Quantcast
Rate the last film you watched... - Page 1254 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Elite

Rate the last film you watched...

On 14/02/2021 at 21:37, Carvalho Diablo said:

Nomadland

Wonderful film about those people who are on the shitty end of stick, those whose American Dream isn't always bunting and rainbows, the displaced and the dispossessed.

Frances McDormand is sensational, just hand over that Oscar now. She just gets better and better with age, better here even than her 3 Billboards turn which won her the best actress Oscar.

Many of the cast are real American nomads just playing themselves and McDormand (and the movie itself imo) really shines in those scenes and moments between them, where it feels ad libbed and very, very heartfelt.

The cinematography is top notch and the sparse score is absolutely pitch perfect.

Fabulous, loved it, made on the cheap without a green screen or superhero within a thousand miles.

8.5/10 Kodi - Fen - Real Debrid

If you enjoyed that then you may enjoy this. Its a similar theme. Very good. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Not being funny mate but are you obsessed with racism? It's just that you bring it up in every post, we'll I only read the music ones, it's a bit weird really. 

No offence like I said. 

Obsessed? No. Do I think it’s a massive issue in our society? Yes - I’m amazed anyone could think otherwise. Do I think someone saying “not being funny... [you're] a bit weird” in response to comments criticising racism is exactly the sort of thing I’m commenting on? Yep. 

In my view, the biggest issue with racism is that not enough white people confront their own views on race in an informed and honest way. 

As for this, I found the open use of the N

word towards Eddie Murphy quite shocking as I had forgotten how casual its use was in this film. Apart from that though, I thought the pacing, action and narrative were all quite dull by modern

standards. Hence the score I gave it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Obsessed? No. Do I think it’s a massive issue in our society? Yes - I’m amazed anyone could think otherwise. Do I think someone saying “not being funny... [you're] a bit weird” in response to comments criticising racism is exactly the sort of thing I’m commenting on? Yep. 

In my view, the biggest issue with racism is that not enough white people confront their own views on race in an informed and honest way. 

word towards Eddie Murphy quite shocking as I had forgotten how casual its use was in this film. Apart from that though, I thought the pacing, action and narrative were all quite dull by modern

I haven’t watched 48 Hrs. for some time but from memory the on-screen chemistry between Murphy and Nolte is great.

5 hours ago, Paul said:

How queer. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Paul do me a favour pal, don't rewatch American History X. 

Ha, ha, ha!!! Great film. 

20 hours ago, Paul said:

I rewatched Mrs Doubtfire with my missus and my daughter a few weeks ago, and the casual transphobia stood out, but the one bit of extremely casual, surprising and unnecessary racism at the end did more. It was jarring. 

I had no memory of it being in the film at all but probably haven’t watched it since I was in my teens, when I was sufficiently ignorant and racist that I’d likely have laughed at it and moved on.

rewatching older films through the lens of today can’t help but show up some of the changes in acceptable use of language and attitudes and often I find it simple to look past, but often it isn’t and what had once been enjoyable to watch no longer is.

as for Mrs Doubtfire, it remains a throughly entertaining family film, but I would understand if a trans person didn’t agree, and I’d feel a bit awkward at that one point if I was watching it alongside an Asian friend, but I pile expect we’d likely laugh about it’s really odd place in the film.

On 28/01/2021 at 14:58, Total Longo said:

I quite like the look of "The Captain" on Prime but it advertises it as being 3 hours and 58 minutes, which is a slog.

Elsewhere it's advertised as  118 minutes though.  Anyone seen it?

Watch The Captain | Prime Video

Watched "The Captain" on Prime last night. Loved it. It is indeed around the two hours mark. Did the black and white version. Wonderful pastiche during the closing credits too. Proper class. 

8.5 pushing 9/10.

Legacy Of Lies - 5/10. On Netflix at the moment. King of direct-to-video/streaming action flicks, Scott Adkins, tries to do Jason Bourne. Mostly badly. Actually has some very nice location work and a couple of decent hand-to-hand fights, but the acting is generally mediocre, the plot generic, and it laughably tries to tack on a weighty monologue on freedom of the press like it’s a vehicle for profundity, not a sub-par popcorn flick.

