so bad

• Upvote 2

Just now, littletedwest said:

The gotti film made by Travolta is beyond appalling. Takes a special talent to make interesting stories so bad

Yeah, the story is on a plate for them. I think they try to be too clever sometimes and make a complete bollocks of things.

1 minute ago, littletedwest said:

They definitely didn't try be too clever, think they let Travolta write it while under the influence or something 

He's under the influence of Scientology. He doesn't need anything else.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

He's under the influence of Scientology. He doesn't need anything else.

He has to give them loads of money though otherwise they'll tell everyone he's a bummer. 

2 hours ago, Elite said:

Yeah, the story is on a plate for them. I think they try to be too clever sometimes and make a complete bollocks of things.

The Irish man was the same, was looking forward to seeing it and turned it off bored. 

Just re-watched Donnie Brasco (Netflix). A decent cast but let down by often unconvincing dialogue, unfortunatelym porous plot and some very silly music. 

6.5/10. Enjoyable. 

Capone

Well. 

It's a niche snapshot of his final year, and in doing so they just decided to delve into something that was mostly incomprehensible. 

And I understand that was part of the intention of the film, to show how hellish his descent was into madness.  But there wasn't much of a film experience left other than to go "oh, yes that's shit to die from untreated syphillis". 

You learn nothing of the man, or anyone around him, not least because you're unsure what's real and what's not, and at times I'm unsure if it was intentional or just horrible writing and direction. 

Under usual circumstances one to miss, but the scarcity of new releases in the past year may lead you, like me, to chuck it on. 

Continuing on in my current vein of watching films that i never got around to when i was younger...

The Hills Have Eyes (1977) 5/10

I'm afraid the curly wigs and fake teeth just made me laugh. And don't get me started on the Wile E Coyote-esque booby traps. Absolutely howling laughing at that, and i honestly don't think that was Wes Craven's intention.    

Apocalypse Now: The Final Cut

It's a long time since I've watched Redux and even longer since I watched the old theatrical version. Three hours long and I enjoyed it tremendously but still kind of zoned out when he finally got to Kurtz. I need to look up the differences between them as I honestly can't remember what's from which version now, kind of like the different versions of Blade Runner and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Was just as revolted when they sacrificed the ox but read into it last night - apparently the production had gifted a pair of oxen to the village where they were filming. When he saw the way that the first one was feted then sacrificed, Coppola set up cameras for the next one and just let them roll. I loved reading about that - I'm going to need to read up further on the film now.

I also watched Heaven's Gate last week. Absolutely loved it and it really took me back to the mid-'90s, when I was first discovering and encountering all these amazing films like The Last Detail, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Harold and Maude, and The Exorcist. Didn't feel as long as the 3 hr + run time and I got thoroughly swept up in it.

• Upvote 2

On 31/01/2021 at 12:19, Stickman said:

Enduring Love ...Can’t give it a score as the start freaked me out that much I had to turn it off....

Usually when I see a film with disturbing images in the synopsis I’m all over it but this was too disturbing and too realistic...Might go back later in week.

Good cast though with Daniel Craig, Rhys Ifans , Bill Nighty and it’s on Film Four catch up 

You've seen the best bits. I wouldn't bother with the rest.

On 25/02/2021 at 21:26, Stickman said:

Think I’d rather see Oliver Hardy playing Capone ...

He did start off playing villains in the silent movies.

Back then, the standard thing was to cast a big bloke in the role of a "heavy" and have him fill the screen with huge, over-the-top movements. Oliver Hardy's simple/genius insight was that it was much funnier for a bloke that size to have genteel manners and dainty gestures.

On 09/02/2021 at 09:42, johnsusername said:

The Deer Hunter

A masterpiece, still. What a cast. Has De Niro ever been better? Raging Bull, perhaps. Just incredible. My only small criticism would be the overly long wedding scene. And it is now all these years later more of its time with some of the production style but that's just a fact of life watching an older film.

One of those great films (Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, Deliverance) you have to sit and immerse yourself in, no distractions. Less a movie, more an experience.

10/10. 

image.png

I used to like this but watched it again the other night and it was so fucking slow. A great 90 minute film. 

• Upvote 1

Martha Marcy May Marlene - Been trying to catch this for years but kept missing it. It's now on Star on Disney+ so was able to finally see it. Elizabeth Olsen escapes a cult and returns to normality living with her sister but finds the trauma and the real world difficult to deal with. Olsen's terrific in what was her first film role and the low key nature and style of the film suit the story. 8 out 0f 10

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I used to like this but watched it again the other night and it was so fucking slow. A great 90 minute film. 

Couldn’t agree more. Arguably the biggest change in cinema over the last thirty years - even including technology - is the pacing. So many films from the era of The Deer Hunter are ridiculously long; self-indulgently so, in many cases. 

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

Couldn’t agree more. Arguably the biggest change in cinema over the last thirty years - even including technology - is the pacing. So many films from the era of The Deer Hunter are ridiculously long; self-indulgently so, in many cases. 

Good point. 2 hours is my absolute limit these days. Can’t stand long drawn out scenes, life’s too short.,

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Good point. 2 hours is my absolute limit these days. Can’t stand long drawn out scenes, life’s too short.,

I do think it’s possible to go longer and maintain engagement but it’s rarely done well.

Tarantino is a shocker for a lack of self-discipline in the editing room. He just lets his films ramble these days but without either the quality or invention of Pulp Fiction. 

• Upvote 1