You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

48 Hours - 6/10. Haven’t watched this in 30 years and it hasn’t aged at all well. The blatant racism is pretty shocking but also the plot and action aren’t great either. It remains an influential film, but it’s no longer an entertaining one. 

The Dawn Of The Dead (2004) - 7.5/10. This is taut and well-paced and the direction for a low budget film is brilliant. When you watch this, you can see exactly how Zach Snyder built a reputation as a director. Shame he fucked it up later on. James Gunn on the screenplay too. Overall, very entertaining. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

48 Hours - 6/10. Haven’t watched this in 30 years and it hasn’t aged at all well. The blatant racism is pretty shocking but also the plot and action aren’t great either. It remains an influential film, but it’s no longer an entertaining one. 

The Dawn Of The Dead (2004) - 7.5/10. This is taut and well-paced and the direction for a low budget film is brilliant. When you watch this, you can see exactly how Zach Snyder built a reputation as a director. Shame he fucked it up later on. James Gunn on the screenplay too. Overall, very entertaining. 

Not being funny mate but are you obsessed with racism? It's just that you bring it up in every post, we'll I only read the music ones, it's a bit weird really. 

No offence like I said. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Stan and Ollie, I've got hand it to them how they portrayed those to comedy geniuses, I even laughed at one bit like I do at the real ones and a watery eye at the end, very good. 

Steve Coogan and John C Reilly were fantastic in it. They got the mannerisms spot on.

You're right about the watery eyes as well.

Very poignant.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

Never Rarely Sometimes Always is a small, very well made, indie film about a pregnant teenager travelling to New York for an abortion. No explosions, no tits, no superheroes. The two young leads are superb. 8/10.

The obvious question is why specifically New York?

On 14/02/2021 at 21:37, Carvalho Diablo said:

Nomadland

Wonderful film about those people who are on the shitty end of stick, those whose American Dream isn't always bunting and rainbows, the displaced and the dispossessed.

Frances McDormand is sensational, just hand over that Oscar now. She just gets better and better with age, better here even than her 3 Billboards turn which won her the best actress Oscar.

Many of the cast are real American nomads just playing themselves and McDormand (and the movie itself imo) really shines in those scenes and moments between them, where it feels ad libbed and very, very heartfelt.

The cinematography is top notch and the sparse score is absolutely pitch perfect.

Fabulous, loved it, made on the cheap without a green screen or superhero within a thousand miles.

8.5/10 Kodi - Fen - Real Debrid

If you enjoyed that then you may enjoy this. Its a similar theme. Very good. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Not being funny mate but are you obsessed with racism? It's just that you bring it up in every post, we'll I only read the music ones, it's a bit weird really. 

No offence like I said. 

Obsessed? No. Do I think it’s a massive issue in our society? Yes - I’m amazed anyone could think otherwise. Do I think someone saying “not being funny... [you're] a bit weird” in response to comments criticising racism is exactly the sort of thing I’m commenting on? Yep. 

In my view, the biggest issue with racism is that not enough white people confront their own views on race in an informed and honest way. 

As for this, I found the open use of the N

word towards Eddie Murphy quite shocking as I had forgotten how casual its use was in this film. Apart from that though, I thought the pacing, action and narrative were all quite dull by modern

standards. Hence the score I gave it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Obsessed? No. Do I think it’s a massive issue in our society? Yes - I’m amazed anyone could think otherwise. Do I think someone saying “not being funny... [you're] a bit weird” in response to comments criticising racism is exactly the sort of thing I’m commenting on? Yep. 

In my view, the biggest issue with racism is that not enough white people confront their own views on race in an informed and honest way. 

word towards Eddie Murphy quite shocking as I had forgotten how casual its use was in this film. Apart from that though, I thought the pacing, action and narrative were all quite dull by modern

I haven’t watched 48 Hrs. for some time but from memory the on-screen chemistry between Murphy and Nolte is great.

5 hours ago, Paul said:

How queer. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Paul said:

I rewatched Mrs Doubtfire with my missus and my daughter a few weeks ago, and the casual transphobia stood out, but the one bit of extremely casual, surprising and unnecessary racism at the end did more. It was jarring. 

I had no memory of it being in the film at all but probably haven’t watched it since I was in my teens, when I was sufficiently ignorant and racist that I’d likely have laughed at it and moved on.

rewatching older films through the lens of today can’t help but show up some of the changes in acceptable use of language and attitudes and often I find it simple to look past, but often it isn’t and what had once been enjoyable to watch no longer is.

as for Mrs Doubtfire, it remains a throughly entertaining family film, but I would understand if a trans person didn’t agree, and I’d feel a bit awkward at that one point if I was watching it alongside an Asian friend, but I pile expect we’d likely laugh about it’s really odd place in the film.

On 28/01/2021 at 14:58, Total Longo said:

I quite like the look of "The Captain" on Prime but it advertises it as being 3 hours and 58 minutes, which is a slog.

Elsewhere it's advertised as  118 minutes though.  Anyone seen it?

Watch The Captain | Prime Video

Watched "The Captain" on Prime last night. Loved it. It is indeed around the two hours mark. Did the black and white version. Wonderful pastiche during the closing credits too. Proper class. 

8.5 pushing 9/10.

Legacy Of Lies - 5/10. On Netflix at the moment. King of direct-to-video/streaming action flicks, Scott Adkins, tries to do Jason Bourne. Mostly badly. Actually has some very nice location work and a couple of decent hand-to-hand fights, but the acting is generally mediocre, the plot generic, and it laughably tries to tack on a weighty monologue on freedom of the press like it’s a vehicle for profundity, not a sub-par popcorn flick.

On 20/02/2021 at 15:47, Tony Moanero said:

I haven’t watched 48 Hrs. for some time but from memory the on-screen chemistry between Murphy and Nolte is great.

I tried to watch The French Connection 2 not long ago but couldn't due to the embarrassing xenophobic script given to Gene Hackman. It made me cringe,and it wasn't a patch on the brilliant original.

Danny Says. Documentary about Danny Fields who spent years working in the music industry. Starts slow because he's far from the most interesting person here, gets better with Andy Warhol, Edie Sedgwick, Nico & the Velvets and moves up a gear again with the MC5 and the Stooges. New York Dolls, Doors and Ramones also in here amongst others. Some great footage and tales. 7/10.

Red State. Cult movie by Kevin Smith. 7/10.