On 20/02/2021 at 15:47, Tony Moanero said:

I haven’t watched 48 Hrs. for some time but from memory the on-screen chemistry between Murphy and Nolte is great.

I tried to watch The French Connection 2 not long ago but couldn't due to the embarrassing xenophobic script given to Gene Hackman. It made me cringe,and it wasn't a patch on the brilliant original.

AK Vs AK - on Netflix, quite a meta movie where actor Anil Kapoor and director Anurag Kashyap play themselves. An incident in a Q&A leads one to kidnap the daughter of the other. Really fun, funny and dark and highly recommended. 8/10

Interstellar - 

I’ve got no idea how to rate or explain what I’ve just watched but if you’ve got a daughter it’ll be very emotional. 

• Upvote 2

Danny Says. Documentary about Danny Fields who spent years working in the music industry. Starts slow because he's far from the most interesting person here, gets better with Andy Warhol, Edie Sedgwick, Nico & the Velvets and moves up a gear again with the MC5 and the Stooges. New York Dolls, Doors and Ramones also in here amongst others. Some great footage and tales. 7/10.

Red State. Cult movie by Kevin Smith. 7/10.

9 hours ago, Red74 said:

Interstellar - 

I’ve got no idea how to rate or explain what I’ve just watched but if you’ve got a daughter it’ll be very emotional. 

For the rating part, you just pick a number between one and ten (based on how much you liked the film) and then score it appropriately...  

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Red74 said:

Interstellar - 

9.5/10. Superb movie. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

9.5/10. Superb movie. 

I honestly loved it but I had to google after it just what was going on with the earth at the start (as I can’t remember them mentioning  the blight) the end of the film (because I just cannot get my head round the space, time, gravity, black hole thing) and not being able to understand a word McConaughey was mumbling in the first 20 minutes so points reductions there. 

Other than those minor points the  acting was out of the top drawer from all of them and the scale was like nothing else. Wish I’d have seen it in the pics when it came out.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen McConaughey turn in a bad performance. Brilliant actor. 

Emotional 8 / 10 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I honestly loved it but I had to google after it just what was going on with the earth at the start (as I can’t remember them mentioning  the blight) the end of the film (because I just cannot get my head round the space, time, gravity, black hole thing) and not being able to understand a word McConaughey was mumbling in the first 20 minutes so points reductions there. 

Other than those minor points the  acting was out of the top drawer from all of them and the scale was like nothing else. Wish I’d have seen it in the pics when it came out.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen McConaughey turn in a bad performance. Brilliant actor. 

Emotional 8 / 10 

I've seen it about 10 times and still don't fully get it but that doesn't matter. Agreed about the pictures too. The scene when they land on that water planet is outstanding. McConaughey is a superb actor, one of my all time favourites. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/02/2021 at 19:10, Reckoner said:

Not a new film but saw Dead Mans Shoes recently. Absolutely superb. I don’t rate 90% of films I watch, but that was fucking cool. Dark though.

I’m going to give them a super duper fucking dose, send them to space, man.

Ace film.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Red74 said:

Emotional 8 / 10 

10 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I've seen it about 10 times and still don't fully get it but that doesn't matter. Agreed about the pictures too. The scene when they land on that water planet is outstanding. McConaughey is a superb actor, one of my all time favourites. 

It's the best film made in the last ten years, no contest for me. 

Did see it at the time, in IMAX no less, and it was mindblowing.

• Upvote 1

The Debt - Netflix

Jessica Chastain helps track down the surgeon of berkenau. Came out in 2010 but I'd never heard of it, worth a watch but be warned you see her feet at one point and they are fucking revolting 6/10. 

On 21/02/2021 at 23:20, Red74 said:

Interstellar - 

On 22/02/2021 at 08:26, Total Longo said:

For the rating part, you just pick a number between one and ten (based on how much you liked the film) and then score it appropriately...  

Brilliant. 

And for the "explain" part, maybe start by mentioning where I can see it so I don't have to spend twenty billion light years going through the mind-numbing search facilities of Prime, Netflix, iPlayer, All4, etc.